Room by Emma Donoghue

Room (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Emma Donoghue

9,056780331 (4.05)1 / 857
Member:ivyd
Title:Room
Authors:Emma Donoghue
Info:Back Bay Books: Little, Brown and Company (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback
Tags:12 in 12

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user, bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (753)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (780)
Room is a harrowing story narrated by our Mr. Five, the superhero named Jack. The reader is brought into his world from the first and I was impressed by Donoghue's ability to walk the fine line of having a five year old as a narrator. Though narration by a child is not something everyone enjoys, I found that it added a very poignant layer to the story and drew me closer in to its events.

I have to say that I held off on reading Room because I wasn't sure what I would be in store for. My immediate associations with this book consisted of childhood trauma, abduction, and the bare bones I'd seen concerning various stories in the news. I was worried it would sensationalize the real life horrors of such a situation at the behest of intrigue or that it would flop to the opposite side of the spectrum, that shards of callous indifference would be thinly veiled from cover to cover - cutting and diminishing with each page.

For this reason I ended up passing on previous group reads that featured Room, unable to make up my mind concerning whether it would be worth the read or not. However, I spotted it while I was browsing at the library and picked it up. I'm glad I did.

For one, I'm glad it was this version because there is an excellent interview with Emma Donoghue at the back in which she goes into the depths of this project. I enjoyed reading it immensely because there are certainly a lot of layers to this work and a lot of literary representation/allusions. Secondly, it pulled at me. Donoghue opens up a window of pretty intense vulnerability with Jack's translation of the world around him and I liked that there were two distinct parts of the book that each give us insight into the other while also standing firmly within their own vibe, their own purpose.

That being said, it wasn't an easy read. Emotionally, that is. We live in a society that is largely numb (though so much better than former times) to the results of rape, the magnitude of a situation like this. We are deluged by such matters, whether it is being bandied about by idiotic comedians who think they've found a "new" edge, sensationalized by some news outlet, or it's just the next primetime show's plot arc. The voice of Donoghue's JackerJack certainly has the ability to cut through a large part of that societal numbness but vulnerability and true empathy are never easy things.

I think Donoghue put a lot into this book and I think it's a pretty important book. I think it's enjoyable in its sincerity and the closeness between Ma and Jack while being devastating at the same time. I think Room will be a small weight on my heart for a long time. ( )
  lamotamant | Jun 23, 2016 |
This book made me so uncomfortable that I had to fight the urge to look up the ending every time I started listening to it. But despite the total discomfort, I still had to finish it. So that means it was good, right? ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I LOVED this book and did not want it to end. ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Meet Jack. He's 5 today, and he celebrates with Ma in Room, where he has lived his entire life. This harrowing tale of long-term captivity and its effects is narrated flawlessly by Michal Friedman and Ellen Archer, who voice Jack and Ma with depth and feeling. The two additional narrators, Robert Petkoff and Suzanne Toren, deliver perfectly nuanced supporting characters. Told from Jack's perspective, the story recounts his and Ma's days in Room, where they're held hostage by Old Nick, and the planning of their Great Escape. Once it happens, however, assimilation into life outside proves to be less seamless than Ma anticipated. Friedman's Jack is winsome, lovable, and thoroughly credible. Expressing a 5-year-old's emotions amid subject matter like this is an enormous undertaking, and Friedman delivers. (Audiobook reviewed for AudioFile Magazine, 2010) ( )
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
  kristi_test_05 | Jun 20, 2016 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Donoghue, Emmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Volhejnová, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born & grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, & fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery & a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,916,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible