Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue

Room: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Emma Donoghue

9,301795322 (4.05)1 / 880
Title:Room: A Novel
Authors:Emma Donoghue
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2012), Edition: Reprint, Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user, bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    Descent by Tim Johnston (KatyBee)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (766)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (793)
Have you ever been alone with a five-year-old for any length of time? Never have I disliked a child as much as I disliked Jack at the beginning of this book. The tweeness of it made me queasy. Seriously, if I had no one else to talk to, I'd make sure his grammar wasn't quite so pwecious. But, then, we get out of Room, and I, like Jack's mother can heave a deep sigh of fresh air and relief.

Didn't love it. The problem is that the whole story is told by Jack and his story is very concrete and not very interesting. Donoghue does an accurate enough version of his developmental age, but there isn't much going on in his mind at that age. Ma's story is what interests me, and we never even learn her name. ( )
  Kaethe | Oct 16, 2016 |
the story is about a girl that was kidnapped and raises her young son in one room how she keeps her son away from the abuser and realizes there is a better life outside the room for him and plots their escape....this book was very well written and a heart touching book to read.... ( )
  patty1323 | Oct 14, 2016 |
Read it in one go in a handful of hours. Too tired for more of a review. I'll come back to it.

After coming back:
A brilliant and disturbing story. It's unsettling to read about such horrific things from the point of view of a boy who sees everything and understands nothing.

Longer review on my BookTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8PUv_pbdnA ( )
  bastardreading | Oct 12, 2016 |
Great novel! ( )
  JennysBookBag.com | Sep 28, 2016 |
Room is a harrowing story narrated by our Mr. Five, the superhero named Jack. The reader is brought into his world from the first and I was impressed by Donoghue's ability to walk the fine line of having a five year old as a narrator. Though narration by a child is not something everyone enjoys, I found that it added a very poignant layer to the story and drew me closer in to its events.

I have to say that I held off on reading Room because I wasn't sure what I would be in store for. My immediate associations with this book consisted of childhood trauma, abduction, and the bare bones I'd seen concerning various stories in the news. I was worried it would sensationalize the real life horrors of such a situation at the behest of intrigue or that it would flop to the opposite side of the spectrum, that shards of callous indifference would be thinly veiled from cover to cover - cutting and diminishing with each page.

For this reason I ended up passing on previous group reads that featured Room, unable to make up my mind concerning whether it would be worth the read or not. However, I spotted it while I was browsing at the library and picked it up. I'm glad I did.

For one, I'm glad it was this version because there is an excellent interview with Emma Donoghue at the back in which she goes into the depths of this project. I enjoyed reading it immensely because there are certainly a lot of layers to this work and a lot of literary representation/allusions. Secondly, it pulled at me. Donoghue opens up a window of pretty intense vulnerability with Jack's translation of the world around him and I liked that there were two distinct parts of the book that each give us insight into the other while also standing firmly within their own vibe, their own purpose.

That being said, it wasn't an easy read. Emotionally, that is. We live in a society that is largely numb (though so much better than former times) to the results of rape, the magnitude of a situation like this. We are deluged by such matters, whether it is being bandied about by idiotic comedians who think they've found a "new" edge, sensationalized by some news outlet, or it's just the next primetime show's plot arc. The voice of Donoghue's JackerJack certainly has the ability to cut through a large part of that societal numbness but vulnerability and true empathy are never easy things.

I think Donoghue put a lot into this book and I think it's a pretty important book. I think it's enjoyable in its sincerity and the closeness between Ma and Jack while being devastating at the same time. I think Room will be a small weight on my heart for a long time. ( )
  lamotamant | Sep 22, 2016 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)
This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.
the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.
Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)
Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Donoghue, Emmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Volhejnová, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born & grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, & fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery & a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,764,901 books! | Top bar: Always visible