Room : a novel by Emma Donoghue

Room : a novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Emma Donoghue

8,674741351 (4.05)1 / 841
Member:riofriotex
Title:Room : a novel
Authors:Emma Donoghue
Info:New York : Back Bay Books, c2011.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2012, local book club

Room by Emma Donoghue (Author) (2010)

Recently added byprivate library, PrueGallagher, marley.lamb, lrquinn, SaraNoH, cmy4x6, e-zReader, bellisc, benderca
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user, bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (713)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All languages (740)
Unfortunately, I'm a little slow getting around to this review, so I may fail expressing the great joy I had reading Room. The feelings I experienced at the time were powerful. This is one of the most enthralling books I've read in recent times.

Told in the voice of five-year-old Jack, the novel is initially difficult to get into, but once it picks up, it's really wonderful. The voice never changes and it is hard to imagine how a book with such a strange narrative style can become so powerful. In itself, Room is not a complicated or intellectual novel, but its implementation of the child's voice is very brilliant. It's done exceptionally well and really is what makes this book stand above so many others. Jack's perspective, having spent his entire life confined to a single room, is extremely unique yet universal. At some point, we all saw the world for the first time. Once upon a time, we left a small, cramped space and entered a universe that was massive and completely foreign. Maybe our story of how we got to this new world was an intense as Jack's. And oh, wow, how intense was Jack's emergence! I cannot remember the last time I was so enthralled with a scene in a book. My heart was racing. I couldn't put the book down.

The second half of Room is certainly mild in comparison to the first half, but it's not a letdown. This is the story that needs to be told. The first half, while much more memorable, merely sets up the drama that is at the heart of this story.

And that ending: perfect. I wasn't really expecting to enjoy this novel as much as I did, but I think it was done really well. Brilliant work of literature? Maybe not. But make no mistake, Room is intelligently drawn and vitally important to a better understanding of abuse and human nature. Emma Donoghue's hit novel is a wild ride that will stick with me for years to come. ( )
  chrisblocker | Feb 10, 2016 |
I LOVED this book! Who knew narration of a 5 year old could be so insightful. Jack makes some very keen observations as he struggles to come to terms with the strange Outside. Read it! ( )
  tashlyn88 | Feb 5, 2016 |
I enjoyed this book. It was different from anything I've ever read. The subject matter is difficult, but the author handles it well. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Narrated by Michal Friedman, Ellen Archer, Suzanne Toren, Robert Petkoff. The big highlight of this audio production is Jack. On hearing the story begin, I swore it was a child reading, but as it progressed, I could not believe that even the most gifted child actor could read this story with such fluency, inflection and emotion. Turns out Michal Friedman is a woman who's done voicework for a Speed Racer cartoon, and her work as Jack completely brings readers into Jack's world and head. A couple of the adult voices seemed stiff at times, especially that of Old Nick and Ma (Nick did not come off sounding as evil as I would expect ). A compelling story about kidnapping, parenting, and the huge capacity of child development. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Donoghue, EmmaAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Volhejnová, VeronikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born & grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, & fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery & a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,196,562 books! | Top bar: Always visible