Room : a novel by Emma Donoghue

Room : a novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Emma Donoghue

9,573816301 (4.05)1 / 893
Member:riofriotex
Title:Room : a novel
Authors:Emma Donoghue
Info:New York : Back Bay Books, c2011.
Collections:Your library, Reviewed
Rating:****1/2
Tags:2012, local book club

Room by Emma Donoghue (2010)

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (Anonymous user, bookwormjules)
    bookwormjules: The authors both get inside the head of the young narrator wonderfully, and make it believable.
    We Need To Talk About Kevin by Lionel Shriver (Amsa1959)
    Amsa1959: The novel about Kevin is a much darker and sad story, but it it is about a special boy and his family, and it is a MUST READ novel. It is also - like Room - a novel that makes you think and reflect of our world and lives.
    A Stolen Life: A Memoir by Jaycee Dugard (mreader)
    Still Missing by Chevy Stevens (cafepithecus)
    Misery by Stephen King (albavirtual)
    albavirtual: ambos libros tienen un alto componenente psicológico, la mente humana llevada al extremo.
    Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer (Niecierpek)
    Niecierpek: We go through a serious and heart-breaking topic (9/11 in Foer's case) through a narration by a precocious child narrator in both books.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (soffitta1)
    soffitta1: What connects the books, for me, is the way the story unfolds, with the reader being more clued in as to what is happening around the child at the centre.
    Me & Emma by Elizabeth Flock (amz310783)
    My Abandonment by Peter Rock (gaialover)
    Living Dead Girl by Elizabeth Scott (kaledrina)
    Dog Boy by Eva Hornung (PatMock)
    PatMock: Young boy raised by wild dogs in Moscow.
    What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? by Henry Farrell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: The terror of being at the mercy of an irrational, evil captor is effectively depicted in both books.
    Descent by Tim Johnston (KatyBee)
    Y by Marjorie Celona (Iudita)
    Iudita: Another story about a troubled childhood, narrated by the child.
    Mice by Gordon Reece (wonderlake)
    wonderlake: Bad things happening to mothers and their children
    House of Stairs by William Sleator (_Zoe_)
    Monster Love by Carol Topolski (tina1969)
    The Mysterious Howling by Maryrose Wood (_Zoe_)
    _Zoe_: These books are completely different in style; The Mysterious Howling is a lighthearted children's book while Room is more serious and intended for adults. But if you enjoy the theme of a child with an unusual background being reintegrated into society, you may appreciate both of these books.… (more)

English (788)  Dutch (10)  Spanish (5)  German (5)  Danish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (2)  French (1)  All (815)
Review: Room by Emma Donoghue

This was a heartwarming but fantastic story. The book was filled with creative insight, imagination, well written and I love the idea that the author went with Jack as the narrator. Throughout the book it showed how a young mind picks up on things and what their perspective captures. When I started the book I had no idea a young boy was going to tell me a story about the “Room” , his views, and the years he and his mother was isolated and how they spent their time. As I read the story was told in a way that didn’t give any hints or clues where the story was leading. It’s like it started out in slow motion and than “Wham” things started coming together for me. It’s amazing how the author organized the story creatively step by step. The story is captivating, informative, absorbing, to the very last page.

The story is about a nineteen year old girl who was abducted and held in a secured, secluded backyard shed for seven years. While secluded there she gave birth to Jack. When the story started Jack had just turned five-years-old, very adorable, loving, and smart. Jack voice conveys all the innocence and honesty of a child who tells things as he sees them.

His mother did a wonderful job creating a world in that room to keep him safe and entertained. Her imagination for passing the time with games using very few resources was incredible. Her love for Jack was so deep and overwhelming and when Jack turned five the mother started refreshing some of the things she told Jack over the past few years. She believed it was time to begin telling Jack the truth about the outside world…..

This is where Jack wasn’t sure what was true because his mother coddled him for five years and he never really knew there was any other place or people besides, “old Nick” and the confines of the small room they lived in. That room was his world and he was content with it because he knew of nothing else. As the story goes on we learn about their daily life, the strong relationship he has with his mother, their daring escape attempt, the shock of learning that there was an outside and it was real. His sheltered existence makes Jack unprepared for the complexities of his new world even normal weather events bothers him, interacting with family and other people is really hard for him and as your reading you hear it in his voice and you see this new scary world through his eyes…. ( )
  Juan-banjo | Feb 23, 2017 |
Emma Donoghue has reached into my chest, grabbed hold of my heart, ripped it out and then thrown it with tremendous force into the sun which then exploded into a million pieces. That's what it felt like to read this tremendous, emotional novel of a young boy who lives the first five years of his life in captivity with his mother, both prisoners in the Room. I was going to quote choice bits from the novel but I realized I'd be quoting so much of it, I might as well quote the whole thing. I now see why so many of my fellow bibliophiles wouldn't stop talking about this book the year it first came out.

Content warning: Room contains discussion/descriptions of abuse, rape, assault, kidnapping, miscarriages/abortions, and non-explicitly written violence. ( )
  SarahHayes | Feb 20, 2017 |
I'm torn between a 3 and 4 star rating. The inconsistencies in Jack's language/thoughts/behavior were too frequent to overlook but yet it was Jack's voice and perspective that I found most compelling. The second half of the book was rather slow after an unbelievable plot turn. Yet, overall, I would recommend the book to others, with reservations. I do highly recommend the audio version.

** edited to add a 4 star rating. I was rightly reminded that if a book stays with me and I continue to think about it more than usual then it's a better than "good" book even if there were some things about it that bothers me :-) ( )
  janb37 | Feb 13, 2017 |
Slow, annoying start with the child narrator and the labeling. Got much better. ( )
  ncruse37 | Feb 8, 2017 |
"surely this entire audio book will not be read in the voice of an irritating child? surely the only thing worse than having to read written babytalk is listening to an adult poorly emulate it?" argh
  weeta | Jan 27, 2017 |
Room is disturbing, thrilling, and emotionally compelling. Emma Donoghue has produced a novel that is sure to stay in the minds of readers for years to come.
added by lkernagh | editQuill & Quire, Dory Cerny (Oct 1, 2010)

This is a truly memorable novel, one that can be read through myriad lenses — psychological, sociological, political. It presents an utterly unique way to talk about love, all the while giving us a fresh, expansive eye on the world in which we live.

the book’s second half is less effective than its first. Perhaps this is inevitable given the changed circumstances of the protagonists. The walls that enclosed them also intensified their drama.

Wrenching, as befits the grim subject matter, but also tender, touching and at times unexpectedly funny.
added by Shortride | editKirkus Reviews (Aug 1, 2010)

Donoghue's great strength -- apart from her storytelling gift -- is her emotional intelligence. We get just enough information to feel uncomfortable -- and therefore, to question our assumptions about how family life ought to be; and to know that life will always be an unequal struggle.

Donoghue, Emmaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Zhang, DingqiTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Has the adaptation

My Child

Such trouble I have.

And you sleep, your heart is placid;

you dream in the joyless wood;

in the night nailed in bronze,

in the blue dark you lie still and shine.

Simonides (C. 556-468 BCE), "Danae" (tr. Richmond Lattimore)
Room is for Finn & Una, my best works.
Today I'm five.
In Room I was safe and Outside is the scary.
In the world I notice persons are nearly always stressed and have no time. Even Grandma often says that, but she and Steppa don't have jobs, so I don't know how persons with jobs do the jobs and all the living as well. In Room me and Ma had time for everything. I guess the time gets spread very thin like butter all over the world, the roads and houses and playgrounds and stores, so there's only a little smear of time on each place, then everyone has to hurry on to the next bit.

The entire story told from the perspective of a 5 year old little boy. Room is his entire world. Where he was born & grew up. It's where he lives with his Ma as they learn & read & eat & sleep & play. At night, his Ma shuts him safely in the wardrobe, where he is meant to be asleep when Old Nick visits. Room is home to Jack, but to Ma, it is the prison where Old Nick has held her captive for seven years. Through determination, ingenuity, & fierce motherly love, Ma has created a life for Jack. But she knows it's not enough. not for her or for him. She devises a bold escape plan, one that relies on her young son's bravery & a lot of luck. What she does not realize is just how unprepared she is for the plan to actually work.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316098337, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, September 2010: In many ways, Jack is a typical 5-year-old. He likes to read books, watch TV, and play games with his Ma. But Jack is different in a big way--he has lived his entire life in a single room, sharing the tiny space with only his mother and an unnerving nighttime visitor known as Old Nick. For Jack, Room is the only world he knows, but for Ma, it is a prison in which she has tried to craft a normal life for her son. When their insular world suddenly expands beyond the confines of their four walls, the consequences are piercing and extraordinary. Despite its profoundly disturbing premise, Emma Donoghue's Room is rife with moments of hope and beauty, and the dogged determination to live, even in the most desolate circumstances. A stunning and original novel of survival in captivity, readers who enter Room will leave staggered, as though, like Jack, they are seeing the world for the very first time. --Lynette Mong

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:10:24 -0400)

Narrator Jack and his mother, who was kidnapped seven years earlier when she was a 19-year-old college student, celebrate his fifth birthday. They live in a tiny, 11-foot-square soundproofed cell in a converted shed in the kidnapper's yard. The sociopath, whom Jack has dubbed Old Nick, visits at night, grudgingly doling out food and supplies. But Ma, as Jack calls her, proves to be resilient and resourceful--and attempts a nail-biting escape.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,677,347 books! | Top bar: Always visible