Let's Talk About Race

by Julius Lester

Other authors: Karen Barbour (Illustrator)

The author introduces the concept of race as only one component in an individual's or nation's "story."

A great elementary age introduction to race, racism, and current relevant topics. The artwork is gorgeous and brimming with color and blend with the text in order to extend them. The readers are shown a perspective that allows them to understand a common identity everyone shares. Lester discusses race in a succinct and easy to digest manner. ( )
  EMiMIB | Jun 26, 2019 |
This book tells a story about how everybody is the same and that you shouldn't be judged by the color of your skin but you should see what makes up your story and that if everybody were to take of their skin they would look the same.
Ages 4-8
Pierce College Library
  Miah124 | Jun 9, 2019 |
Let’s Talk About Race is a thoughtfully written book about looking beneath the surface. The author takes the topic of race and presents it in a delicate and thought-provoking manner for children. Although it is aimed for children, I think it would be helpful to incorporate it into a discussion with adolescents. As children get older, they begin to shed their naïve and innocent viewpoints and begin to form strong opinions that are their own.
This is a fantastic book about finding things in common, despite our differences. If one looks past appearances, understanding and friendship can bloom. The message that race and skin color doesn’t define who we are is a powerful one. The author lightly weaving his own story within the book was an endearing touch as well.
Although I do appreciate the moral of the story, I believe it focuses so much on how we’re all the same and not enough on embracing the differences that make us who we are. Ultimately, this is a fantastic book about not letting race define who we are and creating our own story. ( )
  MegWilliams | Mar 27, 2019 |
Teaches about different races and how everyone is different.
Age: 4 - 8
Source: Pierce County Library ( )
  JaymeeLeigh3 | Nov 26, 2018 |
Brings the sensitive issue of race in an approachable way for elementary students to understand it. ( )
  maespino | Nov 1, 2018 |

Julius Lesterprimary authorall editionscalculated
Barbour, KarenIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,650,923 books! | Top bar: Always visible