The Middle Sister: A Novel by Bonnie Glover

The Middle Sister: A Novel

by Bonnie Glover

191537,190 (4)1

I ordered this book from the library a loooong time ago. When I checked on it last month, the librarian said, "We show 5 copies, all lost." I figured it was going to be really good based on that.

And it was. I started reading it around 8 pm, and closed the book somewhere during the middle of the night. It's a very satisfying read, with well-developed characters and an interesting plot. I even began to like the imaginary friend plot device by the end of the book. The story is emotionally involving, and covers a lot of territory. Recommended.

satyridae | Apr 5, 2013 |

“As Kwai Chang moved through the arid desert of the American West, I would move through the equally desolate ghettos of Brooklyn, and we would each search: he for his family and I for my father. . . .”

The middle of three sisters, Pamela is a quiet, thoughtful girl with a huge hole in her life–the space her father used to fill before her mother kicked him out. Occasionally, Pamela conjures up Kwai Chang, David Carradine’s character, from the Western action series Kung Fu, to give her spiritual guidance and advice she would normally turn to her parents for. But with her father gone, her mother has fallen into a pit of confusion and mental disarray. So it is up to Pamela and her sisters, Nona and Theresa, to run the household.

When their money runs out, the family must leave their beloved East New York house and move to the projects. It is a change that will alter their lives forever–and even wise Kwai Chang cannot alter their destiny. But as Pamela discovers, “Everyone searches. The real challenge is in the finding and the keeping.”

In this powerful literary debut, vividly set in the 1970s, Bonnie Glover has written a marvelous story about a young black woman struggling to define her identity–and make her family whole.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:58:59 -0400)

Growing up in the black ghetto of East New York during the 1970s, Pamela is forced to cope with a missing father, an increasingly unstable mother, her two sisters, her budding sexuality, and the violence of the world around her.

4 wanted3 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,365,452 books! | Top bar: Always visible