Angel Burn by L. A. Weatherly

Angel Burn (edition 2011)

by L. A. Weatherly

449None23,111 (3.77)11
Member:BookishBrunette
Title:Angel Burn
Authors:L. A. Weatherly
Info:Candlewick (2011), Hardcover, 464 pages

Angel Burn by L. A. Weatherly

Angelfall by Susan Ee (bluepolicebox)
    Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton (wosret)
    wosret: I loved this alternate take on angel mythology! Great heroine and enjoyable romance.

English (74)  Spanish (1)  All languages (75)
I may end up giving this book a 5 star rating. It will depend on how the rest of the series goes. The writing is actually very good. I was surprised at how well written this book is. The character development is solid and the plot is interesting and fast paced. Toward the end there were a few plot hiccups and I fear the romance part of the story may get too syrupy for my taste. I love a good romance but when it starts to be this repetitive litany of blabbing about just how much they love each other.... it gets annoying. We shall see. Anyone who liked this book may want to check out Angelfall by Susan Ee as well. ( )
  Kanic | Apr 9, 2014 |
I'm always fascinated by mythology where angels are the bad guys. The girl on the front cover of my paperback looks kinda creepy. However, she turned out to be a pretty cool main character. Didn't care what people thought if her, girl mechanic, and psychic. Pretty cool. Caught up in something she didn't fully understand. Alex had an interesting backstory and was pretty cool himself in his role.

Thigh admittedly I found the plot to be rather dragging. I liked it, but I did find it to be long winded and the romance took forever to happen. Both Alex and Willow were constantly sorting out their feelings towards each other and became like for fucks sake just KISS ALREADY!!!

A lot of it I was waiting for something to happen and when it did it was in a rush. Either way, I'm interested to see where the story is going. ( )
  sunsetxcocktail | Jan 20, 2014 |
I was hooked pretty much from the moment I read the first chapter. None of the characters felt stilted or two-dimensional in any way.

The romance aspect (which, no matter what YA paranormal novel you read) felt a little rushed. However, I won't quibble about it because it didn't feel forced or thrown in for good measure. It went with the flow of the story and I was rooting for the two main characters, Willow and Alex, to succeed.

The author's take on angels and where they come from is very nontraditional and this appealed to me. I love writers that think outside the box. I finished this book in two days and felt the time spent reading was worth it. This is book 1 of 3 and I can't wait to read the rest.

Would I recommend this book? YES! It is worth the read. Would I read a sequel? *squee* Yes, yes, yes!!! Just ordered the second one from the library so that I can devour it like the first. At least, that's my hope. ( )
  kishazworld | Oct 10, 2013 |
Actual rating: 3.5 stars.

This book gives a whole new meaning to the phrase ÛÏtouched by an angel‰Û.

Because as we learn in the book‰Ûªs opening pages, angels? Will bad touch you to death. Angels aren‰Ûªt guardians of humanity or messengers of God; they are inter-dimensional beings who feed on our life force, causing serious physical and mental illnesses in the people they‰Ûªve fed from. (Sort of like Glory in Buffy, Season Five.) It‰Ûªs called ‰ÛÏangel burn‰Û, and though the people burned by angels get sick and eventually die, they believe they‰Ûªve had a beautiful, transcendent religious experience, which has caused them to band together and create the Church of Angels, a creepy new religious movement that is basically taking over the world. The Church is great for the angels, because it‰Ûªs like getting a free pass to the best buffet ever, and it‰Ûªs gotten so good that they‰Ûªve decided to leave their crappy dying world/dimension and invade ours.

Alex is an AK, or Angel Killer, contracted by the CIA to hunt down angels and destroy them by shooting their halos to bits. He‰Ûªs kind of a mix of Dean from Supernatural and Fenton/Adam from Frailty, right down to his driven nature, terrible childhood trained to kill things, and family issues. Willow is the other narrator of our story, a typical high schooler, except that she‰Ûªs psychic and can awesomely fix your car when it breaks down. They meet when Alex is sent to kill Willow by an anonymous CIA text, but as it turns out, she‰Ûªs only half-angel and he‰Ûªs too busy trying to puzzle out how that‰Ûªs possible to pull the trigger. This is lucky for both of them, because Willow may be the only one who can stop the coming Angel Invasion, and when the angels find out, both Alex and Willow have to go on the run.

If you predict that Alex and Willow dislike and distrust each other in the beginning and then eventually fall in love, you‰Ûªd be right. Doesn‰Ûªt the assassin always fall in love with his target in these books? Still, it‰Ûªs handled pretty well; they start with basic lust because they‰Ûªre both attractive teenagers trapped in a car and various seedy motels together, and through danger and saving each other‰Ûªs lives every two seconds, grow into love. I believed it. Then they go too far and become annoyingly schmoopy, with declarations of endless devotion and whatnot, for far too long; it‰Ûªs like the author decided, ‰ÛÏnow I must reinforce their feelings by forcing them to hole up in a cabin together where they have nothing to do but gaze into each other‰Ûªs eyes and talk about how in love they are‰Û. Meanwhile, the angels are all plotting their takeover, taking over the CIA and AKs and ensuring that their mind-controlled supporters are everywhere, and basically being a lot more proactive.

Happily, this "stuck in the cabin" section eventually ends and the more thrilling plot, whereby they attempt to stop the Angel Invasion, recommences. And it didn‰Ûªt go quite where I expected (dammit, I should have seen this was a trilogy!).

Despite the book being all about the new religious movement that sprang up around the angels and how dangerous the power of belief can be (at least, when that belief is fueled by mind control), Weatherly doesn‰Ûªt have to deal with the problems a lot of other ‰ÛÏangel‰Û books do: namely, God. It‰Ûªs clear these angels are just another species, one escaping a dying world and trying to survive by any means necessary, and have nothing really to do with our human religions. This makes sense to me and is kinda cool. Angels have fooled humanity into trusting them by appearing as gleaming figures adorned with halos, wings, and flowing robes, and they exploit the religious fervor they leave in their wake, but they don‰Ûªt believe in it. They‰Ûªre like evil, self-serving magical con artists.

But here‰Ûªs what I don‰Ûªt quite get. All of this doesn‰Ûªt explain why they think of themselves as angels, which they clearly do ‰ÛÒ they use the word ‰ÛÏangelic‰Û and ‰ÛÏseraphic‰Û and so on to describe their home world and its governing council, but for them, there are no religious connotations. I find it hard to divorce the words from the ideas behind them, so I can‰Ûªt understand why beings from another world/dimension would refer to themselves using ideas and language from our world, the same way we would. They even refer to the damage they do to humans as ‰ÛÏangel burn‰Û, which seems odd to me ‰ÛÒ that seems like a term the hunters would have cooked up, and the angels themselves would have a different way of describing it. The point is, they aren‰Ûªt really angels.

The only way I can really reconcile it is if the angels have been coming to our world for so long that they actually gave rise to their own mythology as religious figures. That‰Ûªs kind of a cool notion, if the angels in the Bible and so on were actually aliens, controlling humanity even way back when, but it‰Ûªs not one really supported by the book.

Anyway, none of this detracted from my enjoyment of the story. I puzzled about it, sure, but I let it go. In truth, this is a classic story of invasion and colonization, with a twist that feels new even when it isn‰Ûªt (I mean, aliens coming to this world because their world can no longer sustain them and tricking humanity into rolling over with a fight isn‰Ûªt exactly a new story). It‰Ûªs also a fairly decent paranormal romance between characters who are equals and who are both likable ‰ÛÒ they react like real people with believable motivations.

I'll be reading the next one just to see where the author takes the Angel Invasion plot. ( )
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
deleting reviews if you want to take a look at them you can do so on my blog, link on my profile ( )
  karlaihdez | Sep 20, 2013 |
Published in the UK as Angel and in the USA as Angel Burn.

Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from... But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.

In a world where angels are fierce stalkers whose irresistible force allows them to feed off humans and drain them of their vitality, a ruthless teenaged assassin of angels falls in love with a half-angel half-human girl, with devastating consequences.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,502,115 books! | Top bar: Always visible