Angel Burn by L. A. Weatherly

Angel Burn (edition 2011)

by L. A. Weatherly

Member:BookishBrunette
Title:Angel Burn
Authors:L. A. Weatherly
Info:

Angel Burn by L. A. Weatherly

Recently added byhufflepuff-true, Thomas.Taylor, kerers, ShouldIReadIt, private library, ku., AaminahNisa
    Angelfall by Susan Ee (bluepolicebox)
    Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton (wosret)
    wosret: I loved this alternate take on angel mythology! Great heroine and enjoyable romance.

English (79)  Spanish (1)  All languages (80)
Main Characters:

Alex – An “AK” or Angel Killer. He’s been an angel killer since he was little. His parents were killed – his mother by an angel – and his brother too. He is on a mission to destroy all the angels before they can do any more harm. He meets Willow on an assignment but realizes that she’s not an angel and he ends up determined to protect her. After traveling with her for a little, he realizes he has fallen in love with her. Oh and Alex?

Willow – Always the different one, Williow is a teenage girl who is into fixing cars and dressing differently in vintage/thrift store clothes. She lives with her mother, who is mentally ill, and her Aunt Jo. She doesn’t really know what is wrong with her mother (at least at the beginning of the book). But she loves her mother. She’s also always been psychic. She meets Alex and falls in love with him.

Cully – Alex’s mentor and teacher in the AK’s. Turns out he is subject to Angel Burn and turns in Willow and Alex when they come to see Cully in New Mexico. My reaction when he did so:

Nina – She’s Willow’s friend – although she’s skeptical of Willow’s abilities. We do learn in the end that she hasn’t given up on Willow and she doesn’t believe the cover story the Church of the Angles put out.

Lailah – Raziel's "sidekick".

Review: Here, we have a world where angels are real, but they aren’t good for us. They cause disease, mental illness, and death. The angels feed off of people by draining their energy while at the same time the angel deceives the human into believing that it’s a wonderful experience. People who have been touched by an angel think it’s a miracle and they are blessed. But, we learn early on from Alex that any time an angel comes into humans life and feeds on them from there to humans life will never be the same.

There were a number of really wonderful things about this book. Finally! A book that doesn't have so much contreversy between the characters. But the "love at first sight" thing in Alex's P.O.V kinda kill it. I don't believe in love at first sight tat much. But there are times when I think it's the most romantic thing in the effing world.

Secondly, we get multiple narrators, but only one of them is in the first person. Waaaaaaaay easier to keep track of what was going on. The story was engaging. There was action throughout – car chases, gun fights, angles chasing them across the desert and more.

I think this is definitely a four 1/2-star book. I am excited for the next installment. Twilight fans, fans of the Lauren Kate Fallen series and others of that ilk will definitely enjoy this wonderful story (and think tat it's better >:P).

ku. | Sep 20, 2014 |
3.5 stars Pretty good, but I've read better angel books. ( )
  Summer_Missfictional | May 23, 2014 |
It had so much potential, but quirks of the authorial voice (severe overuse of the word "gazing" among them) and some odd actions (or lack thereof - why didn't they just cut Willow's hair and dye it? If Alex spent so much time in hotel rooms, why didn't he read books instead of watching daytime TV?) hampered my enjoyment. The romance was sweet and very innocent - not a single mention of a hard-on despite all the full-body snuggling :)

I looked at the reviews for books 2 and 3, saw mention of a love triangle, and decided to check out book 3 from the library and read the ending, because while I want Alex and Willow to live happily ever after (and find out how they stopped the angel menace), I am not up to investing 20+ hours in listening to the audio books. ( )
  WeaselOfDoom | May 10, 2014 |
Published in the UK as Angel and in the USA as Angel Burn.

Willow knows she's different from other girls. And not just because she loves tinkering around with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into people's futures, know their dreams, their hopes and their regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where she gets this power from... But Alex does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows Willow's secret and is on a mission to stop her. The dark forces within Willow make her dangerous and irresistible. In spite of himself, Alex finds he is falling in love with his sworn enemy.

In a world where angels are fierce stalkers whose irresistible force allows them to feed off humans and drain them of their vitality, a ruthless teenaged assassin of angels falls in love with a half-angel half-human girl, with devastating consequences.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,354,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible