Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache…

Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Louise Penny

1,0781167,745 (4.3)1 / 310
Member:shequiltz
Title:Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novels)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny (2010)

English (116)  French (2)  All languages (118)
Be sure to read the previous book, "The Brutal Telling", first! This 6th Inspector Gamache tells three separate stories intertwined, one of which is the continuation/conclusion of The Brutal Telling. Each of these 3 stories has the common theme of questioning how tightly should we hold on to the past -- too little and we don't learn from our mistakes, too much and we can't change and grow... ( )
1 vote leslie.98 | Jul 4, 2014 |
This book continues the chronicles and cases of Armand Gamache and his team. The opening is very different from most of the Gamache books and I had a bit more difficulty "getting into it" compared with earlier books. That was becasue of my expectation of how Gamache books open, and no discredit to the writing. It is a wonderful book. It must be read following "The Brutal Telling" in order for some of it to make sense. It's not really dependent on the previous book, but much of the subplot is aided by knowledge of that previous case.

Gamache and his second in command, Beauvoir are both on medical leave because of serious injuries received during a major case. During their recoveries various things lead them both to investigating different cases while off duty, and the cause of their injuries is also revealed. Gamache, while visiting his mentor in Quebec City is asked to assist with the murder of a Champlain grave hunter, whose body is found int he basement of the English Literary and Historical Society. Any arrest could result in social upheaval.

At the same time Gamache begins to question whether or not he had made mistakes in a previous case in the little village of Three Pines. He calls Bauvoir and asks him to investigate the case from a different perspective. Beauvoir agrees and in the process is given the opportunity to confront some of his own demons.

As with most mysteries--too much information can spoil the ending--so I shall leave it there. It is a book worth reading, in the right order. ( )
  M.J.Perry | Jun 27, 2014 |
unknown
  Bruno_Estigarribia | Mar 31, 2014 |
Now this is my favorite, I do obviously enjoy the characters and the setting. The inspector rocks. ( )
  joeyr | Mar 15, 2014 |
This is my first Chief Inspector Gamache book. I heard the author being interviewed on WMAC about her most recent book, How the Light Gets In, and it sounded like something I would enjoy – well written crime novel with interesting characters. (Plus the new book's title comes from a Leonard Cohen song, so I was interested for that irrelevant reason also.) (I read another book recently whose title is also from a Cohen song, Then We Take Berlin.) http://wamc.org/post/book-show-1316-louise-penny

The setting for the book is Quebec, and we get a good feel for current day and historical Quebec City.
I had picked this book for my initial try at Penny, because the major plot line in the book involves Samuel Champlain, whose burial plot is unknown. So, it seemed like there would be some Quebec history presented, which I was unfamiliar with to any significant degree. There are three primary plot-lines in the book – the murder of an amateur archeologist in Quebec City who was obsessed with finding Champlains burial spot; the murder of a reclusive man near a small village who ir referred to as The Hermit, whose murder case is reopened by Gamache because of doubts that he got the correct man convicted (I think the original investigation was the subject of the previous book in the series) – this case is investigated by Gamache's assistant Beauvoir; and a terrorist plot that occurred recently and which still haunts both Beauvoir and Gamache because although they were both seriously wounded, they survived it, while some of their fellow officers did not.

It took me a little while to decide whether I liked the book, but I settled into it nicely and found it mostly enjoyable. There was one aspect of the story relating to the terrorist crime that I found unbelievable, but it did not create a major issue for me such that I'd say I did not enjoy the book. Since this occurs relatively early in the book, I can discuss it here without a spoiler alert, but if you do not want to risk it, you should stop reading now.

The terror plot starts when a man who says he is farmer shoots and kills a policeman during a road stop, and then takes another cop hostage. The initial police theory is that he is a marijuana farmer and had his harvest in his truck, and he panicked when the police arrived. Gamache starts to doubt this, and comes to believe that the initial confrontation with the police was well-planned and intended to distract them from another part of the plan to keep them from stopping it. My problem is that if the murder-hostage-taking had not occurred, the police would have had no idea about the terrorists' plan, and it could have gone off without any attention from the police at all.

There is one other thing about the book that I could not understand. Gamache is in Quebec City while on leave from his job, and his investigation into the murder is unofficial. Although he was originally asked to assist by the local police, and they are collaborating at first, after this we almost never hear about the official investigation, and there appears to be no communication between Gamache and the local police. Just seems odd to me. ( )
  BillPilgrim | Mar 7, 2014 |
[T]his is brilliantly provocative and will appeal to fans of literary fiction, as well as to mystery lovers.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, ClaireTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book is dedicated to second chances—
Those who give them
And those who take them
Up the stairs they raced, taking them two at a time, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Starred Review. At the start of Agatha-winner Penny's moving and powerful sixth Chief Insp. Armand Gamache mystery (after 2009's The Brutal Telling), Gamache is recovering from a physical and emotional trauma, the exact nature of which isn't immediately disclosed, in Québec City. When the body of Augustin Renaud, an eccentric who'd spent his life searching for the burial site of Samuel de Champlain, Québec's founder, turns up in the basement of the Literary and Historical Society, Gamache reluctantly gets involved in the murder inquiry. Meanwhile, Gamache dispatches his longtime colleague, Insp. Jean Guy Beauvoir, to the quiet town of Three Pines to revisit the case supposedly resolved at the end of the previous book. Few writers in any genre can match Penny's ability to combine heartbreak and hope in the same scene. Increasingly ambitious in her plotting, she continues to create characters readers would want to meet in real life. 100,000 first printing.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

MINOTAUR EDITION:
It is Winter Carnival in Quebec City, bitterly cold and surpassingly beautiful. Chief inspector Armand Gamache has not come to join the revels but to recover from an investigation gone hauntingly wrong. But violent death is inescapable, even in the apparent sanctuary of the Literary and Historical Society - where an obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Québec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried buried with Champlain for nearly four hundred years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it.

Although he is supposed to be on leave, Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smouldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder. "It doesn't make sense," Olivier's partner writes every day. "He didn't do it, you know."

As past and present collide in this astonishing novel, Gamache must relive a terrible event from his own past before he can begin to bury his dead.

An obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried with Champlain for nearly 400 years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it? Although he is supposed to be on leave, Chief Inspector Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smoldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved Bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,352 books! | Top bar: Always visible