Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache…

Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Louise Penny

1,3681335,605 (4.26)1 / 358
Member:shequiltz
Title:Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novels)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny (2010)

English (133)  French (2)  All languages (135)
Inspector Armand Gramache's last investigation ended very badly for himself and members of his team, including Jean Guy Beauvoir. Each day Armand receives a letter from Three Pines asking why Olivier would have moved the body of the man he has been convicted of killing. He asks Jean Guy to unofficially return to Three Pines and reinvestigate the case from the assumption of Olivier's innocence. Armand is finding solace in the library of the Literary and Historical Society in Old Québec City until murder intervenes. Augustin Renaud, dedicated to finding the lost remains of Samuel de Champlain, founder of Québec, has been dead in the library's basement. While her books are, at their core, mysteries, and very good ones, there are layers beyond that and a wisdom brought forth through her characters that I admire. Gamache's code for the four sentences which lead to wisdom: "I'm sorry. I was wrong. I need help. I don't know." are worth embracing in today's society. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
I think this has been my favourite Chief Inspector Gamache book so far. The setting change to Quebec City was wonderful, and the mystery intriguing. I enjoyed the historic aspects about Quebec and its language also. This book also answered one of the missing pieces from the last book. In the last book, I was left wondering whether I had missed something at the end - I didn't, and this book explains that to me.
I know so much more about the characters of Armand Gamache and Jean-Guy Beauvoir now. I can hardly wait to read the next book! ( )
  MelAnnC | Feb 28, 2016 |
I love this series. It just keeps getting better, book after book. ( )
  Gingermama | Jan 24, 2016 |
Louise Penny's books are so poignant, with such deep-feeling and suffering characters, that it's sometimes hard to remember the books are crime novels. I'm amazed at her ability to intertwine several stories and themes at once while juggling so many characters, each of whom feels real.

I'm close to making this 5 stars, and if I'd read all the books in the right order, I probably would have. A solid 4.5. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
as usual not just a mystery but some dram as well. love it. ( )
  kdf_333 | Jan 16, 2016 |
[T]his is brilliantly provocative and will appeal to fans of literary fiction, as well as to mystery lovers.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, ClaireTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book is dedicated to second chances—
Those who give them
And those who take them
Up the stairs they raced, taking them two at a time, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Starred Review. At the start of Agatha-winner Penny's moving and powerful sixth Chief Insp. Armand Gamache mystery (after 2009's The Brutal Telling), Gamache is recovering from a physical and emotional trauma, the exact nature of which isn't immediately disclosed, in Québec City. When the body of Augustin Renaud, an eccentric who'd spent his life searching for the burial site of Samuel de Champlain, Québec's founder, turns up in the basement of the Literary and Historical Society, Gamache reluctantly gets involved in the murder inquiry. Meanwhile, Gamache dispatches his longtime colleague, Insp. Jean Guy Beauvoir, to the quiet town of Three Pines to revisit the case supposedly resolved at the end of the previous book. Few writers in any genre can match Penny's ability to combine heartbreak and hope in the same scene. Increasingly ambitious in her plotting, she continues to create characters readers would want to meet in real life. 100,000 first printing.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

MINOTAUR EDITION:
It is Winter Carnival in Quebec City, bitterly cold and surpassingly beautiful. Chief inspector Armand Gamache has not come to join the revels but to recover from an investigation gone hauntingly wrong. But violent death is inescapable, even in the apparent sanctuary of the Literary and Historical Society - where an obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Québec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried buried with Champlain for nearly four hundred years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it.

Although he is supposed to be on leave, Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smouldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder. "It doesn't make sense," Olivier's partner writes every day. "He didn't do it, you know."

As past and present collide in this astonishing novel, Gamache must relive a terrible event from his own past before he can begin to bury his dead.

An obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Quebec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried with Champlain for nearly 400 years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it? Although he is supposed to be on leave, Chief Inspector Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smoldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved Bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,989,952 books! | Top bar: Always visible