Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache…

Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache… (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Louise Penny

1,4601365,128 (4.26)1 / 364
Member:shequiltz
Title:Bury Your Dead: A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel (Chief Inspector Gamache Novels)
Authors:Louise Penny
Info:Minotaur Books (2010), Hardcover, 384 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny (2010)

English (136)  French (2)  English (138)
Glad for the change of location although the mystery itself is very slight. ( )
  laurenbufferd | Nov 14, 2016 |
At first I was confused, I got characters mixed up and had to go back a few times to straighten them out in my head; it was well worth the effort however. Louise Penny managed stories within stories, some critical, others secondary but no less important for the characters involved. The humanity each character has makes me want to go back in and find out more about each of the people who made this book such a rich reading experience. They are all flawed, have feelings, histories and messy lives where they are sometimes forced to make difficult choices. I have not read much about Canada, in particular I knew next to nothing about Quebec other than what my school textbooks taught us about trading. I come away after reading this piece with a glimpse of a world unexplored and a need to know more. Chief Inspector Gamache is a man to follow, so I will be looking for him among the stacks. ( )
  Michelle_Wendt | Jun 15, 2016 |
Face it. Genre authors don't get any respect. When a book is categorized as a mystery or sci-fi/fantasy, the assumption is that it's all about the plot; character development and writing technique are non-existent. Louise Penny is a mystery author who shatters that stereotype. The winner of many awards, her books are a complex study of humanity at its worst and at its best.

Bury Your Dead is three different plots carefully intertwined together. Chief Inspector Gamache is in Quebec solving a murder is an English historical society, while his detective Jean Guy is back at Three Pines looking over an old case. Both Gamache and Jean Guy are not acting in an official capacity though -- they are on medical leave because of some disaster that happened recently in the Surete. Penny cleverly intertwines these three stories, bouncing back and forth in location and time, using several different narrators to carefully build up the tension to the final reveal. I loved this book! Rarely do I give a mystery 5 stars, but this one was brilliant. ( )
2 vote jmoncton | Jun 5, 2016 |
Excellent three murders story in vieux Quebec, the Eastern counties, and terrorists. ( )
  ShelleyAlberta | Jun 4, 2016 |
Inspector Armand Gramache's last investigation ended very badly for himself and members of his team, including Jean Guy Beauvoir. Each day Armand receives a letter from Three Pines asking why Olivier would have moved the body of the man he has been convicted of killing. He asks Jean Guy to unofficially return to Three Pines and reinvestigate the case from the assumption of Olivier's innocence. Armand is finding solace in the library of the Literary and Historical Society in Old Québec City until murder intervenes. Augustin Renaud, dedicated to finding the lost remains of Samuel de Champlain, founder of Québec, has been dead in the library's basement. While her books are, at their core, mysteries, and very good ones, there are layers beyond that and a wisdom brought forth through her characters that I admire. Gamache's code for the four sentences which lead to wisdom: "I'm sorry. I was wrong. I need help. I don't know." are worth embracing in today's society. ( )
  Carol420 | May 31, 2016 |
[T]his is brilliantly provocative and will appeal to fans of literary fiction, as well as to mystery lovers.
added by bell7 | editLibrary Journal

Louise Pennyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chabalier, ClaireTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Chabalier, LouiseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book is dedicated to second chances—
Those who give them
And those who take them
Up the stairs they raced, taking them two at a time, trying to be as quiet as possible.

Starred Review. At the start of Agatha-winner Penny's moving and powerful sixth Chief Insp. Armand Gamache mystery (after 2009's The Brutal Telling), Gamache is recovering from a physical and emotional trauma, the exact nature of which isn't immediately disclosed, in Québec City. When the body of Augustin Renaud, an eccentric who'd spent his life searching for the burial site of Samuel de Champlain, Québec's founder, turns up in the basement of the Literary and Historical Society, Gamache reluctantly gets involved in the murder inquiry. Meanwhile, Gamache dispatches his longtime colleague, Insp. Jean Guy Beauvoir, to the quiet town of Three Pines to revisit the case supposedly resolved at the end of the previous book. Few writers in any genre can match Penny's ability to combine heartbreak and hope in the same scene. Increasingly ambitious in her plotting, she continues to create characters readers would want to meet in real life. 100,000 first printing.
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

MINOTAUR EDITION:
It is Winter Carnival in Quebec City, bitterly cold and surpassingly beautiful. Chief inspector Armand Gamache has not come to join the revels but to recover from an investigation gone hauntingly wrong. But violent death is inescapable, even in the apparent sanctuary of the Literary and Historical Society - where an obsessive historian's quest for the remains of the founder of Québec, Samuel de Champlain, ends in murder. Could a secret buried buried with Champlain for nearly four hundred years be so dreadful that someone would kill to protect it.

Although he is supposed to be on leave, Gamache cannot walk away from a crime that threatens to ignite long-smouldering tensions between the English and the French. Meanwhile, he is receiving disquieting letters from the village of Three Pines, where beloved bistro owner Olivier was recently convicted of murder. "It doesn't make sense," Olivier's partner writes every day. "He didn't do it, you know."

As past and present collide in this astonishing novel, Gamache must relive a terrible event from his own past before he can begin to bury his dead.

Taking leave during Quebec's Winter Carnival after a case gone wrong, a disgruntled Chief Inspector Armand Gamache is unable to avoid assisting a politically-charged investigation involving a historian's murder during a search for a famous figure's burial site.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Bury Your Dead by Louise Penny was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,720,607 books! | Top bar: Always visible