Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen

Royal Blood

by Rhys Bowen

Series: Her Royal Spyness (4)

Recently added bySweetJanuary, private library, cfulton20, sibyx, TaraWood, eloquinn, jhofer2, Gillian-D

English (34)  Piratical (1)  All languages (35)
Another enjoyable mystery. Perfect for this particular Downton Abbey-crazed period of time! ( )
  VanChocStrawberry | Apr 2, 2018 |
A decent attempt to get Georgie on with her life, moving her closer to Darcy and adding the character of her maid Queenie, plus of course the drama of a remote castle in Romania - and very dramatic it is indeed. ( )
  SuziSteffen | Feb 20, 2018 |
I loved that this one had a change in location! I did not like that Fish-Face was still in the picture. Nevertheless, I always find it amusing when various characters show up even though there is really no reason for them to be part of this particular plot line other than the fact that they have already been established as main characters in previous books. The ending was simultaneously interesting and boring - sometimes I feel that the plot twists aren't quite twisty enough, or just aren't executed properly. Still, as ever, I do enjoy these little novels. ( )
  erinla | Oct 31, 2017 |
such a fun series! ( )
  shaunesay | Jun 21, 2017 |
This fourth book in the Royal Spyness series is just as much of a delight as the first three. I can rely on Rhys Bowen to present me with a perfectly rendered setting and make me laugh while I'm learning about the lives of royals in the 1930s. In many ways this is my favorite historical mystery series simply because both author and reader have so darned much fun at their appointed tasks.

In Royal Blood, we have Georgiana in a Dracula-inspired set of a castle in remote Transylvania that's filled with secret stairs, secret cubbyholes, secret rooms-- some which are known and others which seem to have been completely forgotten. Beastly weather. Some absolutely beastly guests. Add to this mix a reluctant Georgie, her new (and untrained) maid Queenie, Mum the Bolter, Belinda the gate crasher, and otherworldly people who seem to be able to climb up and down the sheer walls of the castle, and you have the recipe for a lot of fun.

I've already told you that the setting, humor, and characters all sparkle, but what about the mystery itself? Bowen really had me scratching my head until the identity of the intended victim is made clear, and then the light bulb went off above my head. Did the knowledge of whodunit spoil anything for me? Absolutely not!

Once I'd read the first book in the series (Her Royal Spyness) I was hooked, and I busily gathered up all the rest. It would be very easy for me to gorge on one book after another, but I don't let myself. Of course that rule could be subject to change! If you enjoy light-hearted historical mysteries as much as I do, indulge yourself with the antics of Lady Georgie-- and please start at the very beginning so changing relationships and growing characters will make sense right from the get go. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 25, 2016 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cantor, JackieEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estreicher, TiffanyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattos, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my sister-in-law Mary Vyvan, who always makes us so welcome in her lovely Cornish manor house where Lady Georgiana would feel completely at home.
Rannoch House
Belgrave Square, London W.1
Tuesday, November 8, 1932

Fog for days. Trapped alone in London house. Shall go mad soon.
November in London is utterly bloody.

Thirty-fourth in line to the throne--and England's poorest heiress--Lady Georgiana Rannoch fines herself in a truly draining state of affairs...

With my hateful brother, Binky, in town, I've been desperately seeking an escape. To my delight, it comes in the form of an invitation from the queen to represent the royals at a wedding in Transylvania--legendary home to the vampires. My freedom comes with some snags, though: the eminently boring Lady "Horse-face" Middlesex will be my chaperone, I'm to take my imaginary maid--the only one I can afford--and my erstwhile beau, Darcy O'Mara will be present, undoubtedly dashing in his groomsman's suit...

I soon realize why I was the one honored with such an invitation. The bride, Princess Maria Theresa, happens to be my old school chum Matty. But I find my stay in her macabre-looking castle to be unnerving. There are spooky bumps in the night, and I even find dear Matty with blood running down her chin. Quality time with Binky is starting to seem appealing. Then, during the preparations, a prominent--if vulgar and womanizing--wedding guest is poisoned. Something must be done lest the nuptial festivities go to ruin, or, worse yet, the couple's vows become to love and to cherish, till undeath do us part... [from the jacket]

To escape her hateful brother, Georgie Rannoch, penniless and thirty-fourth in line to the throne, accepts an invitation from the queen to represent the royals at a Transylvanian wedding in a macabre castle, only to find the bride with a bloody chin, a guest poisoned, and murderous mystery in the air.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,920,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible