Royal Blood

Royal Blood (edition 2011)

Title:Royal Blood
Info:Berkley Pub Group 2011-09-06 (2011), Paperback
Collections:HH Library, 20th Century

Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen

English (25)  Piratical (1)  All languages (26)
Now this one was funny and the mystery was good too. I liked that Lady Georgiana gets to embark on an all European mission and the eerie setting of an old Romanian castle with local myths was a refreshing backdrop. And undoubtedly I've found the most fascinating character in the series so far, Queenie, the disastrous maid!
“Queenie,” I said. “It’s not ‘miss,’ it’s ‘my lady.’ ”
“Bob’s yer uncle, miss,” she said. :D ( )
  PsYcHe_Sufi | Jul 12, 2015 |
I enjoy this mystery series starring the Lady Georgiana, 34th in line to the British throne and without a penny to her name. Queen Mary is fond of her and sometimes calls her to the palace for tea and a private chat, and then the queen gives Georgiana a royal undercover assignment. I suggest you start with the first book “Her Royal Spyness”. “Royal Blood” has a bold new location, a rather frightening remote castle in Transylvania. A royal wedding is going to take place there and Georgiana is to represent the royal family. A dignitary is poisoned, Georgiana and her maid Queenie are trapped in a dungeon, and the dashing Darcy O’Mara shows up for derring-do and romance. Is there a vampire lurking in the castle? Who or what is seen climbing up the steep castle walls and lurking over Lady Georgiana’s bed, and is that blood on the face of the bride to be? ( )
  hangen | May 10, 2015 |
Lady Georgiana is related to royalty but poor which translates into having to live by certain rules and expectations but not having the means to do so. In this mystery the Queen of England asks Georgie to attend a royal wedding in Transylvania as a representative of the crown (they don't want to risk sending someone more important).

There is, of course, a murder and Georgie is on the spot to witness it and to help to figure out who done it with the help of Darcy, the wild Irishman who she is interested in. Being Transylvania and a house party there are night time ramblings, thoughts of vampires and werewolves and enough snow for the party to be cut off from the world for a while. An enjoyable romp.
  Familyhistorian | Sep 21, 2014 |
This time Georgie gets sent to Transylvania! Everyone gets snowed at a castle in the middle of no place up in the mountains. The storm knocks out the telephones and of course, a murder happens. He was an important man, but rather disliked by almost everyone so there was a bit of a bother about what to do. No one was sad to see him go, but letting out that the man was murdered could lead to some serious political repercussions, not least of which would be the postponement of the wedding that Georgie was sent to be a brides maid in.

The place is creepy enough that even Georgie is beginning to believe in vampires and werewolves and the guest who almost no one sees seems to be leading credence to those thoughts. It becomes more and more mixed up and an oubliette is discovered, by an unfortunate Queenie, Georgie's new maid.

Lots of interesting and funny things happen and Georgie is in the middle of them all, slowly bumbling along trying to find the answers. I really enjoy this series and only have a couple left before I get all caught up. Great English Cozy mysteries. ( )
  readafew | Sep 15, 2014 |
Another wickedly funny adventure for the delightfully naive Georgie. This time around Georgie heads out to Transylvania to escape her horrid sister in law Fig, thanks to the intervention of the Queen. Got a kick out of the Vampire references and the antics of Georgie's new hapless maid Queenie. As mentioned before these books shine because of the characters, not necessarily the mystery itself. I listened to the audio version, and the narrator Katherine Kellgren is marvelous! ( )
  mountie9 | Jul 28, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to my sister-in-law Mary Vyvan, who always makes us so welcome in her lovely Cornish manor house where Lady Georgiana would feel completely at home.
Rannoch House
Belgrave Square, London W.1
Tuesday, November 8, 1932

Fog for days. Trapped alone in London house. Shall go mad soon.
November in London is utterly bloody.

Thirty-fourth in line to the throne--and England's poorest heiress--Lady Georgiana Rannoch fines herself in a truly draining state of affairs...

With my hateful brother, Binky, in town, I've been desperately seeking an escape. To my delight, it comes in the form of an invitation from the queen to represent the royals at a wedding in Transylvania--legendary home to the vampires. My freedom comes with some snags, though: the eminently boring Lady "Horse-face" Middlesex will be my chaperone, I'm to take my imaginary maid--the only one I can afford--and my erstwhile beau, Darcy O'Mara will be present, undoubtedly dashing in his groomsman's suit...

I soon realize why I was the one honored with such an invitation. The bride, Princess Maria Theresa, happens to be my old school chum Matty. But I find my stay in her macabre-looking castle to be unnerving. There are spooky bumps in the night, and I even find dear Matty with blood running down her chin. Quality time with Binky is starting to seem appealing. Then, during the preparations, a prominent--if vulgar and womanizing--wedding guest is poisoned. Something must be done lest the nuptial festivities go to ruin, or, worse yet, the couple's vows become to love and to cherish, till undeath do us part... [from the jacket]

To escape her hateful brother, Georgie Rannoch, penniless and thirty-fourth in line to the throne, accepts an invitation from the queen to represent the royals at a Transylvanian wedding in a macabre castle, only to find the bride with a bloody chin, a guest poisoned, and murderous mystery in the air.… (more)

20 wanted1 pay3 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,887,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible