Royal Blood

Royal Blood (edition 2011)

Member:ddelmoni
Title:Royal Blood
Authors:
Info:Berkley Pub Group 2011-09-06 (2011), Paperback
Collections:HH Library, 20th Century
Rating:***

Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen

English (24)  Piratical (1)  All languages (25)
Lady Georgiana is related to royalty but poor which translates into having to live by certain rules and expectations but not having the means to do so. In this mystery the Queen of England asks Georgie to attend a royal wedding in Transylvania as a representative of the crown (they don't want to risk sending someone more important).

There is, of course, a murder and Georgie is on the spot to witness it and to help to figure out who done it with the help of Darcy, the wild Irishman who she is interested in. Being Transylvania and a house party there are night time ramblings, thoughts of vampires and werewolves and enough snow for the party to be cut off from the world for a while. An enjoyable romp.
  Familyhistorian | Sep 21, 2014 |
This time Georgie gets sent to Transylvania! Everyone gets snowed at a castle in the middle of no place up in the mountains. The storm knocks out the telephones and of course, a murder happens. He was an important man, but rather disliked by almost everyone so there was a bit of a bother about what to do. No one was sad to see him go, but letting out that the man was murdered could lead to some serious political repercussions, not least of which would be the postponement of the wedding that Georgie was sent to be a brides maid in.

The place is creepy enough that even Georgie is beginning to believe in vampires and werewolves and the guest who almost no one sees seems to be leading credence to those thoughts. It becomes more and more mixed up and an oubliette is discovered, by an unfortunate Queenie, Georgie's new maid.

Lots of interesting and funny things happen and Georgie is in the middle of them all, slowly bumbling along trying to find the answers. I really enjoy this series and only have a couple left before I get all caught up. Great English Cozy mysteries. ( )
  readafew | Sep 15, 2014 |
Another wickedly funny adventure for the delightfully naive Georgie. This time around Georgie heads out to Transylvania to escape her horrid sister in law Fig, thanks to the intervention of the Queen. Got a kick out of the Vampire references and the antics of Georgie's new hapless maid Queenie. As mentioned before these books shine because of the characters, not necessarily the mystery itself. I listened to the audio version, and the narrator Katherine Kellgren is marvelous! ( )
  mountie9 | Jul 28, 2014 |
This was a fun read. Lady Georgie is a cousin to the Queen of England, which means that she is royalty, but a LONG way from sitting on the throne. Which also means that she has been trained for high society, but not much else. Unfortunately, her father has squandered the family's fortune and she is in need of a job. To help make ends meet, Lady Georgie takes on small jobs under cover for the Queen. In this cozy mystery, she represents the family at a royal wedding in ... Transylvania. But, when one of the wedding guests is murdered, Lady Georgie must try to solve the case before it becomes an international incident. Very witty, filled with tongue-in-cheek sarcasm and humor. ( )
  jmoncton | Jun 28, 2014 |
The series continues with a trip overseas - this one has some funny moments and comments. If you liked the others in the series then you will enjoy this one. ( )
  Neale | Mar 13, 2014 |
This book is dedicated to my sister-in-law Mary Vyvan, who always makes us so welcome in her lovely Cornish manor house where Lady Georgiana would feel completely at home.
November in London is utterly bloody.

Thirty-fourth in line to the throne--and England's poorest heiress--Lady Georgiana Rannoch fines herself in a truly draining state of affairs...

With my hateful brother, Binky, in town, I've been desperately seeking an escape. To my delight, it comes in the form of an invitation from the queen to represent the royals at a wedding in Transylvania--legendary home to the vampires. My freedom comes with some snags, though: the eminently boring Lady "Horse-face" Middlesex will be my chaperone, I'm to take my imaginary maid--the only one I can afford--and my erstwhile beau, Darcy O'Mara will be present, undoubtedly dashing in his groomsman's suit...

I soon realize why I was the one honored with such an invitation. The bride, Princess Maria Theresa, happens to be my old school chum Matty. But I find my stay in her macabre-looking castle to be unnerving. There are spooky bumps in the night, and I even find dear Matty with blood running down her chin. Quality time with Binky is starting to seem appealing. Then, during the preparations, a prominent--if vulgar and womanizing--wedding guest is poisoned. Something must be done lest the nuptial festivities go to ruin, or, worse yet, the couple's vows become to love and to cherish, till undeath do us part... [from the jacket]

To escape her hateful brother, Georgie Rannoch, penniless and thirty-fourth in line to the throne, accepts an invitation from the queen to represent the royals at a Transylvanian wedding in a macabre castle, only to find the bride with a bloody chin, a guest poisoned, and murderous mystery in the air.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,381,186 books! | Top bar: Always visible