Royal Blood

Royal Blood (edition 2011)

Title:Royal Blood
Info:Berkley Pub Group 2011-09-06 (2011), Paperback
Collections:HH Library, 20th Century

Royal Blood by Rhys Bowen

English (30)  Piratical (1)  All languages (31)
This fourth book in the Royal Spyness series is just as much of a delight as the first three. I can rely on Rhys Bowen to present me with a perfectly rendered setting and make me laugh while I'm learning about the lives of royals in the 1930s. In many ways this is my favorite historical mystery series simply because both author and reader have so darned much fun at their appointed tasks.

In Royal Blood, we have Georgiana in a Dracula-inspired set of a castle in remote Transylvania that's filled with secret stairs, secret cubbyholes, secret rooms-- some which are known and others which seem to have been completely forgotten. Beastly weather. Some absolutely beastly guests. Add to this mix a reluctant Georgie, her new (and untrained) maid Queenie, Mum the Bolter, Belinda the gate crasher, and otherworldly people who seem to be able to climb up and down the sheer walls of the castle, and you have the recipe for a lot of fun.

I've already told you that the setting, humor, and characters all sparkle, but what about the mystery itself? Bowen really had me scratching my head until the identity of the intended victim is made clear, and then the light bulb went off above my head. Did the knowledge of whodunit spoil anything for me? Absolutely not!

Once I'd read the first book in the series (Her Royal Spyness) I was hooked, and I busily gathered up all the rest. It would be very easy for me to gorge on one book after another, but I don't let myself. Of course that rule could be subject to change! If you enjoy light-hearted historical mysteries as much as I do, indulge yourself with the antics of Lady Georgie-- and please start at the very beginning so changing relationships and growing characters will make sense right from the get go. ( )
  cathyskye | Aug 25, 2016 |
Not really enough Darcy...but what little there is, is great. ( )
  sammymowheeler | Jan 19, 2016 |
★ ★ 1/4

This is a continuation of the Lady Georgiana, 34th in line to the throne of Queen Mary, one of Queen Victoria's Great Granddaughters.

She's flat out broke, lives in the Family home in Belgrave Square, London and oft times works as a housekeeper or a spy for the Queen....

She is to be bridesmaid for a princess (from Transylvania) she went to school with. She is staying at the bride's family castle (former home to Vlad the Impaler) when there begin to be sightings of a dark creature lurking around the castle.....and someone tries to poison the groom, instead killing the Bulgarian Field Marshall attached to the groom.

This was interesting in spots, but what really irked me is:
* Normally Lady Georgiana is calm and level headed and not given to flights of fancy....
* However, in this book she gets in a tizzy over "vampires" and goes stupidly on and on and on about them.... Come on, it's a castle and it has hidden passage ways!
* So what I think is that the author, Rhys Bowen was in want of a "gimmick", and due to the fact that last year Vampires were all the rage, decided that it would be a good thing to hop up on the bandwagon.....
* Well it just didn't work, if fact it failed miserably and ruined the entire story for me an which is why I rated this so low ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Again, an enjoyable Lady Georgiana mystery. This time she's been invited to a royal wedding in Transylvania, and the castle itself plays a part. Most of the side characters manage to make appearances, plus we have new comic relief in Queenie, her maid. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
Still silly but better than the last book in this series. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |

Rhys Bowenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Cantor, JackieEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Estreicher, TiffanyDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Frangie, RitaCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kellgren, KatherineNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mattos, JohnCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my sister-in-law Mary Vyvan, who always makes us so welcome in her lovely Cornish manor house where Lady Georgiana would feel completely at home.
Rannoch House
Belgrave Square, London W.1
Tuesday, November 8, 1932

Fog for days. Trapped alone in London house. Shall go mad soon.
November in London is utterly bloody.

Thirty-fourth in line to the throne--and England's poorest heiress--Lady Georgiana Rannoch fines herself in a truly draining state of affairs...

With my hateful brother, Binky, in town, I've been desperately seeking an escape. To my delight, it comes in the form of an invitation from the queen to represent the royals at a wedding in Transylvania--legendary home to the vampires. My freedom comes with some snags, though: the eminently boring Lady "Horse-face" Middlesex will be my chaperone, I'm to take my imaginary maid--the only one I can afford--and my erstwhile beau, Darcy O'Mara will be present, undoubtedly dashing in his groomsman's suit...

I soon realize why I was the one honored with such an invitation. The bride, Princess Maria Theresa, happens to be my old school chum Matty. But I find my stay in her macabre-looking castle to be unnerving. There are spooky bumps in the night, and I even find dear Matty with blood running down her chin. Quality time with Binky is starting to seem appealing. Then, during the preparations, a prominent--if vulgar and womanizing--wedding guest is poisoned. Something must be done lest the nuptial festivities go to ruin, or, worse yet, the couple's vows become to love and to cherish, till undeath do us part... [from the jacket]

To escape her hateful brother, Georgie Rannoch, penniless and thirty-fourth in line to the throne, accepts an invitation from the queen to represent the royals at a Transylvanian wedding in a macabre castle, only to find the bride with a bloody chin, a guest poisoned, and murderous mystery in the air.… (more)

19 wanted2 pay3 pay

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,719,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible