The Insider by Reece Hirsch

The Insider

by Reece Hirsch

This book was a thrill ride from the start. My interest never waned and I loved all the San Francisco references. It's a quick read in that the story's pace is so quick you're afraid you might miss something exciting if you put it down.

I'll definitely read more form Reece Hirsch and recommend this one to friends. ( )
  Cather00 | Apr 27, 2013 |
This book started off with a suicide only a couple pages in, and I felt hooked in by that. Unfortunately my interest began waning in the book only a few pages later. This book suddenly became a formulaic legal thriller; throw in some Russian gangsters, murder, terrorism, corrupt lawyers, and a scared as all hell protagonist. This has just been written already too many times, nothing seemed fresh.

Some of the situations in this book did not seem at all realistic to me. It never felt like Will was in enough danger from Yuri and Nikolai for him to not have gone to the police. Yuri and Nikolai seemed more like fumbling fools than tough gangsters. Also the ending in regards to what happened with the investigation of Will didn't seem realistic at all. You mean to tell me just because all those departments that are investigating him receive one piece of evidence that Will is just cleared.

I came into reading this book hoping for something new and fresh, and sadly just found the same old thing. ( )
  dpappas | Jul 8, 2012 |
Will Connelly, a corporate attorney on the cusp of becoming a partner in the law firm he works for, thinks he has his life together until he witnesses a colleague's apparent suicide. When asked to take over the lead negotiations for a merger involving an encryption software giant, Will begins to realize he's caught in the middle of a nightmare.

The debut novel of Reece Hirsch starts out with a great hook, and by the time I finished the first chapter I knew I was going to enjoy the book. There are a few times the plot thins, though the author more than makes up for it with another twisty turn that keeps the story going. And does the story go. The tension remains taut as Will is forced to decide which is more important, his morals and doing what is right within the letter of the law, or that which may keep him or loved ones from harm.

Reece manages to keep things believable, although I wanted a few characters fleshed out more, I was relieved to find I wasn't lost in lawyerese during the negotiations of the merger.

For a first novel, well done, and look forward to many more. ( )
  souleswanderer | Apr 24, 2012 |
Finally, I have found a novel to end my summer reading slump! This is a smart, well crafted thriller that will have readers hooked from the opening sequence. Reminiscent of some of the better John Grisham novels, The Insider presents a down to earth lawyer who is thrust into an extraordinary conspiracy. With murder, mobsters and a fast pace, author Reece Hirsch has managed to write a thriller that thoroughly entertains. If every author wrote a debut novel like this one, every author would be a best seller!Thanks to the author and publishers for the opportunity to read this as part of the First Reads program. ( )
  es135 | Jan 14, 2012 |
This book had me hooked from page one! The book starts with a suicide/murder with the victim coming through the windows of the corporate law offices. The main character, Will Connelly, leads the mystery as he makes law partner and unwinds a complex conspiracy. What's not to like with elements of the Russian mob, a likeable lead character, a good murder mystery and lots of action?

The book reminded me of some of the early John Grisham novels. This is a great first book from Reece Hirsch and I am hoping he will publish more books, and soon!

Reader received a free copy of this book from the Good Reads First Reads Program ( )
  dgmlrhodes | Nov 12, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425234622, Mass Market Paperback)

An explosive debut thriller

First corporate attorney Will Connelly's colleague hurtles to his death outside his office window. Within days, Will is a prime suspect in a murder, the target of an S.E.C. insider trading investigation, and a pawn in a complex criminal scheme involving the Russian mafia and a ruthless terrorist plot. Now, to top things off, he must ensure a deadly enemy doesn't gain access to the nation's most sensitive and confidential information-that has the power to do incalculable, irrevocable harm.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:46 -0400)

In the course of his duties as a corporate attorney, Will Connelly stumbles upon a government conspiracy and becomes the target of an SEC insider-trading investigation, a suspect in a murder, and a pawn in a deadly game.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,297,395 books! | Top bar: Always visible