The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop (2006)

by Lewis Buzbee

Here's another marvelous book for all of us book maniacs to read about our obsession. This one gets you into the back room of a bookstore. Buzbee knows the business inside out, having worked at selling books pretty much his entire adult life (when not reading or writing). The book alternates between Buzbee's musing on his own experiences with books, to the history and origins of books, to speculation about what might happen in the future. [The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop] was written ten years ago, before the e-book "caught on" but he is right that the medium has not been as popular as the purveyors had hoped. But he did predict the unpredictable and I would say the rise of the audiobook fulfills the surprise factor. Buzbee loves to speculate and he comes up with some great ideas: Books that get kids to read:"books of engagement"! There are many more gems of that kind. A great read! ***** ( )
1 vote sibyx | Aug 1, 2018 |
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. It made me nostalgic, thinking back to what shaped me into an avid reader and the bookstores I had visited over my lifetime. I loved learning more about the history of a book itself and other fun/interesting trivia. I don't believe books will ever die. I cannot imagine not holding a book feeling the texture of the paper and smelling like books do. I borrowed this book from a friend but would love to purchase my own copy in a brick and mortar bookstore :) ( )
  ArchanaV | Jul 16, 2017 |
This is a quick, fun read. With an overview of the history of books and bookselling, as well as reminiscences about his own life among books, the author covers a lot of ground in this small volume. Lots of fun for any bookaholic! ( )
  glade1 | May 8, 2017 |
Really enjoyable little book about books, my favorite topic! ( )
  Iambookish | Dec 14, 2016 |
I read this fairly recently, and yet don't remember much. So, I guess it must not've been noteworthy-ingly good or bad, imo. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
for my mother and father
When I walk into a bookstore, any bookstore, first thing in the morning, I'm flooded with a sense of hushed excitement. I shouldn't feel this way. I've spent most of my adult life working in bookstores....

Buzbee, a former bookseller and sales representative, celebrates the unique experience of the bookstore - the smell and touch of books, getting lost in the deep canyons of shelves, and the silent community of readers. He shares his passion for books, which began with ordering through The Weekly Reader in grade school. Interwoven throughout is a historical account of the bookseller's trade - from the great Alexandria library with an estimated one million papyrus scrolls to Sylvia Beach's famous Paris bookstore, Shakespeare and Company, which led to the extraordinary effort to publish and sell James Joyce's Ulysses during the 1920s.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,943,340 books! | Top bar: Always visible