The Yellow-lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee

The Yellow-lighted Bookshop (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Lewis Buzbee

Member:elliepotten
Title:The Yellow-lighted Bookshop
Authors:Lewis Buzbee (Author)
Info:Graywolf Press,U.S. (2007), Hardcover, 180 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2008
Tags:autobiography, books, books about books, bookselling, literature, history, politics, economics

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee (2006)

Buzbee's prose is ocassionally wonderful, but not sustainingly so. I faltered in my reading, but finally finished the last chapter, a short list of his favorite bookstores. As a past bookseller and librarian, I enjoyed the journey, for the most part. ( )
1 vote 2wonderY | Jun 8, 2015 |
This is a history/memoir. Lewis Buzbee has been a customer, an employee and a sales rep for bookstores. He talks about all these experiences in this book, along with a history of the book and booksellers.

I really enjoyed this. I especially found the history interesting. He intersperses his own experiences with the history information. The book was written in 2006, so e-books were really just taking off in popularity, so he only says a little bit about them, but not much. People who love bookstores would really enjoy this, I think, but also others who are interested in the history of books. ( )
1 vote LibraryCin | Jun 6, 2015 |
I read this fairly recently, and yet don't remember much. So, I guess it must not've been noteworthy-ingly good or bad, imo. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
This was a fun book to read. I love to read what other lovers of bookstores share about their experiences in visiting bookstores. If I could visit a new bookstore everyday, I would. But I don't travel that much. When I did go on some trips with a group, bookstores were not on our lists of things to do. But I still tried. This author did a lot of visiting to book stores because it was part of his job for a number of years. Needless to say, I envied him.
  libraryhermit | Jan 4, 2015 |
LOVED IT!!! Such a great writer about such a great topic. Book selling. I am a bookseller I could relate to so much. I also remember being that kid that loved the day the Book Mobile would come to the neighborhood. I grew up with Nancy Drew and Bobbsy Twins. I read this book in a few hours, I found it that interesting. I also loved reading about the history of bookselling and printing. Descriptions of the different books stores transported my to many different places. For any bookseller or booklover. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Nov 8, 2014 |
for my mother and father
When I walk into a bookstore, any bookstore, first thing in the morning, I'm flooded with a sense of hushed excitement. I shouldn't feel this way. I've spent most of my adult life working in bookstores....

Buzbee, a former bookseller and sales representative, celebrates the unique experience of the bookstore - the smell and touch of books, getting lost in the deep canyons of shelves, and the silent community of readers. He shares his passion for books, which began with ordering through The Weekly Reader in grade school. Interwoven throughout is a historical account of the bookseller's trade - from the great Alexandria library with an estimated one million papyrus scrolls to Sylvia Beach's famous Paris bookstore, Shakespeare and Company, which led to the extraordinary effort to publish and sell James Joyce's Ulysses during the 1920s.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,860,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible