The Yellow-lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee

The Yellow-lighted Bookshop (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Lewis Buzbee (Author)

Member:elliepotten
Title:The Yellow-lighted Bookshop
Authors:Lewis Buzbee (Author)
Info:Graywolf Press,U.S. (2007), Hardcover, 180 pages
Collections:Your library, Read in 2008
Tags:autobiography, books, books about books, bookselling, literature, history, politics, economics

The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee (2006)

LOVED IT!!! Such a great writer about such a great topic. Book selling. I am a bookseller I could relate to so much. I also remember being that kid that loved the day the Book Mobile would come to the neighborhood. I grew up with Nancy Drew and Bobbsy Twins. I read this book in a few hours, I found it that interesting. I also loved reading about the history of bookselling and printing. Descriptions of the different books stores transported my to many different places. For any bookseller or booklover. ( )
  bnbookgirl | Nov 8, 2014 |
I love to read books about books, and about book lovers. I could see a lot of myself in this book. I especially liked the essays about lusting after books, how the author got hooked on reading, books he enjoyed. The one puzzle to me is the name of the book--the author never explains the meaning of the title. Also, the last chapter on ebooks and internet book stores seems a bit outdated to me, as I am also an ebook reader as well as a reader of printed text. I love the both. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Jul 8, 2014 |
An absolutely delightful book! I highly recommend it for anyone who loves books. ( )
  sbsolter | Feb 6, 2014 |
As is typical of this genre, the best parts are the accounts of personal history of working in bookshops. These engaging snippets are interlaced with more extensive history of the bookstore. He makes some very interesting historical claims, which are unfortunately unsourced so it can be frustrating to those who would like to follow up those details further. Nonetheless, a pleasant read and well-produced volume. ( )
  dono421846 | Jan 18, 2014 |
This is ok -- not bad, but not a great read either.

It is a book about books. As we know, books are magic and open doors.

The author talks about his experiences as a reader, a book store employee and a book seller. While he writes of books, somehow, I didn't hear the enthusiasm expected from someone who touched thousands of books.

Somewhat pedantic and unemotional, the author wrote of the history of books (I found this interesting), the sale of books and those who frequent the stores.

Little is mentioned about libraries.

The magic of books simply doesn't shine through in Buzbee's writing. But, I would recommend reading it because there are chapters that are very well written and informative. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | May 23, 2013 |
for my mother and father
When I walk into a bookstore, any bookstore, first thing in the morning, I'm flooded with a sense of hushed excitement. I shouldn't feel this way. I've spent most of my adult life working in bookstores....

Buzbee, a former bookseller and sales representative, celebrates the unique experience of the bookstore - the smell and touch of books, getting lost in the deep canyons of shelves, and the silent community of readers. He shares his passion for books, which began with ordering through The Weekly Reader in grade school. Interwoven throughout is a historical account of the bookseller's trade - from the great Alexandria library with an estimated one million papyrus scrolls to Sylvia Beach's famous Paris bookstore, Shakespeare and Company, which led to the extraordinary effort to publish and sell James Joyce's Ulysses during the 1920s.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,940,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible