The Legacy: A Novel by Katherine Webb

The Legacy: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Katherine Webb

3904827,499 (3.56)1 / 31
Member:evilibby
Title:The Legacy: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Webb
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Legacy by Katherine Webb (2010)

Recently added byjenladuca, private library, boogirl13, il.g.n.madsen, INorris, cookies71, sandra.k.heinzman

English (44)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (48)
The Legacy is the story of two sisters, Erica and Beth, who are making a return to their grandmother's English manor house which is haunted by childhood memories of the disappearance of their (bratty) cousin, Henry. Storton Manor is filled with the ghosts of their childhood memories both good and bad which the sisters must face as they make the difficult decision about whether they will stay and live in the sprawling mansion or sell. During the time they spend there, an old friend shows up, and events long past are revisited with suprising outcomes. Interwoven with Erica and Beth's story is the story of their great-grandmother, Caroline, a child of privilege living in New York City who marries for love and moves to Oklahoma Territory in 1902 to be with her husband on his ranch. Times are hard on the Oklahoma frontier, and Caroline soon begins to wonder if love is enough to sustain her.

Webb laces the two very different stories together so skillfully that they seem to truly belong together, and though it's not a fast-moving book by any means, it's filled with the suspense of wondering how the two stories must intersect. The characters are very well fleshed out so that even when they do loathsome things, you can understand why. A part of me wanted to loathe Caroline, she's not a particularly lovable character, but Webb draws out her isolation and her struggles against it so well that you can nearly understand when the suffering she perceives drives her to do unforgivable things and how her legacy impacts her family down through several generations. The book was a slow read for me but was made the better for it because it's so richly atmospheric that you want to spend more time in the dusty halls of Storton Manor and Caroline and Corin's Oklahoma ranch. Webb's dual storyline makes for an addictive and satisfying read that I heartily recommend. ( )
  yourotherleft | Feb 7, 2015 |
Beautifully written family mystery. ( )
  oldstick | Jul 14, 2014 |
A quick read about 2 family mysteries separated by several generations.
The writing was engaging and the intertwined stories well-managed but the modern-day mystery was very predictable. It was obvious to me quite early what had happened. The answer to the question why was a bit unsatisfactory as was the final resolution. The story from the early 20th century was more interesting but far-fetched.
A lot of recent books employ this double story approach. It can succeed if handled carefully but there is just so much of it lately that it seems like a formula or the product of a writing workshop. It is a shame because if this was the first of these books I had read I might have liked it a lot more.
In any case, it is a good story and worth reading. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jan 9, 2014 |
Jumping between the present and past, usually into previous generations, is clearly in vogue. I haven't minded this for the most part, but for me it's begun to feel formulaic. With this book and the last one I read, one generation kept me reading in spite of how unengaged I was with the other. In this book I simply wasn't interested in the characters in the present. As much as I tried to care about what mystery was behind Beth's mental state and what happened to Henry, it wasn't until I'd reached the second half of the book that I actually wanted to fast-forward from the early 1900s to read their stories.

I thought that the author did an excellent job in establishing time and place, and the leap from early frontier life in America to the gentrified country estate in present day England felt real. I could almost feel the dry wind and layers of sand on my skin but also the bitter damp of winter in England.

I enjoyed this book overall and would recommend it. I just wish I could have cared as much about the characters in the present as I did their predecessors. ( )
  Misses_London | Aug 16, 2013 |
Beth and Erica stand to inherit their grandmother's manor, save they choose to live there. Attached to this inheritance are childhood memories, some good and mostly unpleasant, including the disappearance of their cousin Henry. Unfolding alongside this story is another, set in a different time and place. Caroline, a New York society girl, finds herself married to a cattle rancher and on her way to a new life in the Oklahoma Territory. Soon, the lives of these three women converge and the mystery of Henry's disappearance becomes clear.

Katherine Webb did an excellent job of weaving two time periods together. Each chapter ends with a cliff-hanger that is believable and links to the following chapter. I despised the character Caroline. She was selfish, immature, weak-willed and cowardly. She was a miserable woman who never took a chance, and when she did, she disrupted the lives of many people who had only shown her kindness and compassion. ( )
  laurensx | Jun 9, 2013 |
Twee zussen, een hartverscheurend geheim en een verleden dat niet verborgen kan blijven...
To Mum and Dad
Gradually, Caroline returned to her senses.
'Tis calm indeed! so calm, that it disturbs
And vexes meditation with its strange
And extreme silentness.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Frost at Midnight

After the death of their grandmother, Erica Calcott and her sister Beth return to Storton Manor in Wiltshire, England, where they, while sorting through her things, decide to discover what really happened to their cousin Henry whose disappearance tore the family apart so that the past can be laid to rest.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Legacy by Katherine Webb was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,179,543 books! | Top bar: Always visible