The Legacy: A Novel by Katherine Webb

The Legacy: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Katherine Webb

3524731,026 (3.55)1 / 29
Member:evilibby
Title:The Legacy: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Webb
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Legacy by Katherine Webb (2010)

English (43)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (47)
Beautifully written family mystery. ( )
  oldstick | Jul 14, 2014 |
A quick read about 2 family mysteries separated by several generations.
The writing was engaging and the intertwined stories well-managed but the modern-day mystery was very predictable. It was obvious to me quite early what had happened. The answer to the question why was a bit unsatisfactory as was the final resolution. The story from the early 20th century was more interesting but far-fetched.
A lot of recent books employ this double story approach. It can succeed if handled carefully but there is just so much of it lately that it seems like a formula or the product of a writing workshop. It is a shame because if this was the first of these books I had read I might have liked it a lot more.
In any case, it is a good story and worth reading. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jan 9, 2014 |
Jumping between the present and past, usually into previous generations, is clearly in vogue. I haven't minded this for the most part, but for me it's begun to feel formulaic. With this book and the last one I read, one generation kept me reading in spite of how unengaged I was with the other. In this book I simply wasn't interested in the characters in the present. As much as I tried to care about what mystery was behind Beth's mental state and what happened to Henry, it wasn't until I'd reached the second half of the book that I actually wanted to fast-forward from the early 1900s to read their stories.

I thought that the author did an excellent job in establishing time and place, and the leap from early frontier life in America to the gentrified country estate in present day England felt real. I could almost feel the dry wind and layers of sand on my skin but also the bitter damp of winter in England.

I enjoyed this book overall and would recommend it. I just wish I could have cared as much about the characters in the present as I did their predecessors. ( )
  Misses_London | Aug 16, 2013 |
Beth and Erica stand to inherit their grandmother's manor, save they choose to live there. Attached to this inheritance are childhood memories, some good and mostly unpleasant, including the disappearance of their cousin Henry. Unfolding alongside this story is another, set in a different time and place. Caroline, a New York society girl, finds herself married to a cattle rancher and on her way to a new life in the Oklahoma Territory. Soon, the lives of these three women converge and the mystery of Henry's disappearance becomes clear.

Katherine Webb did an excellent job of weaving two time periods together. Each chapter ends with a cliff-hanger that is believable and links to the following chapter. I despised the character Caroline. She was selfish, immature, weak-willed and cowardly. She was a miserable woman who never took a chance, and when she did, she disrupted the lives of many people who had only shown her kindness and compassion. ( )
  laurensx | Jun 9, 2013 |
yes it is romance novel and all the english high society is in every romance story and then there is the wild gypsy and native indian. story was certianly fiction and not the least believable but a decent entertainment. ( )
  kakadoo202 | Dec 1, 2012 |
Twee zussen, een hartverscheurend geheim en een verleden dat niet verborgen kan blijven...
To Mum and Dad
Gradually, Caroline returned to her senses.
'Tis calm indeed! so calm, that it disturbs
And vexes meditation with its strange
And extreme silentness.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Frost at Midnight

After the death of their grandmother, Erica Calcott and her sister Beth return to Storton Manor in Wiltshire, England, where they, while sorting through her things, decide to discover what really happened to their cousin Henry whose disappearance tore the family apart so that the past can be laid to rest.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Legacy by Katherine Webb was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,276,048 books! | Top bar: Always visible