The Legacy: A Novel by Katherine Webb

The Legacy: A Novel (original 2010; edition 2011)

by Katherine Webb

4285224,653 (3.55)1 / 34
Member:evilibby
Title:The Legacy: A Novel
Authors:Katherine Webb
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:Read 2012, Read but unowned
Rating:***

The Legacy by Katherine Webb (2010)

English (48)  Catalan (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  All languages (52)
I just read the last hundred pages and was entirely engrossed with the ending. When I first started the book, I found that I spent a lot of time questioning what was happening and who the people were and what time period the actual novel was taking place. My questions were eventually answered as I kept reading . . . glad I did! The story is actually told by two different people - Caroline and her life around 1900's in America and then Erica and her life around 2010. In order not to give away too much of the plot, I will quote something from the back cover of the book. "Erica and Beth Calcott return to the house where they spent idyllic summers as children. As Erica sorts through her late grandmother's belongings, strange fragments of family history, and vivid memories, break the surface of the present day . . . Memories of their cousin, Henry, who disappeared one summer long ago. Of their grandmother, a bitter woman, full of a deep, dark hatred. As Erica sifts through remnants of the past, a secret emerges, reaching all the way back to a beautiful heiress in turn-of-the-century Oklahoma. As past and present converge, Erica and Beth must come to terms with two terrible acts of betrayal - and the heartbreaking legacy left behind." ( )
  MelAnnC | Jul 22, 2016 |
dvije sestre se vracaju u oronilu kucu za koju ih vezu samo ruzne uspomene,kakve tajne ce sve saznati, zivote promjeniti,progledati,ozdraviti... ( )
  ceca78 | Apr 10, 2016 |
This is an absorbing book. It takes place in two different time periods: the present and the early part of the 20th century: from 1902-1905. The prologue is set in 1905 and intrigued me for most of the book.

Caroline is the historical protagonist who we meet in 1902, living in the United States. She has fallen in love with a farmer who lives out on the prairies. Marrying him will mean leaving everything she knows and adjusting to a very different lifestyle.

Interspersed with Caroline’s story, the present day story features Erica and her older sister Beth who have just inherited an old family mansion. Beth has something in her past that she wants to forget. Erica, by contrast, wants to remember. She’s also intrigued by the more distant past, when she finds some old letters, and a photograph of her great-grandmother Caroline as a young woman, with an unknown baby…

It’s well written, the story gradually unfolding in both time frames. I thought the way that the secrets came to light, with a few twists and turns along the way, was cleverly and neatly done.

In places it felt a bit long-winded; I wanted the middle section to go rather faster. But by the final third of the book I was gripped, guessing things I was evidently supposed to guess, surprised by events that were, nevertheless, believable in context.

The characterisation isn’t particularly deep. I didn’t feel any real emotional connection to anyone, and felt that some of Caroline’s actions in her part of the story were a bit unlikely. One or two parts of the story were a bit frustrating, too; and I’d like to have seen some more positive resolutions of a couple of the threads.

Nonetheless, it’s a thought-provoking story that paints a fascinating picture of life on the prairies over a century ago, contrasted strongly modern-day country living. Changing attitudes to minority groups are also shown, almost in passing, in a way that feels real.

Recommended to anyone who likes well-written and thought-provoking women's fiction. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
This was a very gripping listening about a family history. Two sisters went back to their late grandmother's manor. There was a legacy that they wouldn't inherit the house because it was thought that their missing cousin should be the legal owner of it.
When the two sisters arrived around Christmas time they got threw back into their family history which was a great secret. Erika couldn't let go to dig out all the secrets whereas her sister would have liked to keep it buried. They meet people from their past but also from their ancestors and in the end Erika was able to put together all pieces. ( )
  Ameise1 | Jun 21, 2015 |
The Legacy is the story of two sisters, Erica and Beth, who are making a return to their grandmother's English manor house which is haunted by childhood memories of the disappearance of their (bratty) cousin, Henry. Storton Manor is filled with the ghosts of their childhood memories both good and bad which the sisters must face as they make the difficult decision about whether they will stay and live in the sprawling mansion or sell. During the time they spend there, an old friend shows up, and events long past are revisited with suprising outcomes. Interwoven with Erica and Beth's story is the story of their great-grandmother, Caroline, a child of privilege living in New York City who marries for love and moves to Oklahoma Territory in 1902 to be with her husband on his ranch. Times are hard on the Oklahoma frontier, and Caroline soon begins to wonder if love is enough to sustain her.

Webb laces the two very different stories together so skillfully that they seem to truly belong together, and though it's not a fast-moving book by any means, it's filled with the suspense of wondering how the two stories must intersect. The characters are very well fleshed out so that even when they do loathsome things, you can understand why. A part of me wanted to loathe Caroline, she's not a particularly lovable character, but Webb draws out her isolation and her struggles against it so well that you can nearly understand when the suffering she perceives drives her to do unforgivable things and how her legacy impacts her family down through several generations. The book was a slow read for me but was made the better for it because it's so richly atmospheric that you want to spend more time in the dusty halls of Storton Manor and Caroline and Corin's Oklahoma ranch. Webb's dual storyline makes for an addictive and satisfying read that I heartily recommend. ( )
  yourotherleft | Feb 7, 2015 |

Katherine Webbprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Sundberg, AnnikaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Twee zussen, een hartverscheurend geheim en een verleden dat niet verborgen kan blijven...
To Mum and Dad
Gradually, Caroline returned to her senses.
'Tis calm indeed! so calm, that it disturbs
And vexes meditation with its strange
And extreme silentness.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Frost at Midnight

After the death of their grandmother, Erica Calcott and her sister Beth return to Storton Manor in Wiltshire, England, where they, while sorting through her things, decide to discover what really happened to their cousin Henry whose disappearance tore the family apart so that the past can be laid to rest.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

The Legacy by Katherine Webb was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,338,765 books! | Top bar: Always visible