Past Midnight (Harlequin Teen) by Mara…

Past Midnight (Harlequin Teen) (edition 2010)

by Mara Purnhagen

Member:tames
Title:Past Midnight (Harlequin Teen)
Authors:Mara Purnhagen
Info:Harlequin Teen (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 224 pages
Rating:***
Tags:softcover, read

Past Midnight by Mara Purnhagen

Charlotte just wants to be a normal teenager, but her ghost hunting parents make it hard. Pretty soon Charlotte is knee-deep in ghosts who are following her, friends who need to reach a dead friend, and what to where to prom.

It's a fun story with a coming-of-age theme: finding and keeping friends, dealing with parents, and a little mystery thrown in! ( )
  WiseYoungFools | Mar 25, 2014 |
Review for books 1 and 2 of the Past Midnight series

I've always been a fan of ghost stories, even when they terrified me to the point of huddling under the covers with only a tiny air hole open at top, so not even a ghostly breeze could touch me.*

Thing is, I've loved good spooky stories without being overly horrifying or gory, but sadly I haven't seen many good ones crop up in middle grade or young adult fiction over the past few years.

Enter Mara Purnhagen, who has written creepy ghost stories that make me want to burn the candles late into the night as I read, even with the possibility that I won't be able to sleep in a creaking house later. The premise struck me immediately—the daughter of ghost debunkers is followed home by the spooks that apparently don't exist—the writing and characterization are solid enough to provide a captivating story.

While her books will probably be classified as paranormal romance, I prefer to think of them as magical realism. These ghosts are the goosebumpily realistic kind that could potentially happen to anyone—if you believe in ghosts. Maybe even if you didn't.

Both books are good, solid stories, though I was more captivated by the first, Past Midnight. There is also a short story, Raising the Dead, touted book 1.5, that I've downloaded to my Kindle but still waits to be read.

Overall, I enjoy this series and look forward to Purnhagen's forthcoming titles.

*I haven't done that since I was a kid. Well, not really.

Thanks to Harlequin Teen for review copies of both books ( )
  shellwitte | Dec 11, 2013 |
RATING: 3 stars.

Even I am astonished for giving three stars to this book. Why? Because it was short and it lacked some serious character and story development.

But... I really liked the idea behind the story. Charlotte, the main character is completely human. That's right! No weird powers and no supernatural blood flowing through her veins. She's just a normal girl, who just happens to be the daughter of two ghost-story debunkers. They even have their own show. But then, after a filming in a supposedly haunted location weird things start happening to Charlotte. Ghost-related things.

So I thought the author could have developed some parts of the story better. Everything felt rushed (especially the ending) and most of the characters had little to no personality whatsoever. That was the main problem with this book, it was just too short.

The author had this great, fresh idea for a new YA paranormal series (without insta-romance, too!) but I felt like the story was missing scenes and everything was, as I said above, rushed. The end of the book seemed a bit unrealistic and confusing too. Still, overall I liked to read about Charlotte and her scientist parents and I loved how the author treated the supernatural elements of the plot. Maybe we'll get more character development in future books. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
I was interested in reading this book because of the ghost hunting parents. I mean, that's pretty awesome. And the fact that her parents try to prove that ghosts aren't real is even better, especially when their daughter now has ghosts following her and basically tormenting her until she figures something out for them, but what they want her to find out is beyond everybody.

I really liked this book. It was something fun and different to read. I didn't find it very scary or anything, though sometimes it did get a little spooky, but that could have been because I was reading at work once, when I was by myself after everyone left, and we just got finished talking about how the place was haunted. So. That may have been the case.

I really enjoyed all the characters, though sometimes the main character, Charlotte, annoyed me a little, just a little though. And I really liked the sub plot with Charlotte's best friend.

I found this book to be a very refreshing read. ( )
  taleofnight | Sep 29, 2012 |

Let me set the record straight. My name is Charlotte Silver and I'm not one of those paranormal-obsessed freaks you see on TV…no, those would be my parents, who have their own ghost-hunting reality show. And while I'm usually roped into the behind-the-scenes work, it turns out that I haven't gone unnoticed. Something happened on my parents' research trip in Charleston—and now I'm being stalked by some truly frightening other beings. Trying to fit into a new school and keeping my parents' creepy occupation a secret from my friends—and potential boyfriends—is hard enough without having angry spirits whispering in my ear.
All I ever wanted was to be normal, but with ghosts of my past and present colliding, now I just want to make it out of high school alive….

Charlotte, whose parents host a ghost-hunting reality show, is being stalked by frightening spirits, and she tries to deal with the hauntings while trying to live a normal teenage life at her new high school.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,785,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible