After You'd Gone by Maggie…

After You'd Gone (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Maggie O'Farrell

Member:dreambeliever
Title:After You'd Gone
Authors:Maggie O'Farrell
Info:Penguin Books (2002), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Kindle, Read but unowned, Your library
Rating:***

After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell (2000)

English (41)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (45)
About sisters, so of course, I liked it. ( )
  ltfitch1 | Jun 5, 2016 |
You know that rule some people have about reading 50 pages of a book and deciding whether to put it down or continue with it? Well I’m not sure if this would have made it if I were a stickler to that rule. Actually, writing that, I’m not sure exactly which page it was that made me realize I liked this book. But I do know that I mostly muddled my way through the first lot of pages. The narration confused me a little. Multiple points of view, different periods of time. It was as if the pieces of the jigsaw puzzle were in front of me, but I didn’t have the faintest idea what the picture was. It didn’t help that I read part of it after the 430/5 am feedings, using the night mode on the Bluefire ereader app.

But there was something about Alice. When she meets her John and they muddle their way into a relationship. There’s something about his doggedness, her seeming initial reluctance to be a part of it, then it grows into that sweetness of love, bolstered by their determination to be together despite disapproval. Their immense, heady, head-in-the-clouds love. That was what made me want to carry on. That was what took my own heart a little bit. This relationship, this character of Alice, these things creep under your skin and

The story begins with Alice, heading out on the train to Edinburgh to see her sisters. But something happens and she decides to head back to London. She steps out into the street and is hit by a car. As she lies in a coma in hospital, the narrative, as I had mentioned earlier*, flits from the present to the past, unravelling the circumstances that have led up to this day. This involves her mother, her grandmother, her sisters, and her John.

This story has stayed with me, and everytime I think of it, I feel strangely overwhelmed. There is so much emotion and sentiment in this story. Perhaps it’s a little melodramatic, but it is very moving, and beautifully and sharply written.

I look up O’Farrell’s bibliography and realised that this was her first novel. I can’t wait to read the rest of her books! ( )
  RealLifeReading | Jan 19, 2016 |

RealLifeReading | Jan 19, 2016 |
I made a huge mistake in choosing to read AFTER YOU'D GONE, by Maggie O'Farrell. I'm not a fan of family dramas and here we have not one, not two, but three generations of familial bickering. I was initially intrigued by the book description where Alice, the youngest of the generations, "witnesses something so shocking that she insists on returning to London immediately." I wanted to know what she saw. Unfortunately, we don't know what she saw even when she sees it. I read 165 pages before I gave up. Skipping ahead to the end I finally got my answer. SO not worth it. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
This was a slow starter for me. For the first 50 or so pages, I wasn't quite sure what was going on. There are several characters introduced, lots of jumping back and forth in time. It all clicked perfectly after 100 pages. And from that point forward, I couldn't put this down. Maggie O'Farrell's writing is always beautiful. Her other books explore family secrets and this one is no different. Really great. If you're tempted to abandon it soon after you start it, don't. ( )
  KimHooperWrites | Aug 15, 2015 |
Whatever has happened, happens always
-- Andrew Greig

The past falls open anywhere
-- Michael Donaghy
To my mother
for not being like Alice's
The day she would try to kill herself, she realised winter was coming again.

Maggie O'Farrell's groundbreaking debut: a stunning, best-selling story of wrenching love and grief. A distraught young woman boards a train at King's Cross to return to her family in Scotland. Six hours later, she catches sight of something so terrible in a mirror at Waverley Station that she gets on the next train back to London. AFTER YOU'D GONE follows Alice's mental journey through her own past, after a traffic accident has left her in a coma. A love story that is also a story of absence, and of how our choices can reverberate through the generations, it slowly draws us closer to a dark secret at the family's heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:26 -0400)

A distraught young woman boards a train at King's Cross to return to her family in Scotland. Six hours later, she catches sight of something so terrible that she gets on the next train back to London, where a traffic accident leaves her in a coma.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,886,533 books! | Top bar: Always visible