After You'd Gone by Maggie…

After You'd Gone (original 2000; edition 2002)

by Maggie O'Farrell

Title:After You'd Gone
Authors:Maggie O'Farrell
Info:Penguin Books (2002), Edition: Reissue, Paperback, 384 pages
Collections:Kindle, Read but unowned, Your library

After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell (2000)

English (38)  Hungarian (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
I made a huge mistake in choosing to read AFTER YOU'D GONE, by Maggie O'Farrell. I'm not a fan of family dramas and here we have not one, not two, but three generations of familial bickering. I was initially intrigued by the book description where Alice, the youngest of the generations, "witnesses something so shocking that she insists on returning to London immediately." I wanted to know what she saw. Unfortunately, we don't know what she saw even when she sees it. I read 165 pages before I gave up. Skipping ahead to the end I finally got my answer. SO not worth it. ( )
  BooksOn23rd | Nov 25, 2015 |
This was a slow starter for me. For the first 50 or so pages, I wasn't quite sure what was going on. There are several characters introduced, lots of jumping back and forth in time. It all clicked perfectly after 100 pages. And from that point forward, I couldn't put this down. Maggie O'Farrell's writing is always beautiful. Her other books explore family secrets and this one is no different. Really great. If you're tempted to abandon it soon after you start it, don't. ( )
  KimHooperWrites | Aug 15, 2015 |
Alice steps,off the curb into traffic and ends up in a coma? Was she trying to kill herself? The story unfolds through members of her family! Made me cry!!! ( )
  amanaceerdh | Jan 9, 2015 |
O'Farrell has an amazing ability to bring you inside Alice's grief. ( )
  ccayne | Oct 16, 2014 |
Excellent prose. Jumps about a bit between years but not too problematic to story thread. Felt somewhat unfinished. ( )
  happyanddandy1 | Dec 28, 2013 |
Whatever has happened, happens always
-- Andrew Greig

The past falls open anywhere
-- Michael Donaghy
To my mother
for not being like Alice's
The day she would try to kill herself, she realised winter was coming again.

Maggie O'Farrell's groundbreaking debut: a stunning, best-selling story of wrenching love and grief. A distraught young woman boards a train at King's Cross to return to her family in Scotland. Six hours later, she catches sight of something so terrible in a mirror at Waverley Station that she gets on the next train back to London. AFTER YOU'D GONE follows Alice's mental journey through her own past, after a traffic accident has left her in a coma. A love story that is also a story of absence, and of how our choices can reverberate through the generations, it slowly draws us closer to a dark secret at the family's heart.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:59:26 -0400)

A distraught young woman boards a train at King's Cross to return to her family in Scotland. Six hours later, she catches sight of something so terrible that she gets on the next train back to London, where a traffic accident leaves her in a coma.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,953,166 books! | Top bar: Always visible