The Unwritten, Volume 2: Inside Man by Mike…

The Unwritten, Volume 2: Inside Man (edition 2010)

by Mike Carey, Peter Gross (Illustrator)

Member:igorken
Title:The Unwritten, Volume 2: Inside Man
Authors:Mike Carey
Other authors:Peter Gross (Illustrator)
Info:Vertigo (2010), Paperback, 168 pages
Rating:***
Tags:comic, fantasy, stories

The Unwritten Vol. 2: Inside Man by Mike Carey

English (15)  Norwegian (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (17)
This second volume is certainly better than the first; the story starts to come into its own a bit and begins to take shape, with some interesting developments and a new character added. That said, while it has piqued my interest and curiosity, it's still not quite there yet. I'm curious what will happen next, but it hasn't gripped me, I feel no urge to go rushing out to find out what Tom(my) will.deal with next. ( )
  PolymathicMonkey | Dec 29, 2013 |
Tom arrives at Donostia prison and falls into the Roland story, which doesn't end well, and escapes only to find himself in a ghost version of 1940's Stuttgart ruled by a Goebbels who wishes for victory or death. Like the first installment, this is an innovative story about the connection between fiction and reality and how fiction affect our lives. The meta aspects are a boon to any lover of fiction and Tom's character is getting stronger and more likable. This book does feel a little like an interim story, but I am very excited to see where Carey takes us as we follow Tom on his journey to finding out who and what he is. The Alice-epilogue is quite creepy too, especially as it is based on such a loved story. ( )
  -Eva- | Nov 3, 2013 |
Hmmm. When I first started The Unwritten, I liked the literary allusions. In this second volume (collecting issues 6-12 of the comic), I got a little lost, partially because one of our main narrators is Joseph Goebbels (and there's more than a fair amount of untranslated German). The authors use a film (and book) I wasn't aware of (Jud Suss) so I felt pretty lost. And the arc ends with a really warped fairy tale. Interesting pieces, but definitely not a self-contained whole. There's enough to make me look for the third volume, but there's a little doubt in my mind about how this series may continue.

-------------------
LT Haiku:

Escapes and doorknobs
to other worlds provide hints
to power of words. ( )
1 vote legallypuzzled | Sep 29, 2013 |
I love this addictive series and its even better than Volume One.

Note to self: I got it personally signed in late October 2010 by Mike Carey, Peter Gross and cover artist, Yuko Shimizu. ( )
  classicmaiden | Jul 8, 2013 |
Oh this one is so good ! The plot thickens.

Can you imagine what would happens if Tom was at the centre of a spree murder conspiracy ? Doesn't Tom owe something to the world (well to the fanatic at least) ? After all, a whole generation has thrived and developed its imagination on Tommy Taylor series and he's Tommy Taylor real-life incarnation. Right ?

Who are the men trying to trick Tom ? All right, there is a world's literature conspiracy. But what does it have to do with Tom and why, why the world doesn't leave him alone. There is a conspiracy, but just to be clear, this one is just to F**K with his mind.

A real pleasure, you're in for a fun ride of fantasy, intrigue and litterature. ( )
  electrice | Apr 10, 2013 |
While spinning the fascinating tale of his reluctant hero’s odyssey, Carey delves deeply into how stories influence reality—most movingly here in the characters of an indulgent father and his two children, who may play at being Tommy Taylor’s wizard friends a little too avidly. A dark, thoughtful metafiction with all of literature as its canvas; like Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next, with teeth. Highly recommended

If you like Willingham's Fables and the way that an adventure story can explore story itself, The Unwritten continues to satisfy. Highly recommended.

Mike Careyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Escapes and doorknobs

to other worlds provide hints

to power of words.

(legallypuzzled)

Tom Taylor's life was screwed from the word go. His father created the mega-popular Tommy Taylor boy-wizard fantasy novels. But dad modeled the fictional epic so closely to Tom that fans constantly compare him to his counterpart, turning him into a lame, Z-level celebrity. When a scandal hints that Tom might really be the boy-wizard made flesh, Tom comes into contact with a mysterious, deadly group that's secretly kept tabs on him all his life. Now, to protect his life and discover the truth behind his origins, Tom will travel the world, to all the places in world history where fictions have shaped reality."Tom Taylor has spent his entire life a prisoner of his father's literary legacy-- and the famous, fictional boy wizard, Tommy Taylor, whose name he shares. But now he's a prisoner of an entirely different kind. Framed for the murder of a houseful of famous authors by forces he's only beginning to comprehend, Tom finds himself behind bars in a foreign land. Prison walls may keep him inside, but they won't keep out his powerful enemies-- who want him as dead as his supposed victioms. Tom's about to discover that his father's escapist stories may be his only hope of escaping. But as the wall between fact and fiction becomed weaker, woe to those who find themselves in the way when it collapses. After all, not every story has a happy ending--" -- p. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,327,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible