Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three…

Abraham: A Journey to the Heart of Three Faiths

by Bruce Feiler

Quoting from the dust cover: "Bruce Feiler set out on a personal quest to better understand our common patriarch. Traveling in war zones, climbing through caves and ancient shrines, and sitting down with the world's leading minds, Feiler discovers the untold story of the man who defines faith for half the world. Both immediate and timeless,. . .Abraham offers a rare vision of hope that will redefine what we think about out neighbors, our future, and ourselves."
  uufnn | Mar 10, 2016 |
I started reading this book because it was one of the New York Best Seller. Not much of a religion based book reader, i was not expecting i would finish this book. But I did finish it. This book is interesting enough to keep you going and finish it. What I loved is the message the book conveys....That whichever religion you follow....whichever God you believe... one can find a way to co-exist. ( )
  meetpraj | Nov 25, 2015 |
This is certainly an interesting read and an easy one. I thought the author did an excellent job of providing three points of view from the three major faiths that each claim Abraham. More importantly, he provided an insight to the factthat Abraham is a different person to each of the faiths, or that he is a composite of many individuals, or questions if he actually existed at all. The end notes, questions, and readings provided at the end were helpful.

The only reason I didn't give this a 5 star was a note of flippancy that I detected some time. Spending paragraph space on why Hollywood hasn't depicted Abraham, referring to the average individual as "joe sixpack", and some what I would call "cute" phrasing seemed to take away from the significance of the book. This is definitely not a reference for someone working on a doctorate in theology, but it does provide a good overview for those of us who just want to "get an idea" of who Abraham was and the often conflicting views of his story.

Lastly, the appeal for understanding between the faiths is commendable, but it seems to provide a feel of "grasping at straws." Sadly, however, that may be about all we have to even begin to bring an end to the huge chasm between the three faiths. ( )
1 vote maryreinert | Aug 16, 2013 |
In this short work, Feiler reviews the Biblical story of Abraham and then describes how the myth of Abraham has changed over time and between the Abrahamic religions. It is well-written and interesting, and its length is well-suited for the amount of information Feiler wishes to convey. (There were no lengthy speculations in order to add bulk!) I enjoyed it and learned a little bit, too! ( )
1 vote The_Hibernator | Jul 12, 2012 |
I found this book interesting because it gets down to where the three major faiths around 'God' (Jewish, Islam, and Christianity) split. I always thought that the 2 brother Isaac (Jewish faith) and Ishmael (Islam) should be serving the same God and know why the went their separate ways according to God. But it is interesting to see how people from these 3 faiths try to work it out. One says that Isaac was the favored son and the other says Ishmael is the favored son. Of course Christians went the way of Isaac because Jesus came from that lineage. I'm 3/4 done with the book. ( )
1 vote foreyer | Jan 16, 2012 |
For Jessica Korn and Max Stier
Blessings
They start walking just after dawn.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0380977761, Hardcover)

At a time when conflicts among three of the world's major religions--Islam, Judaism, and Christianity--are in the global spotlight, Bruce Feiler offers a stunning biography of the one man who unites all three religions: Abraham. "The most mesmerizing story of Abraham's life--his offering a son to God--plays a pivotal role in the holiest week of the Christian year, at Easter," writes Feiler. "The story is recited at the start of the holiest fortnight in Judaism, on Rosh Hashanah. The episode inspires the holiest day in Islam, 'Id al-Adha,' the Feast of the Sacrifice, at the climax of the Pilgrimage. And yet the religions can't even agree on which son he tried to kill." Herein lies the irony and perfection of Feiler's timing. As we struggle to find a path to peace among these three religions, all warring in Jerusalem, near the stone where Abraham brought his son for sacrifice, this captivating biography speaks to Abraham as the metaphor he is: the historically elusive man who embodies three religions, a character who has shape-shifted over the millennia to serve the clashing goals and dogma of each religion.

Anyone seeking to understand the roots of tension in the Middle East need look no further than the final half of this book, where Feiler interprets the meaning of Abraham as seen through the prism of each religion. Surprisingly, the book is as entertaining as it is thoughtful: Feiler is a masterful writer with a warm, humorous voice, a dazzling way with metaphors, and an underlying intelligence that comes through in every passage. Abraham deserves the highest of recommendations. --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

In this timely, provocative, and uplifting journey, the bestselling author of "Walking the Bible" searches for the man at the heart of the world's three monotheistic religions--and today's deadliest conflicts. "Abraham" uncovers fascinating, little-known details of the man who defines faith for half of the world. Endpaper maps.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,229,164 books! | Top bar: Always visible