Alabama Moon by Watt Key

Alabama Moon (edition 2010)

by Watt Key

Info:Square Fish (2010), Edition: Media Tie-In, Paperback, 320 pages
Collections:Read but unowned
Tags:Bookmooch

Alabama Moon by Watt Key

This is a great adventure/survival story about a boy named Moon who has lived in the woods of Alabama with his father his own life, almost entirely cut off from civilization. When his father dies, Moon finds himself running from people who would help and hurt him as he tries to decide how he wants to live now.
  Clippers | Dec 21, 2017 |
This was a good young adult story of a young boy trying to find his way in life. I didn't realize that it was for a grade school or middle school reader when I borrowed it but I ended up really liking this tale. I would recommend.. ( )
  lacey.tucker | Mar 10, 2016 |
Narrated by Nick Landrum. From jacket: "Ten-year-old Moon has lived in an Alabama forest with his Pap ever since he can remember. Pap, a Vietnam vet, taught Moon how to survive--and how to keep away from the government. On his deathbed, Pap tells Moon that he must flee to Alaska to find others like them and continue to live free, without government restrictions. Soon though, a well-meaning acquaintance (lawyer Mr. Wellington) turns Moon over to the local boys' home. Moon is determined to keep the promise he made to his father, so with Hal and Kit, the first friends he's ever had, he sets off for Alaska. But Moon learns the hard way that you need to trust sometimes--and maybe Pap wasn't right to distrust everyone and everything." Moon's naive perspective of the world after his secluded upbringing was completely believable and poignant, especialy as presented in the audio version. Recommended for older fans of "Hatchet." Lib notes: Some mild profanity (sumbitch, damn). ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Entertaining young adult read. Interesting story and satisfying ending. ( )
  CarmenMilligan | Jan 18, 2016 |
This is one of several reviews I wrote for the late lamented Secular Homeschooling Magazine. We ran an article about homeschoolers in fiction, and I rated a lot of YA novels based on how good they were and how well they handled homeschooling. Mostly, homeschoolers were hauled out as the reliable weirdos in story after story; but it was still fun to do so much reading and call it my job.

So: Alabama Moon, by Watt Key

Category: Creepy backwoods illegal homeschooling

Summary: Occasional trips into town for supplies are the only times Moon gets to see anyone other than his father, or glimpse the world outside their tiny hidden home. Just before he dies, Moon's father advises Moon to leave Alabama and go to Alaska to seek others of their kind – people who know how to live off the land and refuse to have any relationship with the government. The fact that Moon is only ten when his father dies doesn't stop him from trying to follow this injunction. Fortunately, he doesn't succeed, though the reader becomes increasingly sympathetic with his wish to. Instead, Moon ends up in a warm, safe home with a loving family, and learns the difficult lesson that you can love and honor someone and still not agree with him – even if he's your father.

Conclusion: The "Little House" books will seem kind of creepy for about a week after you finish reading this.

Rating as a novel about homeschooling and/or homeschoolers: It's true that Watt Key is writing about one very unusual child in one very unusual situation. If you're a homeschooler, good luck explaining that to friends and relatives who read this book and panic about your decision to teach your own kids.

Rating as a novel: A brilliant, beautiful book with subtle characterization and a terrifically clever court scene that ties up all loose ends. Ideals of love, redemption, friendship and forgiveness permeate the story. ( )
  Deborah_Markus | Aug 8, 2015 |

I could trap my own food and make my own clothes. I could find my way by the stars and make fire in the rain. Pap said he even figured I could whip somebody three times my size. He wasn’t worried about me.

For as long as ten-year-old Moon can remember, he has lived out in the forest in a shelter with his father. They keep to themselves, their only contact with other human beings an occasional trip to the nearest general store. When Moon’s father dies, Moon follows his father’s last instructions: to travel to Alaska to find others like themselves. But Moon is soon caught and entangled in a world he doesn’t know or understand, apparent property of the government he has been avoiding all his life. As the spirited and resourceful Moon encounters constables, jails, institutions, lawyers, true friends, and true enemies, he adapts his wilderness survival skills and learns to survive in the outside world, and even, perhaps, make his home there.

In this compelling, action-packed book, Watt Key gives us the thrilling coming-of-age story of the unique and extremely appealing Moon.

Alabama Moon is a 2007 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:47 -0400)

After the death of his father, ten-year-old Moon leaves their forest shelter home and is sent to an Alabama institution, becoming entangled in the outside world he has never known and making good friends, a relentless enemy, and finally a new life.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,162,685 books! | Top bar: Always visible