Sold by Patricia McCormick

Sold (edition 2008)

by Patricia McCormick

Authors:Patricia McCormick
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Edition: Advanced Reading Copy (ARC), Paperback, 263 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, Prostitution, Slavery, Sex Trafficking

Sold by Patricia McCormick

Robbed of Humanity: Lives of Guatemalan Street Children by Nancy Leigh Tierney (meggyweg)
    I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali (dara85)
    Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton (AspiringAshley)
    AspiringAshley: Both are realistic pieces of fiction that pull you into the world of a young girl and open your eyes to a far different life than you can imagine. You will be grateful for your own life, and motivated to take a stand on the side of justice.
    Trafficked by Kim Purcell (kaledrina)
    A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books explore the same theme - sex trafficking of teens in Southeast Asia.
    Karma by Cathy Ostlere (kaledrina)
    Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America by Francis Bok (meggyweg)
    Tricks by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)

English (144)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (146)
Sold was fast paced and captivating. Each page threw an emotional punch that wrecked havoc on an innocent girl's life...

The book was heartbreaking and tragic. It was about a young girl that was sold to the nasty brothel biz. She was lied to, beat, scolded, raped, drugged, and shamed. Her sliver of hope dwindled each night she was bought... It was a terrible, horrific tale about how sick and twisted our world can be. To know that these things happen every day just made it that much worse. My stomach rolled and my throat tightened. It was truly horrifying. I honestly wanted to jump in the book, search the dirty streets, and save all of the sweet souls that were being held captive.

Why didn't it get 5 stars? Well there were two things that made me feel conflicted.... #1 the verse style. While it works for some, with this one it didn't. #2 I felt there could have been more detail. Many parts just grazed the surface when I wanted to dive deeper. Even with those things though I still recommend it to readers looking for an intense read about ugly truths. ( )
  ReadersCandyb | Oct 7, 2016 |
A young girl leaves a remote Nepalese village after being promised a job as a maid in India, but is trafficked to a brothel. Her story is unforgettable. ( )
  poetreegirl | Aug 18, 2016 |
Sad, but very good. ( )
  KnivesBoone | Jul 29, 2016 |
Although not a pleasant topic, "Sold" is a powerful book and beautifully written with its sparse, but lyrical language. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 4, 2016 |
Difficult story of a girl sold into sexual slavery. ( )
  debs913 | Apr 2, 2016 |
For Paul
One more rainy season and our roof will be gone, says Ama.

Thirteen-year-old Lakshmi leaves her poor mountain home in Nepal thinking that she is to work in the city as a maid only to find that she has been sold into the sex slave trade in India and that there is no hope of escape.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,735,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible