Sold by Patricia McCormick

by Patricia McCormick

Member:littleton_pace
Title:Sold
Authors:Patricia McCormick
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Edition: Advanced Reading Copy (ARC), Paperback, 263 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, Prostitution, Slavery, Sex Trafficking

Sold by Patricia McCormick

Robbed of Humanity: Lives of Guatemalan Street Children by Nancy Leigh Tierney (meggyweg)
    I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali (dara85)
    Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton (AspiringAshley)
    AspiringAshley: Both are realistic pieces of fiction that pull you into the world of a young girl and open your eyes to a far different life than you can imagine. You will be grateful for your own life, and motivated to take a stand on the side of justice.
    Trafficked by Kim Purcell (kaledrina)
    A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books explore the same theme - sex trafficking of teens in Southeast Asia.
    Karma by Cathy Ostlere (kaledrina)
    Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America by Francis Bok (meggyweg)
    Tricks by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)

English (126)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (128)
A heart breaking story, I thought it was going to be a non-fiction book with facts and stats. Instead it is this incredible story of a 13 year old girl. More people should read this book. I know I am late to the book but so good and so sad. ( )
  shazjhb | Sep 7, 2014 |
Patricia McCormick’s Sold was a nominee for the National Book award and made ALA’s Top Ten Best Books for Young Adults. Clearly, it was pretty popular and received much praise. Sadly, though, I did not enjoy it, either in print or on audio. I first read it in grad school for young adult services class and just reread it. While I do see the book’s many merits and take no issue with the book’s critical success, it’s one of those that doesn’t work for me.

To start with, I have to point out what I think should be obvious: I’m glad this is a story that’s being told. McCormick’s drawing attention to one of the scariest facts of life. In Sold, thirteen-year-old Lakshmi is sold by her stepfather into a life of prostitution. Her life consists of misery after misery. She falls into a severe depression, her tone seeming that of a much older person, someone having lost all hope, when she’s only fourteen. While her story is fictional, many girls in the world are living something very similar. These stories need to be told.

Because I love the concept and the message so much, I really wish I loved the book. However, something about it really does not resonate with me. Lakshmi’s narrative voice might be right on point, but I don’t find her especially compelling. Frankly, I spent a lot of time on both reads bored. The writing’s also a more simplistic style than I personally enjoy. Both of these things are subjective, and McCormick surely made the right call based on the reception of the book by everyone else I know who’s read it, but no book fits every reader and I’m not the right one for this particular book.

This time around, I had an additional struggle with Sold. Namely, the audiobook is narrated by Justine Eyre. Though I do find Eyre to be quite a skilled audiobook narrator, I find the casting of her for Lakshmi quite upsetting. Eyre is Canadian, and part Kiwi. What she’s not is Nepalese or even remotely from that same region of the world. It may be that it really is that difficult to find audiobook narrators that aren’t white, but shouldn’t that just lead to a search for them? Surely there are people who would like jobs. I’m sure the makers of the audiobook didn’t mean any harm, but to me hiring a white woman to perform the role of a Nepalese girl, while doing a stereotypical accent, is whitewashing.

What it comes down to is that I think Sold is a great book for a different kind of reader, and I wouldn’t want to put anyone off of reading it. However, I would suggest not going with the audio if you’re also bothered by the casting. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Aug 21, 2014 |
I randomly picked up this book because the title and cover page captured my eye.

Wow! I read this in 1 day and I enjoyed the story so much.

The chapters might be short but some of them are sort of poetic and are able to convey various emotions and actions with a few simple and short words. Not a lot of authors are able to write a story without putting in a lot of fillers and words that do not convey what they truly mean.

Human trafficking and child prostitution are huge problems in a lot of countries. This was quite the portrayal from one girl's point of view of the horrific conditions that some children go through on a daily basis. This book was haunting, hopeful and heartbreaking all at once.

Overall, definitely give this book a shot. But beware, you might get emotional while reading it. ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |
Such a sad book but one I think people need to read. It's upsetting to know that people sell their children to the sex trade in India in order to have money to survive. Not sure if I would share this book at the elementary level but definitely middle and high school. Adults needs to read this too. ( )
  Renee.Brandon | Jul 5, 2014 |
Thirteen year old Lakshmi lives in a very rural mountain community in Nepal with her mother (ama), her baby brother, and her stepfather. The women do all the work, and the useless stepfather gambles away the tiny amount of money they have to live on, and yet Lakshmi's ama still tells her how grateful they should be that he took them in after her father died. Lakshmi's ama wants her to continue to go to school, where she is a top student, and she is betrothed to a young goat herder. Desperation finally convinces her ama to allow her to go the city and work as a maid, just as her friend Gita has done. Instead, her stepfather sells her, and she is shocked after she is brought to India that she is going to be a prostitute instead of a maid. She survives the greed, ugliness, and lies of this new life to finally see a chance of rescue by Americans if she can take the huge leap of faith in trusting they will rescue her instead of humiliate her. Written in a poetic style. Sad book, hard to read how poorly the women are treated. The author did some research on this subject and visited Calcutta, India. She includes some author notes at the end of the book about the very real problem of children who are forced to become sex slaves. Issue to be aware of: somewhat graphic rape scene. ( )
  michellebarton | Jul 1, 2014 |
For Paul
One more rainy season and our roof will be gone, says Ama.

Thirteen-year-old Lakshmi leaves her poor mountain home in Nepal thinking that she is to work in the city as a maid only to find that she has been sold into the sex slave trade in India and that there is no hope of escape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,702,510 books! | Top bar: Always visible