Sold by Patricia McCormick

by Patricia McCormick

Member:littleton_pace
Title:Sold
Authors:Patricia McCormick
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Edition: Advanced Reading Copy (ARC), Paperback, 263 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, Prostitution, Slavery, Sex Trafficking

Sold by Patricia McCormick

Robbed of Humanity: Lives of Guatemalan Street Children by Nancy Leigh Tierney (meggyweg)
    I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali (dara85)
    Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton (AspiringAshley)
    AspiringAshley: Both are realistic pieces of fiction that pull you into the world of a young girl and open your eyes to a far different life than you can imagine. You will be grateful for your own life, and motivated to take a stand on the side of justice.
    Trafficked by Kim Purcell (kaledrina)
    A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books explore the same theme - sex trafficking of teens in Southeast Asia.
    Karma by Cathy Ostlere (kaledrina)
    Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America by Francis Bok (meggyweg)
    Tricks by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)

English (129)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (131)
This story was fascinating and heartbreaking story of a young women that is sold into the sex trade. It was not an easy read but one that I think people should read in order to understand what happens outside (and often within) our borders. This novel is not overly graphic, but it is disturbing enough that I would hesitate to read it in class. However, I very much think that libraries should have this novel and recommend students to read it. "Sold" is the type of novel that stays with you long after you read it, a thing that very few novels are able to do. ( )
  erikmurri | Mar 2, 2015 |
This is a great book. The writing style makes it a really fast moving book. Each chapter is very short. The story itself is intriguing (although a bit depressing). ( )
  KamGeb | Nov 29, 2014 |
Even though this is a fictionalized account, it is very disheartening to know that a story like this can happen today. While it is a short listen, it is a very heavy story, and very well-done. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Oct 11, 2014 |
Story of a 13 year old in India sold into sexual slavery. I read because it was listed as a highschool recommended book - yet was on a list to be banned by a local school. I would recommend to an adult book club but felt the same story could be told for hs without quite the graphics. ( )
  MargaretdeBuhr | Sep 23, 2014 |
A heart breaking story, I thought it was going to be a non-fiction book with facts and stats. Instead it is this incredible story of a 13 year old girl. More people should read this book. I know I am late to the book but so good and so sad. ( )
  shazjhb | Sep 7, 2014 |
For Paul
One more rainy season and our roof will be gone, says Ama.

Thirteen-year-old Lakshmi leaves her poor mountain home in Nepal thinking that she is to work in the city as a maid only to find that she has been sold into the sex slave trade in India and that there is no hope of escape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,231,879 books! | Top bar: Always visible