Sold by Patricia McCormick

by Patricia McCormick

Member:littleton_pace
Title:Sold
Authors:Patricia McCormick
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Edition: Advanced Reading Copy (ARC), Paperback, 263 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, Prostitution, Slavery, Sex Trafficking

Sold by Patricia McCormick

Robbed of Humanity: Lives of Guatemalan Street Children by Nancy Leigh Tierney (meggyweg)
    I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali (dara85)
    Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton (AspiringAshley)
    AspiringAshley: Both are realistic pieces of fiction that pull you into the world of a young girl and open your eyes to a far different life than you can imagine. You will be grateful for your own life, and motivated to take a stand on the side of justice.
    Trafficked by Kim Purcell (kaledrina)
    A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books explore the same theme - sex trafficking of teens in Southeast Asia.
    Karma by Cathy Ostlere (kaledrina)
    Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America by Francis Bok (meggyweg)
    Tricks by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)

English (133)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (135)
Disturbing, engaging, and totally informative. Highly recommended! ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 14, 2015 |
I liked the poetic style in which this book was written and it was a quick read that drew me in. I can't really say that books about sex trafficking in nepal are enjoyable, it was actually pretty painful and depressing. but life can be painful and depressing, and i'm glad i read the book because the issues are very real and something that needs to be paid attention to. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
Don't read this when you're out in public. ( )
  EuronerdLibrarian | May 18, 2015 |
After reading this novel, it does not surprise me that it won so many awards. Told in sparse language, in a poem-like format, the reader follows Lakshmi for her poor village to the rooms of a brothel. Her heart break, her confusion and hurt, her hope and despair - it displayed in such a way the reader become Lakshmi, and feels what she feels. A powerful work, one worth reading. I most certainly recommend. ( )
  empress8411 | Apr 19, 2015 |
This story was fascinating and heartbreaking story of a young women that is sold into the sex trade. It was not an easy read but one that I think people should read in order to understand what happens outside (and often within) our borders. This novel is not overly graphic, but it is disturbing enough that I would hesitate to read it in class. However, I very much think that libraries should have this novel and recommend students to read it. "Sold" is the type of novel that stays with you long after you read it, a thing that very few novels are able to do. ( )
  erikmurri | Mar 2, 2015 |
For Paul
One more rainy season and our roof will be gone, says Ama.

Thirteen-year-old Lakshmi leaves her poor mountain home in Nepal thinking that she is to work in the city as a maid only to find that she has been sold into the sex slave trade in India and that there is no hope of escape.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,101,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible