Sold by Patricia McCormick

by Patricia McCormick

Member:littleton_pace
Title:Sold
Authors:Patricia McCormick
Info:Hyperion Book CH (2008), Edition: Advanced Reading Copy (ARC), Paperback, 263 pages
Tags:Read in 2012, Prostitution, Slavery, Sex Trafficking

Sold by Patricia McCormick

Robbed of Humanity: Lives of Guatemalan Street Children by Nancy Leigh Tierney (meggyweg)
    I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced by Nujood Ali (dara85)
    Chanda's Secrets by Allan Stratton (AspiringAshley)
    AspiringAshley: Both are realistic pieces of fiction that pull you into the world of a young girl and open your eyes to a far different life than you can imagine. You will be grateful for your own life, and motivated to take a stand on the side of justice.
    Trafficked by Kim Purcell (kaledrina)
    A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison (bookwoman247)
    bookwoman247: Both books explore the same theme - sex trafficking of teens in Southeast Asia.
    Karma by Cathy Ostlere (kaledrina)
    Escape from Slavery: The True Story of My Ten Years in Captivity and My Journey to Freedom in America by Francis Bok (meggyweg)
    Tricks by Ellen Hopkins (meggyweg)

English (128)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (130)
Even though this is a fictionalized account, it is very disheartening to know that a story like this can happen today. While it is a short listen, it is a very heavy story, and very well-done. ( )
  bookwyrmm | Oct 11, 2014 |
Story of a 13 year old in India sold into sexual slavery. I read because it was listed as a highschool recommended book - yet was on a list to be banned by a local school. I would recommend to an adult book club but felt the same story could be told for hs without quite the graphics. ( )
  MargaretdeBuhr | Sep 23, 2014 |
A heart breaking story, I thought it was going to be a non-fiction book with facts and stats. Instead it is this incredible story of a 13 year old girl. More people should read this book. I know I am late to the book but so good and so sad. ( )
  shazjhb | Sep 7, 2014 |
Patricia McCormick’s Sold was a nominee for the National Book award and made ALA’s Top Ten Best Books for Young Adults. Clearly, it was pretty popular and received much praise. Sadly, though, I did not enjoy it, either in print or on audio. I first read it in grad school for young adult services class and just reread it. While I do see the book’s many merits and take no issue with the book’s critical success, it’s one of those that doesn’t work for me.

To start with, I have to point out what I think should be obvious: I’m glad this is a story that’s being told. McCormick’s drawing attention to one of the scariest facts of life. In Sold, thirteen-year-old Lakshmi is sold by her stepfather into a life of prostitution. Her life consists of misery after misery. She falls into a severe depression, her tone seeming that of a much older person, someone having lost all hope, when she’s only fourteen. While her story is fictional, many girls in the world are living something very similar. These stories need to be told.

Because I love the concept and the message so much, I really wish I loved the book. However, something about it really does not resonate with me. Lakshmi’s narrative voice might be right on point, but I don’t find her especially compelling. Frankly, I spent a lot of time on both reads bored. The writing’s also a more simplistic style than I personally enjoy. Both of these things are subjective, and McCormick surely made the right call based on the reception of the book by everyone else I know who’s read it, but no book fits every reader and I’m not the right one for this particular book.

This time around, I had an additional struggle with Sold. Namely, the audiobook is narrated by Justine Eyre. Though I do find Eyre to be quite a skilled audiobook narrator, I find the casting of her for Lakshmi quite upsetting. Eyre is Canadian, and part Kiwi. What she’s not is Nepalese or even remotely from that same region of the world. It may be that it really is that difficult to find audiobook narrators that aren’t white, but shouldn’t that just lead to a search for them? Surely there are people who would like jobs. I’m sure the makers of the audiobook didn’t mean any harm, but to me hiring a white woman to perform the role of a Nepalese girl, while doing a stereotypical accent, is whitewashing.

What it comes down to is that I think Sold is a great book for a different kind of reader, and I wouldn’t want to put anyone off of reading it. However, I would suggest not going with the audio if you’re also bothered by the casting. ( )
  A_Reader_of_Fictions | Aug 21, 2014 |
I randomly picked up this book because the title and cover page captured my eye.

Wow! I read this in 1 day and I enjoyed the story so much.

The chapters might be short but some of them are sort of poetic and are able to convey various emotions and actions with a few simple and short words. Not a lot of authors are able to write a story without putting in a lot of fillers and words that do not convey what they truly mean.

Human trafficking and child prostitution are huge problems in a lot of countries. This was quite the portrayal from one girl's point of view of the horrific conditions that some children go through on a daily basis. This book was haunting, hopeful and heartbreaking all at once.

Overall, definitely give this book a shot. But beware, you might get emotional while reading it. ( )
  Dream24 | Aug 21, 2014 |
For Paul
One more rainy season and our roof will be gone, says Ama.

Thirteen-year-old Lakshmi leaves her poor mountain home in Nepal thinking that she is to work in the city as a maid only to find that she has been sold into the sex slave trade in India and that there is no hope of escape.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,914,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible