My Life as a Book by Janet Tashjian

My Life as a Book (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Janet Tashjian, Jake Tashjian (Illustrator)

Title:My Life as a Book
Authors:Janet Tashjian
Other authors:Jake Tashjian (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:J Books (grades 4-6)
Tags:Boy Book, Mixed Format, Reading Dislike Of, Read Like: Diary of a Wimpy Kid

My Life as a Book by Janet Tashjian (2010)

This was a quick read for me, but I think it would be an interesting read for younger kids who might not enjoy reading as much as I do. Derek is twelve years old, and hates reading and school. When summer comes, he’s excited to have time to relax, do nothing, and goof around. Instead, his teacher assigns required reading, and his parents sign him up for Learning Camp. Derek finds ways to enjoy learning his vocabulary words, and even reads a book and does a book report for the next school year. This book is fiction, but has great ideas on how to get kids (I don’t want to say it’s just for boys) to enjoy reading and expand their horizons about making friends. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
Brand new
  cassierunyon | Jun 25, 2014 |
I rate this book 2 stars because it was very very boring. It was about a boy struggling through his summer holiday...... So what? I don't know but in my opinion it is a very boring book. ( )
  a_neon_minion | Nov 25, 2013 |
Part mystery, part adventure, part comedy, as a mischievous twelve-year old boy struggles through his summer reading assignments. ( )
  JMBridger | Aug 25, 2013 |
A reluctant reader discovers the importance of stories. The illustrations, layout, and narrative of this story are obviously a nod to the Winpy Kid series and fans of those books should enjoy this one. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
For Bill Watterson

This story seems to me like the perfect story for a disgruntled reader.  A reader who is resistant to reading.  Young Derek Fallon seems to be getting into trouble left and right.  Above all else, he hates reading.  I mean he really hates it.  The story mentions how his parents bribe him to read.  This for that, but this semi-first person voice of Derek, knows all the wiser.  Instead, he takes in an interest of reading that involves only his interests and that is solving a mystery.  Along the way, he explains his passion of illustrating, taking after his father, who is an illustrator.
I am in no way a Doctor, but the whole way through the book, I felt as though young Derek was very impulsive and needed a constant stream of action in his life to keep him happy.  The book moves in that sort of pace as well.  Fast thoughts and fact action onto the next action and then the next...  I moved a little too fast for me.  Almost to the point that my head began to spin.  But it can sure keep things interesting.  This is why this book would be perfect for a child with a particularly short attention span.  Overall, its a good book for a young reader in grades 3-5 who need constant adventure and humor.  The side illustrations by the authors son add a humorous addition to the book, making it that much more enjoyable.  Check out Ms. Tashjian's website:http://janettashjian.com/mylifeasaboo...

Summer’s finally here, and Derek Fallon is looking forward to pelting the UPS truck with water balloons, climbing onto the garage roof, and conducting silly investigations. But when his parents decide to send him to Learning Camp, Derek’s dreams of fun come to an end. Ever since he’s been labeled a “reluctant reader,” his mom has pushed him to read “real” books—something other than his beloved Calvin & Hobbes.

As Derek forges unexpected friendships and uncovers a family secret involving himself (in diapers! no less), he realizes that adventures and surprises are around the corner, complete with curve balls.

My Life as a Book is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

Dubbed a "reluctant reader" by his teacher, twelve-year-old Derek spends summer vacation learning important lessons even though he does not complete his summer reading list.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,893,839 books! | Top bar: Always visible