My Life as a Book by Janet Tashjian

My Life as a Book (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Janet Tashjian, Jake Tashjian (Illustrator)

Member:EBurggraf
Title:My Life as a Book
Authors:Janet Tashjian
Other authors:Jake Tashjian (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:J Books (grades 4-6)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Boy Book, Mixed Format, Reading Dislike Of, Read Like: Diary of a Wimpy Kid

My Life as a Book by Janet Tashjian (2010)

I read this book to my 9-year old son. He enjoyed it and asked immediately for the sequel. It's about a boy named Derek who would rather do almost anything than read a book (especially during the summer). He ends up finding stories everywhere, starting in his own attic. He finds a 10-year old newspaper clipping about a teenage girl who drowned on Martha's Vineyard. Investigating this story leads him to find out things about himself and his past. ( )
  Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
Derek is a reluctant reader who really does not want to tackle the assigned summer reading from his teacher, even though his mother bribes him with two chocolate chips per each page read. Instead, he spends his summer intrigued by a story that he discovers in an old newspaper in the attic, an incident that involved him when he was two years old. His technique of sketching the definitions of new vocabulary words may inspire other kids to try the same, and it's a nice touch that he recognizes that stories are a part of our lives (thus the title). ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Pretty simple. If you like the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series, then you'll enjoy this book too. It's not as picture reliant or intensive as the Diary series. Instead it has doodles and scribbles of various words or actions within the margins. This is a good intermediate step for someone trying to ween a reader off of the Diary series or for someone desperate for more like it. I like that the doodles help develop the book's vocabulary. Very clever and a quick read. ( )
  RalphLagana | Jan 23, 2016 |
Title: My Life As A Book Author:Janet Tashjian
I give this book three stars

The main character is Derek Fallon a young boy. The story is mainly about what happens to him in the summer and what his hobbies are. Derek likes to throw water balloons climbing into garbage cans. But his parents sends him learning camp, all of his summer plans and dreams are ruinen. His mom forces him to read harder books. after all Derek has fun at camp he found out a family secret and made a ton of new friends and memories! I think this is a good book to read when you have spare time it has a great sense of humor!
  Abbey_hadley801 | Dec 15, 2015 |
This was a quick read for me, but I think it would be an interesting read for younger kids who might not enjoy reading as much as I do. Derek is twelve years old, and hates reading and school. When summer comes, he’s excited to have time to relax, do nothing, and goof around. Instead, his teacher assigns required reading, and his parents sign him up for Learning Camp. Derek finds ways to enjoy learning his vocabulary words, and even reads a book and does a book report for the next school year. This book is fiction, but has great ideas on how to get kids (I don’t want to say it’s just for boys) to enjoy reading and expand their horizons about making friends. ( )
  howifeelaboutbooks | Nov 4, 2015 |
For Bill Watterson
"I DON'T WANT TO READ THIS BOOK!"

This story seems to me like the perfect story for a disgruntled reader.  A reader who is resistant to reading.  Young Derek Fallon seems to be getting into trouble left and right.  Above all else, he hates reading.  I mean he really hates it.  The story mentions how his parents bribe him to read.  This for that, but this semi-first person voice of Derek, knows all the wiser.  Instead, he takes in an interest of reading that involves only his interests and that is solving a mystery.  Along the way, he explains his passion of illustrating, taking after his father, who is an illustrator.
I am in no way a Doctor, but the whole way through the book, I felt as though young Derek was very impulsive and needed a constant stream of action in his life to keep him happy.  The book moves in that sort of pace as well.  Fast thoughts and fact action onto the next action and then the next...  I moved a little too fast for me.  Almost to the point that my head began to spin.  But it can sure keep things interesting.  This is why this book would be perfect for a child with a particularly short attention span.  Overall, its a good book for a young reader in grades 3-5 who need constant adventure and humor.  The side illustrations by the authors son add a humorous addition to the book, making it that much more enjoyable.  Check out Ms. Tashjian's website:http://janettashjian.com/mylifeasaboo...

Summer’s finally here, and Derek Fallon is looking forward to pelting the UPS truck with water balloons, climbing onto the garage roof, and conducting silly investigations. But when his parents decide to send him to Learning Camp, Derek’s dreams of fun come to an end. Ever since he’s been labeled a “reluctant reader,” his mom has pushed him to read “real” books—something other than his beloved Calvin & Hobbes.

As Derek forges unexpected friendships and uncovers a family secret involving himself (in diapers! no less), he realizes that adventures and surprises are around the corner, complete with curve balls.

My Life as a Book is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:41 -0400)

Dubbed a "reluctant reader" by his teacher, twelve-year-old Derek spends summer vacation learning important lessons even though he does not complete his summer reading list.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,627,811 books! | Top bar: Always visible