My Life as a Book by Janet Tashjian

My Life as a Book (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Janet Tashjian, Jake Tashjian (Illustrator)

3462031,609 (3.79)1
Member:EBurggraf
Title:My Life as a Book
Authors:Janet Tashjian
Other authors:Jake Tashjian (Illustrator)
Info:Henry Holt and Co. (BYR) (2010), Edition: First Edition, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:J Books (grades 4-6)
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Boy Book, Mixed Format, Reading Dislike Of, Read Like: Diary of a Wimpy Kid

My Life as a Book by Janet Tashjian (2010)

Brand new
  cassierunyon | Jun 25, 2014 |
I rate this book 2 stars because it was very very boring. It was about a boy struggling through his summer holiday...... So what? I don't know but in my opinion it is a very boring book. ( )
  a_neon_minion | Nov 25, 2013 |
Part mystery, part adventure, part comedy, as a mischievous twelve-year old boy struggles through his summer reading assignments. ( )
  JMBridger | Aug 25, 2013 |
A reluctant reader discovers the importance of stories. The illustrations, layout, and narrative of this story are obviously a nod to the Winpy Kid series and fans of those books should enjoy this one. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
Characters: Derek Fallon; Jeremy Fallon, Derek’s dad; Lauren Hutchins; Matt, Derek’s friend; Carly, the teacher’s pet and Derek’s friend; Susan James, the girl who drowned.

Setting: Venice, CA; Martha’s Vineyard; Boston

Theme: Stories help us learn more about ourselves, and they help us heal. Sometimes it takes us a while to figure out what we’re really good at.

Genre: Children’s humorous fiction; realistic fiction

Golden quote: “Maybe evolving is what were’ supposed to do—all of us, all the time.” “I learned a few other things this summer…that we all mess up sometimes and struggle with things that are difficult. That even if reading is hard, everyone needs stories. I didn’t want to read the books on the list, but I wound up surrounded by stories anyway—a heroic dog, a brave monkey who learned to help an even braver boy, a girl who drowned, and the friend she left behind.”

Audience: Children ages 8-11.

Curriculum ties: Geography—find the locations in the book using a map; ELA—students can follow Derek’s example, and draw pictures for each of their vocabulary words; students could also write their own stories of their summer vacation, using a comic arts format.

Awards: Starred Review—Booklist.

Personal response: I was pleasantly surprised by the sophistication of this story, in spite of its seeming simplicity. The main character transforms from an out-of-control kid who mostly just thinks about himself, to one who is more considerate of others and who learns to empathize and accept those who are different than him. He also learns to appreciate his own unique talents—especially the drawing talents he realizes he has. This is a great book for a reluctant reader because the main character is also a reluctant reader who learns the importance of stories and who learns real reading skills that help him enjoy reading. It has a mystery to unravel, as the main character seeks the truth about the young woman who drowned when he was just a toddler. The humor in the story is sweet and boys like Derek (reluctant readers) will relate to the character and enjoy his antics, and they will benefit from his illustrated vocabulary definitions. ( )
  salps | Mar 16, 2013 |
For Bill Watterson
"I DON'T WANT TO READ THIS BOOK!"

This story seems to me like the perfect story for a disgruntled reader.  A reader who is resistant to reading.  Young Derek Fallon seems to be getting into trouble left and right.  Above all else, he hates reading.  I mean he really hates it.  The story mentions how his parents bribe him to read.  This for that, but this semi-first person voice of Derek, knows all the wiser.  Instead, he takes in an interest of reading that involves only his interests and that is solving a mystery.  Along the way, he explains his passion of illustrating, taking after his father, who is an illustrator.
I am in no way a Doctor, but the whole way through the book, I felt as though young Derek was very impulsive and needed a constant stream of action in his life to keep him happy.  The book moves in that sort of pace as well.  Fast thoughts and fact action onto the next action and then the next...  I moved a little too fast for me.  Almost to the point that my head began to spin.  But it can sure keep things interesting.  This is why this book would be perfect for a child with a particularly short attention span.  Overall, its a good book for a young reader in grades 3-5 who need constant adventure and humor.  The side illustrations by the authors son add a humorous addition to the book, making it that much more enjoyable.  Check out Ms. Tashjian's website:http://janettashjian.com/mylifeasaboo...

Summer’s finally here, and Derek Fallon is looking forward to pelting the UPS truck with water balloons, climbing onto the garage roof, and conducting silly investigations. But when his parents decide to send him to Learning Camp, Derek’s dreams of fun come to an end. Ever since he’s been labeled a “reluctant reader,” his mom has pushed him to read “real” books—something other than his beloved Calvin & Hobbes.

As Derek forges unexpected friendships and uncovers a family secret involving himself (in diapers! no less), he realizes that adventures and surprises are around the corner, complete with curve balls.

My Life as a Book is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:29 -0400)

Dubbed a "reluctant reader" by his teacher, twelve-year-old Derek spends summer vacation learning important lessons even though he does not complete his summer reading list.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,976,289 books! | Top bar: Always visible