Ophelia by Lisa Klein

Ophelia (original 2006; edition 2006)

by Lisa Klein

Member:matociquala
Title:Ophelia
Authors:Lisa Klein
Info:Bloomsbury USA Children's Books (2006), Hardcover
Collections:Your library, To read
Tags:arc, tbr, ya, shakespeare

Ophelia by Lisa Klein (2006)

Shylock's Daughter by Mirjam Pressler (joririchardson)
    joririchardson: Both are alternate versions of Shakespeare.

This book disappointed me so much because it started so good. Heart-pounding good. The writing was stunning, lyrical. It took Shakespeare's voice and translated it into something modern, something raw and real. The writing was s t u n n i n g...

Well listen here friends, after the first half of the book it turned terrible. Like no plot, characters were just abandoned and it was a miserable time. I'm not sure how Hamlet works since I've never read it, and don't know if maybe that's part of the plot, but this sure wasn't good.

It gave me something to read on the airplane, but other than that, I really wouldn't read again or recommend. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
I really enjoyed reading this especially since in high school I loved the play Hamlet. Klein fills in all the holes that could never be filled in a play. Her story seemed believable and pieced together the story of Ophelia and Hamlet so well I pretty much thought I was reading Shakespeare. The only thing keeping me from giving this book 5 stars is the last part of the book got really boring for me. I wasn't interested in that part of Ophelia's life and felt it wasn't really needed. If the whole part 3 was chopped and the epilogue was bumped up, I would have totally been head over heels for this book. I would recommend this book for anyone who loves Shakespeare and who maybe wants to know more about Ophelia. I also loved the twists the story had and the ending. I found myself surprised who I wanted Ophelia to be with. ( )
  IntrovertedBooks | Mar 26, 2018 |
3 1/2 stars ( )
  captainbooknerd | Jan 11, 2018 |
Ophelia by Lisa Klein is a YA retelling of Hamlet and is told in the voice of Ophelia. The original storyline has been changed in order to accommodate this plot, so in this version Ophelia doesn’t go insane nor does she die but instead fakes her death and leaves Denmark for the refuge of a convent in France.

Ophelia takes us through her life from her early childhood as a tomboy to her days in Elsinore Castle as an attendant to Queen Gertrude and she describes how her childhood friendship becomes an attraction turning into eventual love for Prince Hamlet. In this book they marry in secret, but his madness, brought on by the death of his father, ends their relationship and Hamlet turns his back on Ophelia, directly her to take herself off to a nunnery. Luckily Horatio, who cares very deeply for Ophelia, helps her escape Denmark when she is both in danger from the king and finds she is going to have Hamlet’s child. She has the child in secret, and realizes that it was Horatio who was the better man all the time.

An interesting story but unfortunately the author succumbed to one of my pet peeves in historical fiction, that of giving her lead female character modern sensibilities which made the story feel very false to me. Many of the characters were poorly defined, perhaps the worst one was Hamlet who came across very one dimensional. Ultimately this effort fell short of the mark, and as much as I realize that I am not the target audience for this book, putting a happy ending on a story that was meant to be a tragedy just felt wrong. ( )
  DeltaQueen50 | Sep 27, 2017 |
An interpretation of Hamlet, with the focus on Ophelia’s point of view. Ophelia falls in love with Hamlet, losing her virginity with him. But when Hamlet’s father is murdered and his mother marries Claudius, a madness bent on revenge takes over Hamlet. Ophelia suspects she may be pregnant and the danger she is now in if Claudius finds out there is an heir and a threat to his throne and power. She escapes to a nunnery and lives there in relative safety and obscurity although she hides her past from the nuns. She is accepted as a healer and physician even after she reveals the baby is Hamlet’s. Horatio appears at book’s end searching for Ophelia to whom he has been loyal and protective all this time.
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |

Was inspired by

To my parents, Jerry and Mary Klein
My lady: I pray this letter finds you in a place of safety.

In a story based on Shakespeare's Hamlet, Ophelia tells of her life in the court at Elsinore, her love for Prince Hamlet, and her escape from the violence in Denmark.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,517,304 books! | Top bar: Always visible