The Barrio Kings (Rapid Reads) by William…

The Barrio Kings (Rapid Reads) (edition 2010)

by William Kowalski

Member:re_re_98
Title:The Barrio Kings (Rapid Reads)
Authors:William Kowalski
Info:Orca Book Publishers (2010), Paperback, 125 pages
Tags:TBR

The Barrio Kings by William Kowalski

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Well, it certainly was a quick read! I found at times, however, the story was difficult to really get into. I don't know if it was the fact that it was such a condensed book or if it was very simple language and sentences that made it so hard for me. I understood that this book was probably for young adults, but I felt the reading was below that. It read too much like an old school Dick and Jane book to me. The book would be great for an older child just learning to read (maybe didn't have the opportunity, or maybe even someone like the main character in the book?). ( )
  elleayess | Mar 30, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Loved the book, both content wise as well as it's length. Great for a quick afternoon read. I figured due to it's size, that the author wouldn't have ample time to build the characters and to get very in depth into the story. But....I was wrong! Highly recommended expecially for teens or young adults. ( )
  re_re_98 | Aug 6, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm afraid I won't do this book review justice. The Youth Department in our church is small and made up of primarily of Latinos. Three of them have girl friends who are expecting babies. I don't know if any to them are in, or have been in, gangs but I felt a kinship with this book.

The author told it like it is. It is hard to break away from old habits, especially if you don't have money or friends who encourage you. Rosario did have a good boss who realized Rosario's potential and encouraged him to get his GED.

All's well that ends well, and I wish every young man could break away like Rosario did.

I heartily recommend this book. ( )
  rphalliburton | Jul 26, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is truly a Rapid Reads book, but this also makes it appealing for a beach, or summer read. At first, I was sure I wasn't going to like this book, but the author pulled me in right away. I expected violence, which is a turn off for me, but the way everything was written, I found myself reading until the end of the book, just to see what the outcome would be. When Rosario Gomez gave up his gang friends to become a father and husband, his gang member friend started to try to pull him back in. This novel shows how allegiances are formed and how hard they are to be let go of. And also, how instrumental one bad apple will try to pull another back in, rather than change into a better life for himself. Good insight into the thinking of gang members and they influence they wield. I highly recommend this book to young people and anyone that is around gang life. Which is everybody, because criminals affect everyone. Pass this book on as a gift to any young person you know; get them to thinking about their future. This book will guide them as to the difficulity of making good decisions, but that it can be done.. ( )
  bakersfieldbarbara | Jul 6, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
A wonderfully quick little read, The Barrio Kings was truly a great story. The characters were well developed and the story was totally believable. I cared about Rosie and Connie. I wanted them to succeed in making a better life for themselves. And they did! Mr. Kowalski succeeded in putting together very few words to create a very full story, and I hope to read more of his work in the future. I will be passing this book along for others to enjoy. ( )
  picnicgal | Jun 30, 2010 |
My name is Rosario Gomez.

Rosario Gomez gave up gang life after his brother was killed in a street fight. Now all he wants to do is finish night school, be a good father and work hard enough at his job at the supermarket to get promoted. But when an old friend shows up to ask him why he left the gang, Rosario realizes he was fooling himself if he thought his violent past would just go away. When his pregnant girlfriend is hit in a drive-by shooting, Rosario has to make some hard choices. Revenge means a return to his old ways, something he swore he would never do. But unless he takes action, his enemies will not rest until they've settled the score against him.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

William Kowalski's book The Barrio Kings was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,487,722 books! | Top bar: Always visible