The Chocolate Pirate Plot: A Chocoholic…

The Chocolate Pirate Plot: A Chocoholic Mystery (edition 2010)

by JoAnna Carl

Member:RhondaReed
Title:The Chocolate Pirate Plot: A Chocoholic Mystery
Authors:JoAnna Carl
Info:NAL Hardcover (2010), Hardcover, 240 pages
Rating:***
Tags:mystery, chocoholic mystery, culinary

The Chocolate Pirate Plot by JoAnna Carl

Chocolate is always good, but the plot was obvious! Nice, quick, EASY whodunit. ( )
  KarenRinn | Nov 2, 2013 |
It's nice to rate a cozy mystery 3 stars. I've had slim pickings lately, plus I'm not a generous rater. Though the cozy mystery is my favorite genre, and though I do like to read them from cover to cover, they lack the brilliance of a real puzzler. Most of the struggle the amateur detective goes through is because he or in this case, she, is ahead of the police because of chance or due to being singled out for endangerment. All of that is true here.

Nevertheless, my favorite minor characters are back, though as usual they do not appear in the end. Well if they had I'd have given this book one more point. Brenda especially has ample time to shine. The nondescript Lindy and her family are not here to mar the fun. Hogan gets a taste of the action. He's okay in my book. It was thrilling when Lee suddenly announced that she'd solved everything. It was an intense moment in the book, and had the solution been brilliant then it would have bowled me over. The truth is that I had a stab at who the guilty were and my guesses were right. Both times. I even hazarded mentally that such and such person had invented a character for his purposes. So yeah, the epiphany of Lee was still welcome. It happens rarely in a mundane lifetime. It happened thrice to me in my life. The moment when a light bursts into your mind with the wattage of a supernova. Look at me, I'm waxing lyrical.

This has surely to do with my reluctance to leave this series. How come discworld contains 38 books and I have only 11 Joanna Carl books at my disposal. Joanna Carl is a pseudonym but whatever, she's the author, and she's old. At 77 years, I'm amazed at her creativity. I wish I hadn't run out of The Chocoholic series. This is Miss Marple all over again. I have to say that my favorite authors are all women. Men mostly seem to write science fiction and non fiction and nowadays zombie takes on the usual stories. Not a fan. Until next time. ( )
  Jiraiya | Jun 22, 2013 |
It took four or five chapters before I actually got into this book. From the 'campy' pirates who boarded boats to dance a jig, to dead bodies, to a nerd named Byron, the book finally turned into a semi-page turner. The book includes lots of chocolate trivia but I wish the author would include some of the recipes for the yummy chocolate mentioned in the book. I do feel the author is running out of steam in this series. It seems she is searching for ideas. This book was enjoyable but I am not waiting for more with the anticipation I have in the past. ( )
  wearylibrarian | Jan 16, 2011 |
A sunset cruise on Lake Michigan in an antique wooden powerboat is the perfect way to celebrate the summer solstice, and the weather that particular June 21 was also perfect.

"Ever since Young Blackbeard became the biggest movie of the decade, everyone has caught pirate fever, including the residents of Warner Pier. TenHuis Chocolade is raking in the booty and selling out of chocolate treasure chests, pirate hats and ships faster than you can say "Shiver me timbers." Caught up in the spirit of the seven seas, Lee McKinney Woodyard and her husband, Joe, take their boat out on Lake Michigan and are stunned when a mischievous band of pirates hops on board Costumed and waving obviously fake weapons, the pirates perform an entertaining sea chantey before plunging back into the watery debts. Lee's is the first boat boarded in what comes to be known as the Summer of the Warner Pier Pirates, and the town couldn't be more amused by the mysterious buccaneers. But when a body washes up on shore, the pirates' antics stop being so entertaining. Now Lee has to figure out the truth behind the Warner Pier pirates--before someone else winds up walking the plank" -- Cover, p. 2.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,324,817 books! | Top bar: Always visible