Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Hero by Mike Lupica
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (elbakerone)
    elbakerone: Both books deal with young boys coming to terms with a supernatural inheritance from their fathers and entwine action/adventure with friendship and family.

After his father’s death Zach’s body begins to go through a strange transformation. His sight gets betters, his speed and strength begin to develop at an incredible rate. Unbeknownst to him, his father was the President’s secret weapon, a super hero who battled the forces of evil. Now that it’s Zach’s turn, will he use his powers for good or join the ranks of his father’s enemies?
  mcmlsbookbutler | Feb 11, 2017 |
I felt like this book was a long introduction to a series. I really enjoyed the setting as Zach roamed around Central Park and Manhattan.
14 year old, Zach Harriman has just received the worst news any kid could get… his dad was killed in an airplane crash. Knowing his father’s dangerous line of work, Zach is determined it was no accident. He sets out with his best friend, Kate, to find out how it happened. Along the way, Zach finds out more information about his dad and himself. Apparently, Zach and his dad are not like everyone else. They have special powers and Zach plans to put them to use in order to find out who killed his father. As time passes, he finds himself between his “Uncle” that he loves and an old man, Mr. Herbert. He doesn’t know which one is telling him the truth and wishes his father was here to help him. ( )
  jothebookgirl | Jan 3, 2017 |
Mike Lupica's "Hero", is the first book in the start of a promising contemporary fantasy series. Fourteen-year-old Zach Harriman begins to learn that life is taking on a different course than he thought it would. With his father gone and these strange powers developing within him, other people start coming around, attempting to control his decisions and how he will use his powers.

I thought the book was very well written, and the tension kept me wanting to read. There was, however, too little overall description of the characters, place and setting, so it was harder to imagine myself there. However, I doubt this would bother target readers as much as me. The internal changes of Zach were well played out and contributed to a very satisfying read.

I would definitely want to read the next book in the series. ( )
  Bruce_A | Dec 9, 2016 |
This book is about a boy who loses his father, and then soon finds out that he is a super hero. This is a book for older students fourth through sixth grade. To use this book in your classroom, you can talk about character development and heroism. ( )
  DinahW | Nov 7, 2016 |
Very interesting book. It kind of reminded me of the gallagher girls series but more towards boys and super powers. ( )
  sammymowheeler | Jan 19, 2016 |
This one is for Michael Green.
I could never have written this book--or any
book--without the love and support of Taylor,
Christopher, Alex, Zach and Hannah.

They are my heroes, the ones who make
me believe in magic.

And Esther Newberg, who always just believes.
There were four thugs, total gangsters, in front of the house with their rifles and their night-vision goggles.

(from the book jacket) Zach Harriman thought he knew his dad. Knicks fan, ex-Harvard football star, special advisor to the President of the United States. And then Tom Harriman's plane crases under mysterious circumstances and everything Zach thought he knew about his father explodes with it.
Now the same people who wanted hos father dead want Zach very much alive. Why? Because Tom Harriman was no ordinary man. And because Zach is destined to follow in his footsteps.
Starting now.
As something no one even knows exists... A fourteen-year-old superhero.

Fourteen-year-old Zach learns he has the same special abilities as his father, who was the President's globe-trotting troubleshooter until "the Bads" killed him, and now Zach must decide whether to use his powers in the same way at the risk of his own life.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Mike Lupica's book Hero was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,474,655 books! | Top bar: Always visible