Pecan Pie Baby by Jacqueline Woodson

Pecan Pie Baby (edition 2010)

by Jacqueline Woodson, Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)

Member:akrause
Title:Pecan Pie Baby
Authors:Jacqueline Woodson
Other authors:Sophie Blackall (Illustrator)
Info:Putnam Juvenile (2010), Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, family, African-American, k-3

Pecan Pie Baby by Jacqueline Woodson

That ding dang baby is coming and Gia is not ready. She is afraid the baby will take away her mom. Gia thinks the baby is a copy cat because she likes pecan pie just like her and her mom.
  sami_schneider | Dec 2, 2016 |
I liked this book for many reasons including the language style, the plot, and characters. This story is about a young girl who is jealous of the unborn baby her mother will be having soon. She liked it better when she had her mother all to her self. I believe the big idea/message of the story is that new changes in a family can be good. The language style in this book was very descriptive and patterned. The phrase "ding-dang baby" was commonly used throughout the story, which accurately depicted the feelings the young girl had about her new baby brother or sister. "And I knew what was coming next- more talk about the ding-dang baby." The plot is very organized and paced well to depict the conflict of the story. The story opens with the young girl wanting to give away her old clothes, but her mother wants to keep them because of the baby on the way. The story then introduces all the situations the young girl deals with because of the new baby coming. The characters in the story were very believable and easy to relate to. The young girl is so used to it just being her and her mother all the time and she is not ready for the change. "Now, that baby was going to change everything!". Everyone who has been the only child before a new baby came along can relate to what the young girl is going through. ( )
  AndreaStreet | Nov 2, 2016 |
Pecan Pie Baby is an adorable story about a little girl, Gia, who's mother is expecting. Unlike, other situations Gia is not happy about having another addition to her family. I chose this book not only because I am a fan of Jacqueline Woodson but because I wanted to know where the title comes from. At the end of the story, Gia makes a statement about how the three of them love pecan pie, referring to the unborn baby. ( )
  Neshia.Rowe | Oct 4, 2016 |
Awesome book for young children getting ready to become older siblings. Great book for the classroom would be relatable for young children having a hard time dealing with change and celebrates diversity.
  Jacqcar | Jun 6, 2016 |
I loved the artwork and use of color in this book. I enjoyed the diversity included in this book/family.
I picked this book because of my love for pecan pie, yum! ( )
  lindsayeubanks | May 31, 2016 |

Jacqueline Woodsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Woodson, Jacquelinemain authorall editionsconfirmed

This book helps to understand how to welcome a new child to the family

When Mama's pregnancy draws attention away from Gia, she worries that the special bond they share will disappear forever once the baby is born.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,814,763 books! | Top bar: Always visible