Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

Junkyard Wonders (edition 2010)

by Patricia Polacco, Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)

Member:melissaf82
Title:Junkyard Wonders
Authors:Patricia Polacco
Other authors:Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2010), Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:It's Ok to be Different, Friendship

Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

3.5 stars in my own personal opinion. I love how this is a true story - a memoir. So not only can children learn the message of hope and joy and appreciation of everyone's contributions, they can learn one way how to read & write a memoir. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This just hurts my heart! I like how the kids tried to reclaim the word junkyard as their own and use it as a sign of pride. Jody's death pushed this book into too dark of a place for me, but I think the idea of being appreciative of your peers is really powerful. Like other Pollacco books, this one is based on her own life experiences. ( )
  CALammert | May 4, 2016 |
"Junkyard Wonders" is by far my favorite book that I've read this semester. It can be difficult knowing that you're not on the same level as your peers and knowing that your peers know it too. When your classroom is referred to as the "Junkyard," it's had to have a positive outlook on school and on yourself. Luckily, the students in this junkyard have an amazing teacher. From the very beginning, she makes sure that they are all aware that they are geniuses and that greatness can come from the junkyard too. This book is about the importance of friendship, self-esteem, and great teaching. I hope to be half as amazing as this teacher was. Even though I enjoyed it and recognized it's power as a future teacher, it's a great read for anyone. ( )
  tmoore3 | May 3, 2016 |
A young girl starts a new school and she is talented. She then learns her class is called the junkyard because of all the different types of talents they have. She doesn't like it at first because she doesn't like the name they have but then she comes to like it. ( )
  Theresa_Kieffer | May 2, 2016 |
This book is about a young girl named Trisha who is very excited to start a new school, but she learns that her class is called the junkyard. She earns that this name isn’t a bad thing; her teacher helps her see this. She sees that through this “junkyard” classroom, each student has a special place. ( )
  ccampeaux | Mar 31, 2016 |

When young Trisha finds out her class at the new school is known as ?The Junkyard,? she is devastated. She moved from her old town so she wouldn?t be in a special class anymore! But then she meets her teacher, the quirky and invincible Mrs. Peterson, and her classmates, an oddly brilliant group of students each with his or her own unique talent. And it is here in The Junkyard that Trisha learns the true meaning of genius, and that this group of misfits are, in fact, wonders, all of them.

Based on a real-life event in Patricia Polacco?s childhood, this ode to teachers will inspire all readers to find their inner genius.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:48 -0400)

Inspired by a teacher who believes each of them is a genius, a class of special-needs students invents something that could convince the whole school they are justifiably proud to be "Junkyard Wonders."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,316,705 books! | Top bar: Always visible