Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

Junkyard Wonders (edition 2010)

by Patricia Polacco, Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)

Member:melissaf82
Title:Junkyard Wonders
Authors:Patricia Polacco
Other authors:Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2010), Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:It's Ok to be Different, Friendship

Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

This book is my favorite book, yet. The author's note at the end of the book brought tears to my eyes. This story is so powerful for many reasons. It is real, relatable, and inspiring. I especially enjoyed how they memorialized Jody by naming the plane "Junkyard Wonder" and flying it off of the roof. Every illustration depicted what was happening in the story during that time. The illustrations were beautiful and showed great emotion. For example, on the page when Mrs. Peterson announced to the class that Jody had passed away, the illustration shows the shock, dismay, and heartbreak on all of the student's faces. This was a traumatic time in all of their lives and it was conveyed perfectly through the illustration. Such an amazing book. ( )
  abrozi1 | Nov 3, 2014 |
Of all the books read by this author thus far, this is my favorite. Polacco writes from real-life experiences, praising those who had a positive impact. Her beautiful illustrations and lovely writing are a wonderful combination.

At an early age, she struggled to read and to process things that seemed to come easy to her classmates. Spending a year with her father in Michigan, she hoped that school would be different. Leaving behind those who knew her difficulties, she longed for a new beginning.

When entering a new school, she soon learned that she was placed in a class with those who had various physical and developmental issues. Bullied by some non "junkyard wonders", it was a brilliant, caring, sensitive teacher who turned the "junkyard wonders" into a cohesive group who grew to know they had many strengths. Teaching that their difficulties were not insurmountable, the children grew to trust their teacher and to rely on each other.

When one of their classmates died, the group completed their original shared project and used this as an impetus to soar with their dreams.

Five BIG stars for this marvelous story. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Oct 10, 2014 |
Every time I read a new Patricia Polacco book I can't help but to fall in love with her stories. Junkyard Wonders is such a beautiful and moving story about students with special needs. Trisha goes to live with her dad and when she goes to school she is placed in a special class. By reading Thank you, Mr. Falker we find out that Trisha has dyslexia and she has just learned how to read. This story is a roller coaster of emotions. The students in this class accept each other just like they are and they do not see anything wrong with them. The story talks about the death of one of the boys in the class and it is a very difficult moment in the story. The best about the story is that is written about real life experiences. At the end of the book we find out that all the students in this class became important people with different skills in their adult life. I know I've said this before but Patricia Polacco's books are a must have. ( )
  cvarela | Oct 2, 2014 |
This book shows a character named Trisha who is a new student. She thinks her year will be great at the new school. At her old school she was in the special class. Trisha goes to the new school and finds out that she is in a class they call the junkyard. Once in class her teacher, Mrs. Peterson, explains that all of the students in the class have a special talent. They each have the abilities to be some of the brightest students.After being in the class Trisha becomes great friends with her classmates.
This book is great to show students that everyone is special in their own way. ( )
  marabie | Sep 30, 2014 |
Summary:This book is about a special needs class who truly embraces each other. Through the encouragement of their teacher, they learn how unique each one of them is and what talents they bring. They come together to accomplish common goal of taking junkyard finds and making them into something wonderful.

Personal Reaction: I loved this book mostly because each of the characters is very real and is someone who could be seen in any classroom today. I enjoyed the vividness of the story and was really emotionally connected to the character when he passes away.

Classroom Extension:I would use this in a classroom as a discussion tool if there arises a question for why some students are different or have special time out of class without being specific. I could also have my kids take recyclable materials and have them make their own junkyard wonder.
  yourfavhannah | Sep 16, 2014 |

When young Trisha finds out her class at the new school is known as ?The Junkyard,? she is devastated. She moved from her old town so she wouldn?t be in a special class anymore! But then she meets her teacher, the quirky and invincible Mrs. Peterson, and her classmates, an oddly brilliant group of students each with his or her own unique talent. And it is here in The Junkyard that Trisha learns the true meaning of genius, and that this group of misfits are, in fact, wonders, all of them.

Based on a real-life event in Patricia Polacco?s childhood, this ode to teachers will inspire all readers to find their inner genius.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:41 -0400)

Inspired by a teacher who believes each of them is a genius, a class of special-needs students invents something that could convince the whole school they are justifiably proud to be "Junkyard Wonders."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,940,924 books! | Top bar: Always visible