SantaThing sign up ends in 5:20 hours (5:00 PM EST) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

Junkyard Wonders (original 2010; edition 2010)

by Patricia Polacco, Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)

Member:melissaf82
Title:Junkyard Wonders
Authors:Patricia Polacco
Other authors:Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2010), Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:It's Ok to be Different, Friendship

Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco (2010)

Junkyard Wonders is about about many different kids with many different disabilities. Each student is different in their own way but as a whole they make up a wonderful class. I hated how the other kids were making fun of them because they were in a special class. Everyone has some kind of disadvantage with something to it helps to help instead of hurting one another with crazy comments. ( )
  lasmith7 | Nov 10, 2016 |
Patricia was excited to go to a new school and make new friends where no one would know that she used to not be able to read. However, when she started on the first day, she realized that she was not with the "regular" kids. She was in a class with many different types of children, and everyone called the class a junkyard. With the help of her teacher, Mrs. Peterson, she was able to find a purpose. She didn't need to be in a class with the "regular" kids; she was right where she belonged. As a future teacher, this true story touches me. My purpose as a teacher is to first educate, but also, it is to help my students find themselves and become comfortable within their environment. I wish to touch my students in a way like Mrs. Peterson. ( )
  Sierra.Coupel | Oct 10, 2016 |
This is book has a message of being true to yourself. This little girl has moved to a new school and her classroom is called the junkyard. She feels different because of the class she was put into and does not want to feel this way anymore. She struggles with being different until she realizes it is not necessarily a bad thing. On page 5 you see this where the author says "Didn't you notice... all of us are... different. You know... odd." This feeling quickly changed when on page 14 she says "Our class was special, all right. The junkyard kids were pretty amazing to begin with, and Mrs. Peterson showed us how to shine." This book is great for all of our students to learn that kids are different. The pictures are very colorful and very detailed. ( )
  pwood3 | Sep 25, 2016 |
3.5 stars in my own personal opinion. I love how this is a true story - a memoir. So not only can children learn the message of hope and joy and appreciation of everyone's contributions, they can learn one way how to read & write a memoir. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
This just hurts my heart! I like how the kids tried to reclaim the word junkyard as their own and use it as a sign of pride. Jody's death pushed this book into too dark of a place for me, but I think the idea of being appreciative of your peers is really powerful. Like other Pollacco books, this one is based on her own life experiences. ( )
  CALammert | May 4, 2016 |
To the wonder of Mrs. Peterson and my tribe.
My heart sang as I walked to school with all of the kids on my gramma's block on the first day of school.

When young Trisha finds out her class at the new school is known as ?The Junkyard,? she is devastated. She moved from her old town so she wouldn?t be in a special class anymore! But then she meets her teacher, the quirky and invincible Mrs. Peterson, and her classmates, an oddly brilliant group of students each with his or her own unique talent. And it is here in The Junkyard that Trisha learns the true meaning of genius, and that this group of misfits are, in fact, wonders, all of them.

Based on a real-life event in Patricia Polacco?s childhood, this ode to teachers will inspire all readers to find their inner genius.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:48 -0400)

Inspired by a teacher who believes each of them is a genius, a class of special-needs students invents something that could convince the whole school they are justifiably proud to be "Junkyard Wonders."

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,645,766 books! | Top bar: Always visible