Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

Junkyard Wonders (edition 2010)

by Patricia Polacco, Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)

Member:melissaf82
Title:Junkyard Wonders
Authors:Patricia Polacco
Other authors:Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2010), Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:It's Ok to be Different, Friendship

Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

Of all the books read by this author thus far, this is my favorite. Polacco writes from real-life experiences, praising those who had a positive impact. Her beautiful illustrations and lovely writing are a wonderful combination.

At an early age, she struggled to read and to process things that seemed to come easy to her classmates. Spending a year with her father in Michigan, she hoped that school would be different. Leaving behind those who knew her difficulties, she longed for a new beginning.

When entering a new school, she soon learned that she was placed in a class with those who had various physical and developmental issues. Bullied by some non "junkyard wonders", it was a brilliant, caring, sensitive teacher who turned the "junkyard wonders" into a cohesive group who grew to know they had many strengths. Teaching that their difficulties were not insurmountable, the children grew to trust their teacher and to rely on each other.

When one of their classmates died, the group completed their original shared project and used this as an impetus to soar with their dreams.

Five BIG stars for this marvelous story. ( )
1 vote Whisper1 | Oct 10, 2014 |
Every time I read a new Patricia Polacco book I can't help but to fall in love with her stories. Junkyard Wonders is such a beautiful and moving story about students with special needs. Trisha goes to live with her dad and when she goes to school she is placed in a special class. By reading Thank you, Mr. Falker we find out that Trisha has dyslexia and she has just learned how to read. This story is a roller coaster of emotions. The students in this class accept each other just like they are and they do not see anything wrong with them. The story talks about the death of one of the boys in the class and it is a very difficult moment in the story. The best about the story is that is written about real life experiences. At the end of the book we find out that all the students in this class became important people with different skills in their adult life. I know I've said this before but Patricia Polacco's books are a must have. ( )
  cvarela | Oct 2, 2014 |
This book shows a character named Trisha who is a new student. She thinks her year will be great at the new school. At her old school she was in the special class. Trisha goes to the new school and finds out that she is in a class they call the junkyard. Once in class her teacher, Mrs. Peterson, explains that all of the students in the class have a special talent. They each have the abilities to be some of the brightest students.After being in the class Trisha becomes great friends with her classmates.
This book is great to show students that everyone is special in their own way. ( )
  marabie | Sep 30, 2014 |
Summary:This book is about a special needs class who truly embraces each other. Through the encouragement of their teacher, they learn how unique each one of them is and what talents they bring. They come together to accomplish common goal of taking junkyard finds and making them into something wonderful.

Personal Reaction: I loved this book mostly because each of the characters is very real and is someone who could be seen in any classroom today. I enjoyed the vividness of the story and was really emotionally connected to the character when he passes away.

Classroom Extension:I would use this in a classroom as a discussion tool if there arises a question for why some students are different or have special time out of class without being specific. I could also have my kids take recyclable materials and have them make their own junkyard wonder.
  yourfavhannah | Sep 16, 2014 |
This is truly a remarkable book and I loved it for various reasons. First, the illustrations were beautiful. They were filled with color and I thought they fit the story appropriately. The lines appeared to be pencil and they weren’t traditional in the sense that they did were not perfectly straight lines and I thought they were very realistic. I thought they enhanced the story because they were not “traditional” just as the main characters in the book were not “normal.” Next, I loved the characters. I thought they were well-developed and I was able to understand who they were and how well they all fit together in the junkyard. I was basically in tears when Jody died and without such wonderful character development I don’t think I would have been as attached, I would have been upset but not crying. Lastly, I thought the story itself was beautiful and when I found out it was a true story I was even more enthralled. The main character, Trisha, was starting a new school and was so excited that no one would know she was different. But on the first day, the other students already knew she had been placed in the gifted class. She was upset, especially when her teacher refers to their class as “the junkyard,” but throughout the story Mrs. Peterson teaches her that all kids can become something special. Trisha makes incredible friendships and it was really neat to see her transformation. It is truly a remarkable story and the main message is so poignant throughout the book. This book also pushes readers to think about tough issues, such as bullying and people with special needs, in an effort to broaden their perspectives on such issues. The main message is that everyone should embrace each other’s differences and accept who they are no matter what and, also, anyone can do anything just as long as they believe in themselves. ( )
  sarabeck | May 11, 2014 |

When young Trisha finds out her class at the new school is known as ?The Junkyard,? she is devastated. She moved from her old town so she wouldn?t be in a special class anymore! But then she meets her teacher, the quirky and invincible Mrs. Peterson, and her classmates, an oddly brilliant group of students each with his or her own unique talent. And it is here in The Junkyard that Trisha learns the true meaning of genius, and that this group of misfits are, in fact, wonders, all of them.

Based on a real-life event in Patricia Polacco?s childhood, this ode to teachers will inspire all readers to find their inner genius.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:41 -0400)

Inspired by a teacher who believes each of them is a genius, a class of special-needs students invents something that could convince the whole school they are justifiably proud to be "Junkyard Wonders."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,307,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible