Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

Junkyard Wonders (edition 2010)

by Patricia Polacco, Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)

Member:melissaf82
Title:Junkyard Wonders
Authors:Patricia Polacco
Other authors:Patricia Polacco (Illustrator)
Info:Philomel (2010), Hardcover, 48 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:It's Ok to be Different, Friendship

Junkyard Wonders by Patricia Polacco

This is truly a remarkable book and I loved it for various reasons. First, the illustrations were beautiful. They were filled with color and I thought they fit the story appropriately. The lines appeared to be pencil and they weren’t traditional in the sense that they did were not perfectly straight lines and I thought they were very realistic. I thought they enhanced the story because they were not “traditional” just as the main characters in the book were not “normal.” Next, I loved the characters. I thought they were well-developed and I was able to understand who they were and how well they all fit together in the junkyard. I was basically in tears when Jody died and without such wonderful character development I don’t think I would have been as attached, I would have been upset but not crying. Lastly, I thought the story itself was beautiful and when I found out it was a true story I was even more enthralled. The main character, Trisha, was starting a new school and was so excited that no one would know she was different. But on the first day, the other students already knew she had been placed in the gifted class. She was upset, especially when her teacher refers to their class as “the junkyard,” but throughout the story Mrs. Peterson teaches her that all kids can become something special. Trisha makes incredible friendships and it was really neat to see her transformation. It is truly a remarkable story and the main message is so poignant throughout the book. This book also pushes readers to think about tough issues, such as bullying and people with special needs, in an effort to broaden their perspectives on such issues. The main message is that everyone should embrace each other’s differences and accept who they are no matter what and, also, anyone can do anything just as long as they believe in themselves. ( )
  sarabeck | May 11, 2014 |
This is one of my favorite books ever. This is the story about a little girl who is excited about her move because no one will know her. When she is put in the special class she experiences a lot of bullying but has a group of wonderful friends. I loved the story and the illustrations. Polacco never disappoints. ( )
  Imandayeh | Apr 24, 2014 |
This is a charming tale about finding friendship in the most unlikely way. We learn of a new student who is trying to escape her old school after being different, to end up in the same circumstances of her new. Only this time, she finds herself in greatest of friendships. These students then band together to perform the schools greatest science project.

I think this book is great to use for all elementary students. It talks about being different and wanting to be accepted. It discusses how finding friendship int he most unlikely of places can change everything. It tells how important it is to never lose hope and how binding together you can find a home. it teaches students about loss and love. This book has so many great things to discuss!! ( )
  breksarah | Feb 26, 2014 |
Junkyard Wonders is a realistic fiction book based on Polacco's life. This book is about friendship and accepting everyone's differences. Really awesome book I would read to k-6th grade. ( )
  aloupe | Feb 26, 2014 |
It's great, I almost cried ... I didn't because I was at a public place - oh motherhood, the things you do! ( )
  lmeza | Feb 6, 2014 |

When young Trisha finds out her class at the new school is known as ?The Junkyard,? she is devastated. She moved from her old town so she wouldn?t be in a special class anymore! But then she meets her teacher, the quirky and invincible Mrs. Peterson, and her classmates, an oddly brilliant group of students each with his or her own unique talent. And it is here in The Junkyard that Trisha learns the true meaning of genius, and that this group of misfits are, in fact, wonders, all of them.

Based on a real-life event in Patricia Polacco?s childhood, this ode to teachers will inspire all readers to find their inner genius.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:26:41 -0400)

Inspired by a teacher who believes each of them is a genius, a class of special-needs students invents something that could convince the whole school they are justifiably proud to be "Junkyard Wonders."

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,475,673 books! | Top bar: Always visible