Star Island by Carl Hiaasen

Star Island

by Carl Hiaasen

Series: Skink (6)

Recently added bydefortsi, INorris, Jill3170, cao9415, private library, missmies, LottaTypos, LJMax, karenchase
    Nuclear Jellyfish by Tim Dorsey (TooBusyReading)
    TooBusyReading: Tim Dorsey has the same type of absurd humor and quirky characters as Hiaasen. Florida setting, too.

English (49)  Finnish (1)  All languages (50)
One never opens an Hiaasen book expecting intricate plot themes and stunning charactizations. One reads Mr. Hiaasen because he has a biting wit which blends so well with his satirical look at certain aspects of life. In STAR ISLAND he tackles the pop diva music world personified by Cherry Pie … the perfect melding of so many young popsters on the current music scene. Cherry is over-indulged, under-talented, drug-dependant and stage-mothered. She is also stalked by uber-papparazzo Bang Abbott and has a look alike stand-in for those times she has the “tummy problems” she happens to be so prone to (nudge-nudge-wink-wink).

This book is a humorous, no hold barred accounting of Ms. Cherry Pie’s sad life and poor career choices. The population of amusing peripheral characters is what made this book work for me. They were so over-the-top and took themselves so seriously that it was hard not to laugh at the unbelievability for the whole time we were allowed to glimpse into their lives. Personally I think this is a book you need to be in the mood to read … kind of like a pallete cleansing light sorbet between heavier main courses.
  ChristineEllei | Jul 14, 2015 |
Carl never lets me down. I love his characters. His books are a joy to read. And oh how happy I was to have my favorite Ex governor back in my life. :) ( )
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
  whybehave2002 | Feb 4, 2015 |
Craziness on steroids in South Florida. ( )
  starkravingmad | Aug 17, 2014 |
The story follows a spoiled teen music star with a serious party mentality and her double who covers for her when she is incapacitated. Not the best plot from Hiaasen, but a few good digs and politicians and the entertainment world. ( )
  addunn3 | Apr 25, 2014 |
On the fifteenth of March, two hours before sunrise, an emergency medical technician named Jimmy Campo found a sweaty stranger huddled in the back of his ambulance.

Meet twenty-two-year-old Cherry Pye (née Cheryl Bunterman), a pop star since she was fourteen—and about to attempt a comeback from her latest drug-and-alcohol disaster.

Now meet Cherry again: in the person of her “undercover stunt double,” Ann DeLusia. Ann portrays Cherry whenever the singer is too “indisposed”—meaning wasted—to go out in public. And it is Ann-mistaken-for-Cherry who is kidnapped from a South Beach hotel by obsessed paparazzo Bang Abbott.

Now the challenge for Cherry’s handlers (über–stage mother; horndog record producer; nipped, tucked, and Botoxed twin publicists; weed whacker–wielding bodyguard) is to rescue Ann while keeping her existence a secret from Cherry’s public—and from Cherry herself.

The situation is more complicated than they know. Ann has had a bewitching encounter with Skink—the unhinged former governor of Florida living wild in a mangrove swamp—and now he’s heading for Miami to find her . . .

Will Bang Abbott achieve his fantasy of a lucrative private photo session with Cherry Pye? Will Cherry sober up in time to lip-synch her way through her concert tour? Will Skink track down Ann DeLusia before Cherry’s motley posse does?

All will be revealed in this hilarious spin on life in the celebrity fast lane.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:04 -0400)

Ann DeLuisa, body double for drug-addled pop star Cherry Pye, is kidnapped by an obsessed paparazzo, and Cherry's entourage must rescue her while keeping her existence a secret from Cherry's public--and from Cherry herself.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,721,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible