Chasers (Alone #1) by James Phelan

Chasers (Alone #1) (edition 2012)

by James Phelan

Info:K-Teen (2012), Edition: Original, Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:***

Chasers (Alone #1) by James Phelan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It started out awesome, because I liked the scenario and I was really into the story but then it started to lose steam. Paranormal is a fave for me but I just got bored with thIs one. Probably not going to continue on with the series either. ( )
  BeguileThySorrow | Nov 6, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Chasers, the first book in the Alone series, seems to put a lot of weight on its ending . . . and it almost works. Almost.

In New York City as part of some UN, gifted teens program, Jesse is on the subway with his group, Dave, Min and Anna when tragedy strikes. Yet, neither the fireball nor the death they see below ground seems to be the worst of it. Once they manage to make their way up, they encounter destruction -- and people who no longer seem to be people.

On the run for their lives, Jesse and the others will have to keep their wits about them and stay safe.

The ending of Chasers is definitely shocking and did leave me thinking. However, once I thought beyond the ending and thought back over the rest of the book, I realized not much happened. It wasn't an 'on-the-run' thriller with danger at every turn, though you knew they were under threat.

Nor was it quite a character study looking at how Jesse dealt with this new, amazing situation he found himself in. It was a small bit of both but not quite enough of either.

The characters spend time in in the 30 Rock building (really, the GE Building at 30 Rockefeller Plaza) and while having a recognizable building for the plot makes sense, it was also distracting. The obvious inaccuracies pulled me out of the story; a fictional building wouldn't/couldn't have been inaccurate.

The two female characters in the book seemed to be either whiny, scared, or one saying her future plan might be to "marry money and do nothing." (pg 7) It may just be how they came across but it seemed like the male characters took the initiative, had the ideas and did the reassuring while the girls were, well, the damsels in distress.

I will give the second book a try to see how it goes. This first book may have been a setup for the second (and third) books, in which case I may enjoy it more. If there isn't more action -- or even introspection -- and some character difference, I don't know, though. ( )
  BookSpot | Jul 29, 2013 |
For me, this book is typical and what I thought. It was a quick and easy read.

So the plot is about these teens taking a ride on the subway and all of the sudden, BAM! Explosion! And when they wake, nothing is the same. People are acting funny, like zombies. I especially enjoyed the beginning part of the book. The descriptions of the characters along with the scene of an unexpected explosion filled with blackness, had me at the edge of my seat. This part is particularly my favorite.

There really wasn't a love interest but just friends trying to survive. Everything is tested in trying to survive They have to search for food, find shelter and most of all try to find people. Towards the end, the friends are closer to finding salvation.

Chasers is a good story. The main character Jesse stood out strong and came out on top. For me, this is quite predictable but something easy to pick up if you know what you want to read. If you like these types of stories, then this book is for you. ( )
  Bookswithbite | Mar 26, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
As I read the book I kept thinking that I would rather be watching the book as a movie than reading it. Not sure if that was a good thing, because I spent a part of the book thinking the author wrote it to be a movie (just the way it all flowed). But I did enjoy the story and will read the next follow up.

The descriptive prose was a little off to me - things like, in the beginning the teens keep seeing the infected 'drinking' from other people. Sorry, I just kept getting taken out of the story each time and tried to envision this... how are they drinking the person? The author doesn't say that the infected ravage the uninfected, or tear them apart, or bite them and suck their blood. They are just seen 'drinking' them. Found it confusing.

And why in the world did they pick a high rise to make semi-permanent camp when high rises all around them were crashing down?

The main characters weren't very likable and I found the pacing slow... but having all these negatives, I still liked the story line and stuck with it to the end. It was a solid OK for me ( )
  Mendoza | Feb 21, 2013 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
It's not very often that I can't finish a book, but I just wasn't pulled in by the story here. At all. I hate not finishing books, though, so I may give it another go sometime down the road, but I doubt it. ( )
  Annesanse | Feb 15, 2013 |

Jesse is on a UN Youth Ambassadors camp in New York when his subway carriage is rocked by an explosion. Jesse and his three friends, Anna, Dave and Mini, crawl out from the wreckage only to discover a city in chaos. The only other survivors seem to be infected with a virus that turns them into horrifying predators...… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Chasers by James Phelan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,494,479 books! | Top bar: Always visible