Cate of the Lost Colony by Lisa Klein

Cate of the Lost Colony (edition 2010)

by Lisa Klein

Member:TheBookHoarder
Title:Cate of the Lost Colony
Authors:Lisa Klein
Info:Bloomsbury USA Childrens (2010), Hardcover, 336 pages
Rating:***

Cate of the Lost Colony by Lisa Klein

Recently added byprivate library, ottilieweber, robertawilder, Whisper1, sachaurora, butterfly081689

Having visited Roanoke Island on a family trip many years ago, I've always been fascinated by the story of the "lost" colony. I was very excited to see that Lisa Klein, a historical fiction author I've read and enjoyed in the past, had decided to put her own spin on the tale.

Klein tells her story from three very differnt points of view. Acting as the main narrator, Lady Catherine Archer is a young handmaiden to Queen Elizabeth. She angers Elizabeth by flirting with Sir Walter Raleigh, one of the queen's favorite courtiers, and is first sent to the Tower and then later to England's new American colony, Roanoke. Another part of the story is told through Sir Walter's personal papers--letters, journal antries, and poems, giving readers a glimpse into the man who was the driving force behind Elizabeth's colonial experiment. Still another perspective is given by Manteo, a young Croatoan man who befriends the English, travels to the British Isles, and acts as an embassary between the English and their neighbors back in America. The three narratives blend skillfully to give readers a more complete picture of England's first attempt at colony building.

Klein did a lot of research for this work, and it shows. I read Lee Miller's nonficton Roanoke: Mystery of the Lost Colony while reading Cate of the Lost Colony, just to compare it to the "real" story. Klein's attention to detail is amazing, and the conjectures she make seem realistic and plausible. If her story doesn't actually solve the mystery, I can safely say I wish it did! I definitely recommend this book to anyone who has wondered just what did happen to America's lost colony. ( )
  beckymmoe | Apr 20, 2013 |
Cate was one of Queen Elizabeth’s favorite court maidens until she fell for Sir Walter Ralegh and is sent away. She is strong and brave and forced to start a challenging and terrifying life in a new place where she doesn’t know if she, or anyone else, will survive.

Cate of the Lost Colony is an incredible and well written story with love and adventure. I was pulled right in from the start.

If you like historical fiction, there is a good chance you will enjoy this book. I will definitely be reading more by this author in the future. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jan 20, 2013 |

beckymmoe | Feb 16, 2012 |
This book was absolutely wonderful and one of the best I've read so far this year! Cate is such a wonderfully relatable and fiercely abiding heroine that no matter what she did, I loved her always. I loved the romance, adventure, mystery and history attached to this book. It was very well-written and Lisa Klein's explanation for what happened to the lost colony of Roanoke is very plausible and interesting. I especially enjoyed Cate's acceptance of Manteo before she had even met him. To her he was just a human being like herself. This book will stay with me for a long time and bravo to Lisa Klein - you have finally ensnared me with this one! I tried a couple others and quit, but this one GOT ME!!! ( )
  AnnaKay21 | Nov 22, 2011 |
Orphaned after her father dies in war, Lady Catherine Archer is left in the care of her aunt and uncle--who don't exactly want her. Almost immediately called away as a maid for Queen Elizabeth I, though and that's where Cate of the Lost Colony really begins.

One of the girls responsible for the daily care of the queen--from fetching her clothing to washing and starching her ruffs (those huge white collars they used to wear) to accompanying the queen on her excursions--Catherine, only fourteen, has to learn the ins and outs of palace life and protocol.

No matter the rules, however, she finds it hard to keep all of her thoughts to herself especially where a certain paramour of the Queen's, Sir Walter Ralegh is concerned. Even knowing it will undoubtedly lead to trouble, Catherine can't seem to complete ignore Sir Walter, even under the ever watchful eye of the Queen and her other, not always friendly, maids.

Things do eventually lead to the Lost Colony of Roanoke (but that's much later on and I'm all for the anti-spoiler synopses, keep reading for more about this).

The summaries provided on different book-ish/buying websites and on the back of the book itself, (even the title actually) give more of the plot away, but much of that doesn't happen until Part II and Part III. Part I is a lot about building who Catherine is and her relationships with different characters while working as one of the Queen's maids.

I really enjoyed that so much time was spent developing all of the characters and their relationships before Roanoke was even introduced, it really helped me care more about them once they were in Virginia. It was a historical book but one as much if not more about a character than the events.

There's an index in the front of the book to let you know which characters are real/historical and which are fictional (Cate is fictional) and the author's note in the back does a great job summing up the history--what's real, what's not so much, and where you can go to get more.

Cate of the Lost Colony blends just enough romance, history, and adventure to be a really good read. I'm looking forward to reading some of Lisa Klein's other books now. ( )
  BookSpot | Nov 13, 2011 |
At a young age, I learned how quickly one's fortunes can change, a truth that never betrayed me.

The greatest unsolved mystery of American history--what happened to all the colonists who landed on Roanoke Island in 1587? This novel traces the fortunes and misfortunes of one Cate Archer, banished to Virginia by a jealous Queen Elizabeth because of her dalliance with Sir Walter Ralegh. What will be her fate in this dangerous New World?

When her dalliance with Sir Walter Ralegh is discovered by Queen Elizabeth in 1587, lady-in-waiting Catherine Archer is banished to the struggling colony of Roanoke, where she and the other English settlers must rely on a Croatoan Indian for their survival. Includes author's note on the mystery surrounding the Lost Colony.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,607,980 books! | Top bar: Always visible