Graveminder by Melissa Marr

Graveminder

by Melissa Marr

Recently added byNinek, pasher, Wasabiishot, private library, Aneris, lozzy_1999, littlebread, RachelNash

This book was fantastic. I'm not usually one to write reviews but honestly, I really fell in love with this story. It flowed so well and I couldn't put it down. ( )
  nyxofthelake | Apr 3, 2017 |
Graveminder
4 Stars

Upon returning home to Claysville following the death of her beloved grandmother, Rebekkah Barrow learns the town's troubling secret known only to a select few, and discovers that she has been chosen to carry on a family tradition. Unfortunately, not everyone is pleased with the choice and Rebekkah finds herself the target of a malicious and dangerous foe ...

The original premise and solid writing style more than compensate for the lackluster romance.

Rebekkah is a strong and independent heroine, but also stubborn and emotionally distant. She has trouble accepting help from others even when she clearly needs it. Although she is obviously in love with Byron, she cannot admit it either to him or to herself, which adds unnecessary angst to their relationship. Byron, in contrast, has not such difficulty and there are times when his devotion to Rebekkah grates on the nerves. While Rebekkah and Byron do eventually come to terms with the fact that they must work together as a team both personally and professionally, their chemistry falls flat and their romance fizzles.

Notwithstanding the problems with Rebekkah and Byron, it is the plot of Graveminder that makes the book well worth reading. The town’s secret is intriguing and the build up to its revelation adds tension and suspense. There is also the added mystery of who precisely is out to get Rebekkah and why. The villain is a nasty piece of work, but ultimately receives the just reward in a very satisfying climax.

The world building is fascinating and the secondary characters, whether dead or alive, are very engaging. All in all, an entertaining story with just the right amount of gothic horror and grisly scenes to keep me satisfied despite its flaws. ( )
  Lauren2013 | Nov 19, 2016 |
Hmmm. A premise that was new to me, which is always wonderful. Some cool images, interesting ideas, and a plot that hummed along and clunked along at times. The ending was weak. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
From start to finish 'Graveminder' takes you on a chilling, soul searching and poignant journey along with its titular characters. The love story between Byron and Bek resonates just as close to home as life and death. Having been an early fan of Marr's Wicked Lovely series, I am happy to say her debut adult novel brought just as much and more passion and the otherworldly. ( )
  JSilverwood | Aug 27, 2016 |
I really enjoyed this book. I have never thought of this topic where the dead can come back and someone has to be able to take them back to the land of the dead. Bek has been assigned the task of graveminder after her grandmother is killed by the dead. She must go around and make sure the dead stay where she puts them. But she is drawn to the land of the dead and wants to be in both worlds. The undertaker helps keep the graveminder safe. They are drawn together and help each other. They are supposed to keep the living in Claysville safe. I found this well written although halfway through the book there were tons of typos. But it is enjoyable and I recommend this book. ( )
  MHanover10 | Jul 10, 2016 |
To Dr. Charles J. Marr, teacher and poet, uncle and inspiration, thank you for years of coversation, letters, and encouragement for my lit-love.
I love you, Uncle C.
Maylene put one hand atop the stone for support; pulling herself up from the soil got harder every year.

Rebekkah Barrow never forgot the tender attention her grandmother, Maylene, bestowed upon the dead of Claysville. Now Maylene is dead and Bek must go back to the place--and the man--she left a decade ago. But what she soon discovers is that Maylene was murdered. It turns out that in placid Claysville, the worlds of the living and the dead are dangerously connected.… (more)

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,507,084 books! | Top bar: Always visible