Graveminder by Melissa Marr

Graveminder

by Melissa Marr

Recently added byruntimeregan, cschooley, Awill424, LisaBurns1066, Hyzie, private library, sarahhepworth, pjpfodl, Sept

Creepy and fun. ( )
  LisaBurns1066 | Jun 9, 2019 |
The premises for this story is interesting: a woman can see the Dead and help them rest. The book was a fine entertainment, with enough action to keep me on my toes and wanting to read more. However, I don't think it will be a book that will stick with me.
For starters, I couldn't relate to the heroin. As much as I can understand her feelings of guilt, I tended to think she was overdoing it. And Byron let her walk over him too much in my opinion. Yet he was the stronger of the two because in the end, his carpet-attitude turned into stubborness and strength. It was even a bit too much.
All in all, it was a light reading, perfect to rest the mind but nothing more.
  Sept | May 21, 2019 |
I'd like to say that I've read everything by Melissa Marr. I'd like to say that. However the truth is that until Graveminder showed up at my door, and drew me in with it's Southern Gothic cover and blurb, I hadn't realized Melissa Marr's books were out there. Shame on me, I know. Let's just say that I've remedied that now, and if Graveminder is any indication of Marr's shining talent, then I'm 100% in. Call me a fangirl.

Graveminder is deep, gritty and filled with the type of tension that you only see in really good, old, horror movies. You know, the ones where the town seems peaceful and quiet at first glance, but deep down you know there's something brewing under the surface. The small town feel allows the reader to watch characters interact who know one another so intimately that it is captivating. I believe it's on the front cover that Charlaine Harris mentions Melissa Marr's stunning world building abilities. I second that, third it, and go back to read this book another time through. Claysville is not only a town populated by some of the most intriguing characters I've ever met. It's not just a town that buries secrets. No, Claysville literally breathes. It's alive.

If the town itself is alive, the characters are even more so. Their lives bleed off the page, intermingling into a group of people you might just meet some day. I fell in step with Rebekkah and Byron almost instantly, watching as their paths widened, met, and finally tangled into a messy heap. Each of them was believable, and I enjoyed that Marr didn't try make them perfect. Rebekkah and Byron each have their own demons that they are fighting, even as they are trying to keep one another from drowning. The tension between them, both in terms of anger and sexual interest, is palpable. I couldn't get over the fact that they were thrown together so unceremoniously. Following them as they tried to sort things out, and learned to rely on one another, was definitely a big part of what kept me reading on.

There's not really too much I can share with you in terms of the story line, without spoiling things. I am enamored with how little the synopsis gives the reader in terms of back story. To be honest, the less you know going in the more you'll be open to falling in love with the concept. This isn't your typical zombie book my friends. I'm honestly not even sure it should be compared to that. What Marr has created in Graveminder is something new, fresh and beautifully original. Her characters, her setting, the gorgeously woven story, it all comes together to create one heck of a book. Grab a copy and dive into Claysville. You might find that you just can't leave. ( )
  roses7184 | Feb 5, 2019 |
I liked "Graveminder" well enough, but the beginning and parts of the middle were much slower than they needed to be. Questions are not answered for a hundred pages or more, and by that point a literal portal to the afterlife feels like a bit of a stretch. I knew something mystical was going on, but "Graveminder" is set in our world, roughly at the present day, but because of the lack of hints or answers prior to the introduction of the portal to the afterlife I wasn't at all prepared for something that big to happen. Up until that point I had thought "Graveminder" was more magical realism than straight-up, other-worlds-attached-to-ours, fantasy.

Other than the slow pacing and sudden jolt when things picked up, I enjoyed "Graveminder" well enough. My favorite thing was how the point of view continually shifted--I loved seeing how different Rebeckah and Byron viewed the world of the afterlife, how other characters (particularly Daisha, Rebeckah's step-cousin Liz, and the mayor) viewed Rebeckah and Byron's relationship, and how Daisha reclaimed her humanity. The whole story is told through third-person limited point of view, but with who the POV is limited to always shifting, the world of Clayville became far more robust. The cast was varied but interesting, and very few minor characters were anything but fully 3D.

All in all, well worth a read, but I'm very glad I got my (virtual) copy on sale. Don't pay full price for "Graveminder." ( )
  whatsmacksaid | Sep 21, 2018 |
Graveminder
4 Stars

Upon returning home to Claysville following the death of her beloved grandmother, Rebekkah Barrow learns the town's troubling secret known only to a select few, and discovers that she has been chosen to carry on a family tradition. Unfortunately, not everyone is pleased with the choice and Rebekkah finds herself the target of a malicious and dangerous foe ...

The original premise and solid writing style more than compensate for the lackluster romance.

Rebekkah is a strong and independent heroine, but also stubborn and emotionally distant. She has trouble accepting help from others even when she clearly needs it. Although she is obviously in love with Byron, she cannot admit it either to him or to herself, which adds unnecessary angst to their relationship. Byron, in contrast, has not such difficulty and there are times when his devotion to Rebekkah grates on the nerves. While Rebekkah and Byron do eventually come to terms with the fact that they must work together as a team both personally and professionally, their chemistry falls flat and their romance fizzles.

Notwithstanding the problems with Rebekkah and Byron, it is the plot of Graveminder that makes the book well worth reading. The town’s secret is intriguing and the build up to its revelation adds tension and suspense. There is also the added mystery of who precisely is out to get Rebekkah and why. The villain is a nasty piece of work, but ultimately receives the just reward in a very satisfying climax.

The world building is fascinating and the secondary characters, whether dead or alive, are very engaging. All in all, an entertaining story with just the right amount of gothic horror and grisly scenes to keep me satisfied despite its flaws. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |
To Dr. Charles J. Marr, teacher and poet, uncle and inspiration, thank you for years of coversation, letters, and encouragement for my lit-love.
I love you, Uncle C.
Maylene put one hand atop the stone for support; pulling herself up from the soil got harder every year.

Rebekkah Barrow never forgot the tender attention her grandmother, Maylene, bestowed upon the dead of Claysville. Now Maylene is dead and Bek must go back to the place--and the man--she left a decade ago. But what she soon discovers is that Maylene was murdered. It turns out that in placid Claysville, the worlds of the living and the dead are dangerously connected.… (more)

Melissa Marr is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,763,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible