Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (2010)

by Lish McBride

7797611,832 (4)63
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (kaledrina)
    Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst (kaledrina)
    Death & Co. by D. J. McCune (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA urban fantasy that deals with a family who are guides to the Afterlife, except one young family member discovers that not all is as it seems and someone is working to destroy everything he knows
    Croak by Gina Damico (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both YA, one dealing with a teen reaper and one with a teen necromancer
    Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story by Adam Rex (kaledrina)
    City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (staceylouise)

And this is how you make me buy a book without much caring about the blurb (yes, I did read it, but I was already pretty sure I was going to read the book no matter what). I'm talking about the title of course, with its cheeky silliness and intriguing contradiction. Even better, the book delivers just that - it's cheeky and fun and often quite scary, and the characters are GREAT - and also, surprise, cheeky and funny, in a teenage horror comedy "ogod I know it's going to get me killed but I just can't keep my mouth shut" way. I loved how there was no sudden "with great power comes great responsibility" thing (at least not yet), and the characters were clearly out of their depths for most of the book, clutching their skateboards to their chests and trying to deal with the sudden supernatural element in their lives.

It's sometimes a bit over the top, or rather, sometimes the over-the-top-stuff gets a bit too ambitious; there's pretty easy acceptance by almost everyone who's exposed to the supernatural stuff, for example. On one hand I was ready to just suspend my disbelief willingly because I thought the author deliberately chose to do it like that, so as not to bog the book down with rationalisation and attempts to be realistic, but on the other hand I sometimes questioned if I *should* be more disdainful of the easy way some things were handled. In the end there were some thin lines where it could have gone bad for me, but it never really did. I was having too much fun.

Some caveats (is there a plural? oh well): I guess some people might not quite like the combination of comedy and death; for me it was part of the over-the-top thing. The switching between the 1st person protagonist POV and the 3rd person omniscient narrator for the side characters can bring a slight stutter to your reading experience; it's tied to chapters, however, so there's no in-paragraph switching, and the 3rd person chapters are generally kept to just one of the side characters, too. I didn't mind that much and actually liked the multiple points of view despite that slightly strange choice of mixing 1st and 3rd person, but others might.

Anyway, the book is great fun and rather brilliant for a debut, the story is refreshing and full of good ideas and manages to tie standard mythical creatures into a completely new type of plotline and setting. I just like that here's a nice young protagonist with a gift that is usually linked to soulless baddies and corrupted power-hungry old men. There's werewolves and some romance, which smacks of typical paranormal romance, but the romance is of the good kind that adds to the plot instead of constituting it, and the werewolves or other token supernatural beings are all a bit different than what you expect. The author has a strong and very even voice, and the characters are distinct and rounded (although Sam and Ramon are somewhat samey - then again, they are best friends. And I loved Frank), and I hope to read more about them in the next book, which I'm totally going to get, and soon. And I can't wait to read more about the lawn gnomes. ( )
  tigerbuns | Aug 3, 2016 |
I figured this was yet another YA vampire book. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the hero isn't even in his teens. He drank, had sex, had a crappy job, ran with some loyal but losery friends. He was a person, not a typical teen heartthrob, and I liked him more for it.
Not a bad story, I assume there'll be a sequel. I'm surprised there wasn't one already, actually. It just seems like the start of a series of stories about a guy just learning to use his powers, learning this whole new life.
If McBride writes another story, I'll read it. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
3.5 stars - The beginning of the book had a lot of snappy dialogue, introduced fun and original characters, and was very enjoyable. About 60% in, it lost momentum and focus never recovering fully but was okay entertainment from 80-85% until the end. ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
Narrated by Jonathan Todd Ross and Chris Sorensen. Sam is a young college dropout whose life is pretty much about working at a restaurant, hanging out with friends Ramon, Brooke and Frank, and skateboarding. His life changes after a disturbing encounter with Douglas Montgomery reveals that, like Douglas, Sam is a necromancer, a raiser of the dead. After Brooke is murdered and Sam’s mother reveals the family secret, Sam must figure out how to use his newly found power to beat Douglas at his own game. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
A funny, dark, fast-paced trek into the world of magic, werewolves and raising the dead. Hope there is a second one soon. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
To my mother:

my anchor, my buoy,

and my star to sail 'er by.
I stood in front of today's schedule still holding my skateboard, still drenched from the ride over, and still desperately wishing I hadn't dropped out of college.
Do you think ... Little Red Riding Hood would have learned a damn thing if she hadn't wandered off to pick some flowers?

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:51 -0400)

Sam LaCroix, a Seattle fast-food worker and college dropout, discovers that he is a necromancer, part of a world of harbingers, werewolves, satyrs, and one particular necromancer who sees Sam as a threat to his lucrative business of raising the dead.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,391,351 books! | Top bar: Always visible