Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (2010)

by Lish McBride

Monster by A. Lee Martinez (kaledrina)
    Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst (kaledrina)
    Death & Co. by D. J. McCune (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA urban fantasy that deals with a family who are guides to the Afterlife, except one young family member discovers that not all is as it seems and someone is working to destroy everything he knows
    Croak by Gina Damico (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both YA, one dealing with a teen reaper and one with a teen necromancer
    Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story by Adam Rex (kaledrina)
    City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (staceylouise)

A funny, dark, fast-paced trek into the world of magic, werewolves and raising the dead. Hope there is a second one soon. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
It was okay. Not much more than that.

The character building wasn't all that great. The first few pages I honestly thought Sam was a girl. The writing style just felt very... feminine. It got better throughout the story, but first impressions are important, right?

There were a crap-ton of POVs in this book. I just didn't get attached to anyone, except Brooke. I have an odd love for her. She's the only one who felt...interesting? Funny? Likable? Any of those work for her. They don't for the other characters.

Hmmm...I'm forgetting something. Oh yeah, how could I forget? INSTA-LOVE. There is nothing I hate more than insta-love. Nothing. I'm not going too deep into that because I don't want to be spoiling anything for anyone. But be forewarned, there was some insta-love regarding Sam and another person I'm not going to name for spoiler reasons.

Wow. That was negative. Don't get me wrong, this book was nice. It was light and kinda funny. It was kinda predictable and cheesy in some parts, but that made the book endearing. I will go on to say that this is definitely a book you borrow from a friend or get at the library.

Now, Moment of truth. Will I buy the next one? No. Unless one of my friends happens to have it or I stumble upon it in the library, I will not be reviewing or reading the second book.

AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
Sam is your average slacker, college drop-out, working a dead-end job with his three friends at a local fast-food chain. At least, until a seriously scary dude named Douglas Montgomery comes in one day and reveals a tiny detail about Sam: he's a necromancer. And Douglas, a stronger and definitely more evil necromancer, wants him to work with him... or else.

While still reeling from the revelations that the world is a much weirder place than he imagined, Sam has to figure out how to get out from Douglas's offer, keep living, and figure out who he is in the process.

The first thing I should mention is that this is very, very close to the TV show Reaper. If the title didn't tip you off, it's a pretty irreverent and funny take on the supernatural, and the similarities don't stop there - Sam (even the main characters have the same name) works a dead end job, has no direction, and three friends: Ramon, the Sock of the group; Frank, the Ben; and Brooke, the Andi except without the romantic interest angle.

If I sound disparaging, I'm not trying to be - Lish McBride definitely has her own voice and world, and it's an interesting one.

It's not a great work, but it's entertaining and fun, and I look forward to reading the second installment in the series. ( )
  kittyjay | Apr 23, 2015 |
To my mother:

my anchor, my buoy,

and my star to sail 'er by.
I stood in front of today's schedule still holding my skateboard, still drenched from the ride over, and still desperately wishing I hadn't dropped out of college.
Do you think ... Little Red Riding Hood would have learned a damn thing if she hadn't wandered off to pick some flowers?

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:51 -0400)

Sam LaCroix, a Seattle fast-food worker and college dropout, discovers that he is a necromancer, part of a world of harbingers, werewolves, satyrs, and one particular necromancer who sees Sam as a threat to his lucrative business of raising the dead.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,009,009 books! | Top bar: Always visible