Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (2010)

by Lish McBride

7727511,968 (4)63
    Monster by A. Lee Martinez (kaledrina)
    Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst (kaledrina)
    Death & Co. by D. J. McCune (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA urban fantasy that deals with a family who are guides to the Afterlife, except one young family member discovers that not all is as it seems and someone is working to destroy everything he knows
    Croak by Gina Damico (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both YA, one dealing with a teen reaper and one with a teen necromancer
    Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story by Adam Rex (kaledrina)
    City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (staceylouise)

I figured this was yet another YA vampire book. I was pleasantly surprised to find out the hero isn't even in his teens. He drank, had sex, had a crappy job, ran with some loyal but losery friends. He was a person, not a typical teen heartthrob, and I liked him more for it.
Not a bad story, I assume there'll be a sequel. I'm surprised there wasn't one already, actually. It just seems like the start of a series of stories about a guy just learning to use his powers, learning this whole new life.
If McBride writes another story, I'll read it. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
3.5 stars - The beginning of the book had a lot of snappy dialogue, introduced fun and original characters, and was very enjoyable. About 60% in, it lost momentum and focus never recovering fully but was okay entertainment from 80-85% until the end. ( )
  nospi | Feb 7, 2016 |
Narrated by Jonathan Todd Ross and Chris Sorensen. Sam is a young college dropout whose life is pretty much about working at a restaurant, hanging out with friends Ramon, Brooke and Frank, and skateboarding. His life changes after a disturbing encounter with Douglas Montgomery reveals that, like Douglas, Sam is a necromancer, a raiser of the dead. After Brooke is murdered and Sam’s mother reveals the family secret, Sam must figure out how to use his newly found power to beat Douglas at his own game. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
A funny, dark, fast-paced trek into the world of magic, werewolves and raising the dead. Hope there is a second one soon. ( )
  LJMax | Aug 21, 2015 |
It was okay. Not much more than that.

The character building wasn't all that great. The first few pages I honestly thought Sam was a girl. The writing style just felt very... feminine. It got better throughout the story, but first impressions are important, right?

There were a crap-ton of POVs in this book. I just didn't get attached to anyone, except Brooke. I have an odd love for her. She's the only one who felt...interesting? Funny? Likable? Any of those work for her. They don't for the other characters.

Hmmm...I'm forgetting something. Oh yeah, how could I forget? INSTA-LOVE. There is nothing I hate more than insta-love. Nothing. I'm not going too deep into that because I don't want to be spoiling anything for anyone. But be forewarned, there was some insta-love regarding Sam and another person I'm not going to name for spoiler reasons.

Wow. That was negative. Don't get me wrong, this book was nice. It was light and kinda funny. It was kinda predictable and cheesy in some parts, but that made the book endearing. I will go on to say that this is definitely a book you borrow from a friend or get at the library.

Now, Moment of truth. Will I buy the next one? No. Unless one of my friends happens to have it or I stumble upon it in the library, I will not be reviewing or reading the second book.

This review was originally posted on my blog Bonjour Books
Read it Here
  AlllyCat | Apr 28, 2015 |
To my mother:

my anchor, my buoy,

and my star to sail 'er by.
I stood in front of today's schedule still holding my skateboard, still drenched from the ride over, and still desperately wishing I hadn't dropped out of college.
Do you think ... Little Red Riding Hood would have learned a damn thing if she hadn't wandered off to pick some flowers?

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:51 -0400)

Sam LaCroix, a Seattle fast-food worker and college dropout, discovers that he is a necromancer, part of a world of harbingers, werewolves, satyrs, and one particular necromancer who sees Sam as a threat to his lucrative business of raising the dead.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,901,276 books! | Top bar: Always visible