Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Lish McBride

Member:alwright1
Title:Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Authors:Lish McBride
Info:Square Fish (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:fiction, fantasy, young adult, paranormal, urban-fantasy

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride (2010)

Monster by A. Lee Martinez (kaledrina)
    Drink, Slay, Love by Sarah Beth Durst (kaledrina)
    Death & Co. by D. J. McCune (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: YA urban fantasy that deals with a family who are guides to the Afterlife, except one young family member discovers that not all is as it seems and someone is working to destroy everything he knows
    Croak by Gina Damico (LongDogMom)
    LongDogMom: Both YA, one dealing with a teen reaper and one with a teen necromancer
    Fat Vampire: A Never Coming of Age Story by Adam Rex (kaledrina)
    City of Glass by Cassandra Clare (staceylouise)

I enjoyed this one. It was funny at times, and then a little disturbing. A good mix.
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
OK, by the end I was interested, and I'd actually like to see what happens in the next book. But the first 25% was completely odd, disjointed and ridiculous. (Really? A talking severed head? I get that it's YA fiction, but seriously--give your readers a little more credit.)

I think the novel's biggest problem was that I didn't find the antagonist at all threatening--just overtly bloodthirsty, but without any kind of motivation to get the reader emotionally involved. Once Brid came on the scene, though, I felt the story start pulling together. It was still kind of a "boy" novel, but a more cohesive read, and far more complex and interesting. ( )
  fefferbooks | May 12, 2014 |
Clever and amusing; a great start to a series. Thank heavens for some mage/ werewolf adventures with no sparkly vampires or brooding heroes. Loved the chapter headings! ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Local library

Samhain ‘Sam’ Corvus LaCroix is a college drop out working in a fast food place with his best friend Ramon when a potato turns his life upside down. Yep, a potato. A spud, a tater, a po-tay-to. If it hadn’t been for that sneaky tuber then Sam may have continued his clueless drifting for a very long time. Instead, he meets Douglas Montgomery, crazy sociopath and mega powerful necromancer. Turns out, Sam is also a necromancer and Douglas does not like to share his territory with any other necromancer even one as weak in power as Sam, so he gives Sam a week to leave town, become his apprentice or die. Not good options there and the messenger he sent to Sam’s apartment? That is messed up. Sam’s running out of time while he tries to figure out what is going on, dodge the cops and stay alive.

I went into this book without a lot of expectations. I saw a lot of book blogging friends had read it and the blurb sounded interesting, but it still took awhile to get on my radar and then longer for me to actually read it. However, once I started it I couldn’t put it down. I like books about people who have no idea they are something else entirely. And Sam’s situation is one I haven’t seen before in all the books I’ve read. The world, the characters, the villains and the plot are all riveting. I did wonder why Douglas wanted to train Sam at all. With his massive ego and paranoia about having anyone in his territory with any kind of power I didn’t see the point though it made for a good plot device. The end has me wondering though. Did Douglas pull a Voldemort? Hmmmm… ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jan 19, 2014 |
To my mother:

my anchor, my buoy,

and my star to sail 'er by.
I stood in front of today's schedule still holding my skateboard, still drenched from the ride over, and still desperately wishing I hadn't dropped out of college.
Do you think ... Little Red Riding Hood would have learned a damn thing if she hadn't wandered off to pick some flowers?

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:48 -0400)

Sam LaCroix, a Seattle fast-food worker and college dropout, discovers that he is a necromancer, part of a world of harbingers, werewolves, satyrs, and one particular necromancer who sees Sam as a threat to his lucrative business of raising the dead.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible