Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer (original 2010; edition 2012)

by Lish McBride

587None16,939 (4.08)57
Member:alwright1
Title:Hold Me Closer, Necromancer
Authors:Lish McBride
Info:Square Fish (2012), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 368 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Tags:fiction, fantasy, young adult, paranormal, urban-fantasy

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride (2010)

2011 (11) death (8) fantasy (52) fiction (29) friendship (5) ghosts (12) horror (21) humor (29) identity (7) library (7) magic (30) necromancer (26) necromancy (22) own (5) paranormal (40) read in 2011 (6) romance (6) Seattle (16) series (6) supernatural (33) teen (8) to-read (49) urban fantasy (31) werewolves (55) wishlist (6) witches (19) YA (44) young adult (49) young adult fiction (11) zombies (12)

Clever and amusing; a great start to a series. Thank heavens for some mage/ werewolf adventures with no sparkly vampires or brooding heroes. Loved the chapter headings! ( )
  Turrean | Feb 15, 2014 |
*Book source ~ Local library

Samhain ‘Sam’ Corvus LaCroix is a college drop out working in a fast food place with his best friend Ramon when a potato turns his life upside down. Yep, a potato. A spud, a tater, a po-tay-to. If it hadn’t been for that sneaky tuber then Sam may have continued his clueless drifting for a very long time. Instead, he meets Douglas Montgomery, crazy sociopath and mega powerful necromancer. Turns out, Sam is also a necromancer and Douglas does not like to share his territory with any other necromancer even one as weak in power as Sam, so he gives Sam a week to leave town, become his apprentice or die. Not good options there and the messenger he sent to Sam’s apartment? That is messed up. Sam’s running out of time while he tries to figure out what is going on, dodge the cops and stay alive.

I went into this book without a lot of expectations. I saw a lot of book blogging friends had read it and the blurb sounded interesting, but it still took awhile to get on my radar and then longer for me to actually read it. However, once I started it I couldn’t put it down. I like books about people who have no idea they are something else entirely. And Sam’s situation is one I haven’t seen before in all the books I’ve read. The world, the characters, the villains and the plot are all riveting. I did wonder why Douglas wanted to train Sam at all. With his massive ego and paranoia about having anyone in his territory with any kind of power I didn’t see the point though it made for a good plot device. The end has me wondering though. Did Douglas pull a Voldemort? Hmmmm… ( )
  AVoraciousReader | Jan 19, 2014 |
All of the chapter titles are plays on songs. They are all awesome and will all get stuck in your head. ( )
  tealightful | Sep 24, 2013 |
I had the hardest time writing this review, and I just decided to go ahead and post it knowing that I would never do the awesomeness of this book justice.

This hysterical, scary, offbeat story about a slacker discovering his necromancer powers feels tailor-made for my tastes. For weird elements, it is a veritable cornucopia. It contains: a talking head, a (benign) zombie panda, a talking cat (who is actually a mini-dragon), homicidal lawn ornaments, sassy ghosts who love waffles, witches, weres, and an evil necromancer who makes his revenants do calisthenics just to prove a point. The book could have been a disaster, with too many quirky elements to succeed, but it has such heart that it works.

I know this is terrible, but I often think of books in relation to television and movies. Probably because the only thing I do more than read is watch stuff. I think this is a mix of other witty but frightening and surprisingly touching horror-comedies, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Reaper, and Dead Like Me. IÛªm sure I could come up with more, but you get the point.

One minute Sam is deep-frying inappropriate things at Plumpy‰Ûªs, the fast food joint where he works, and playing potato hockey with his co-workers and friends Ramon, Brooke, and Frank; the next, he‰Ûªs being called out by a necromancer (Douglas, who Sam calls a ‰ÛÏmadman in pressed jeans‰Û) and forced to deal with the fact that his mother has lied to him for years about his powers as a ‰ÛÏdeath wrangler‰Û.

Right from the outset, Sam was my kind of guy, when he wondered at how humankind spent thousands of years developing complex language systems only to create a cash register with pictures on it, ‰ÛÏjust in case the cashier didn‰Ûªt finish second grade‰Û. My feelings of love were cemented during the zoo scene, when he mentions that he never watches the news because ‰ÛÏthey just don‰Ûªt make very good episodes of it anymore‰Û. (Also, he doesn‰Ûªt know what‰Ûªs wrong with China, except maybe for some lead paint.) His deadpan, smart ass humor and pop culture references is what makes him so fun to read, but his underlying sweetness ‰ÛÒ his love for his friends and family ‰ÛÒ and his ‰ÛÏwhy me?‰Û plaintiveness is what makes him relatable. Also the fact that he gets the hell beat out of him countless times ‰ÛÒ that really makes you feel for the guy, too.

The other characters are equally awesome and likable, even when they‰Ûªre not in the story much (like hand-wringing Frank and nosy Mrs. W). A couple of them have their own viewpoint chapters (in the third-person; Sam‰Ûªs are always first), and while it‰Ûªs a way for McBride to tell more of the story than we can see from Sam‰Ûªs perspective, it doesn‰Ûªt feel like a cop-out. Sam‰Ûªs relationships matter the most to him, so it stands to reason that the other characters have presence. I found myself really worrying about a couple of them during the story, which has its scary, gory moments in spades. Brid‰Ûªs chapters, the were-hybrid captured by Douglas, are the most compelling outside of Sam‰Ûªs, and I love the casual but caring turn their relationship takes (yes, I am talking about the sex). The only exception is Douglas, who is not supposed to be likable at all; it might have been more interesting if he had even one redeeming feature. The initial chapter from his viewpoint, where we learn his backstory, felt awkward, but none of the other third-person chapters from his viewpoint bothered me.

The ending makes it clear that there will be (or at least, should be) sequels, which fills my heart with glee. I‰Ûªm hoping for more Sam/Brid, for Uncle Nick to appear, for Sam to learn more about his powers (especially as they appear to cause him some mental anguish), for Ramon to be okay after his ‰ÛÏtransition‰Û, and for Sam‰Ûªs half-sisters to make an appearance. I can't wait for more!
  Crowinator | Sep 23, 2013 |
This is a fun series though I picked it up primarily for the title. I do recommend it and I plan to continue the series. ( )
  renrav | Sep 22, 2013 |
To my mother:

my anchor, my buoy,

and my star to sail 'er by.
I stood in front of today's schedule still holding my skateboard, still drenched from the ride over, and still desperately wishing I hadn't dropped out of college.
Do you think ... Little Red Riding Hood would have learned a damn thing if she hadn't wandered off to pick some flowers?

Sam leads a pretty normal life. He may not have the most exciting job in the world, but he’s doing all right—until a fast food prank brings him to the attention of Douglas, a creepy guy with an intense violent streak.

Turns out Douglas is a necromancer who raises the dead for cash and sees potential in Sam. Then Sam discovers he’s a necromancer too, but with strangely latent powers. And his worst nightmare wants to join forces . . . or else.

With only a week to figure things out, Sam needs all the help he can get. Luckily he lives in Seattle, which has nearly as many paranormal types as it does coffee places. But even with newfound friends, will Sam be able to save his skin?

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is a 2011 Bank Street - Best Children's Book of the Year.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:46:48 -0400)

Sam LaCroix, a Seattle fast-food worker and college dropout, discovers that he is a necromancer, part of a world of harbingers, werewolves, satyrs, and one particular necromancer who sees Sam as a threat to his lucrative business of raising the dead.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,467,246 books! | Top bar: Always visible