Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel (edition 2010)

by Jane Austen, Seth Grahame-Smith, Tony Lee (Adapter), Cliff Richards (Illustrator)

1951560,388 (3.22)14
Member:danierenae
Title:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Seth Grahame-Smith, Tony Lee (Adapter), Cliff Richards (Illustrator)
Info:Del Rey (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:*
Tags:jane austen, adaptation, adult comic, young adult comic, classic, zombies, horror, parody, warriors, fighting, re-imagining, georgian period, regency novel

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel by Tony Lee (Adapter)

Recently added byericreeves3, AdmiralSmug, Julita.Floyd, Leahelia, private library, rnmackrn26, bvwest, tkappleton

From Book Obsession: http://bookobsessiongpl.blogspot.com/2012/03/kearstens-book-club-pride-prejudice...

"Despite the fact that only 5 book club members finished the book (yes, we readers threw metaphorical shame stones at 'em), Kearsten's Book Club still managed to have a lively discussion about Pride & Prejudice & Zombies: The Graphic Novel!

Our moderator, Michelle, kicked off Monday's discussion of P & P & Z: the GN with a 'Pride & Prejudice in 2 Minutes' clip (PG-13-ish), to aid those of the group who hadn't read Jane Austen's classic. As Michelle began asking questions, we found that many of us struggled with the same concerns:

- Why were all the women drawn to look exactly the same? All the women of a certain age were so similar that we all had difficulty following the story, wondering which sister was talking/fighting/ripping out ninja hearts.(One book clubber: "Actually, they all annoyed me, so I didn't care which was which.")

- On the subject of ninja hearts: several teens were troubled by Lizzie Bennet's eagerness to do violence. She wants to cut Darcy's throat for insulting her, she rips out a ninja's heart and eats it (poor guy was just following orders!), and constantly reminds EVERYONE that she trained with Shaolin monks this one time at warrior camp. It got annoying.

- What's with all the innuendo?! The Bennet girls love country dances hosted by well-off neighbors, and properly refer to those dances as 'balls.' Repeatedly. And the graphic novel's letterer bolded the word. Every. Time. Not gonna lie - some book club time was spent reading aloud some of those passages, to many, many giggles.

For the most part, the book club wasn't crazy about this selection, though we had a lot of fun discussing it. I did hear one clubber, who hadn't finished it, say during our discussion, "Wow. I really missed a lot!"

If you enjoyed P & P & Z: the GN for the zombie violence, try out some of these Kearsten-approved titles! (Okay, yeah, so maybe other librarians would recommend these titles, too. Stop trying to pretend that I'm not the only librarian that matters to you. Please.)

Intense Zombie Reads for Teens

Ashes by Ilsa Bick. Alex, a resourceful seventeen-year-old running from her incurable brain tumor, Tom, who has left the war in Afghanistan, and Ellie, an angry eight-year-old, join forces after an electromagnetic pulse sweeps through the sky and kills most of the world's population, turning some of those who remain into zombies and giving the others superhuman senses.

The Enemy (and sequel The Dead) by Charlie Higson. After a disease turns everyone over sixteen into brainless, decomposing, flesh-eating creatures, a group of teenagers leave their shelter and set out of a harrowing journey across London to the safe haven of Buckingham Palace.

The Forest of Hands and Teeth (1st in a trilogy) by Carrie Ryan. Through twists and turns of fate, orphaned Mary seeks knowledge of life, love, and especially what lies beyond her walled village and the surrounding forest, where dwell the unconsecrated, aggressive flesh-eating people who were once dead.

Monster Island (Monster trilogy) by David Wellington. It's one month after a global disaster. Manhattan has become Monster Island after a plague has turned all its denizens into shambling, rotting animated corpses, except for a couple who have kept their intelligence and also acquired psychic powers. When an expedition from Africa arrives, composed of teenage girl-soldiers and a former U.N. weapons inspector, the zombie masters mobilize their forces to kill or eat the living humans.

The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell. Zombies have infested a fallen America. A young girl named Temple is on the run. Haunted by her past and pursued by a killer, Temple is surrounded by death and danger, hoping to be set free...She can't remember a time before the zombies, but she does remember an old man who took her in and the younger brother she cared for until the tragedy that set her on a personal journey toward redemption.

Rot and Ruin (and sequel Dust and Decay) by Jonathan Maberry. In a post-apocalyptic world where fences and border patrols guard the few people left from the zombies that have overtaken civilization, fifteen-year-old Benny Imura is finally convinced that he must follow in his older brother's footsteps and become a bounty hunter.

World War Z by Max Brooks. World War Z imagines a Studs Terkel-like character traveling the world to assess the impact of a war between humans and zombies. Though humans have survived "World War Z", many are still haunted by those terrible years. Max Brooks sets out to reveal the people's stories, to tell the true history of what happened." ( )
  kayceel | Aug 12, 2014 |
Another of those books picked up out of curiosity for their popularity. Disappointing, for I failed to find much humor from it. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
The graphic novel doesn't do the mash-up justice. It's all black and white, which surprised me for some reason. The illustrations weren't very distinct at all -- everyone pretty much looks the same. I mean, I'm not a graphic novel reader, so maybe my expectations were just totally off. I wasn't impressed by this though. ( )
1 vote melissarochelle | Mar 31, 2013 |
The graphic novel was slightly better than the book but it was a bit lacking in the zombie genre and just seemed to mainly poke fun at a great classic novel. Contains graphic zombie violence. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 1, 2013 |
I have read Pride and Prejudice, but I have not read the original Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so I can only judge this as a remake, not a remake of a remake. I found parts of this graphic novel to be laugh out loud funny, and I enjoyed the art style. The alternate universe where this story takes place is funny, dark, and compelling enough that I could see myself enjoying a sequel based on it. Some the the attempts to shorten this novel into comic form fell short, and I could see where some of the expository elements were insufficient if one has not read either of the "originals". ( )
  innogenchi | Nov 28, 2012 |
If you’re a Janeite, or even if you’re not, I’m sure you know about the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies craze by now. I’m sure that many of these mashups were in development before PPZ and were released once it was known there was an audience, but many of them have not had the same success as the original. I’m one of the more accepting of the craze myself, but I still find myself rolling my eyes as more and more books join the fray. Having read this graphic novel adaptation of the work that started it all, it seems like an attempt to join in on the cash cow–one that doesn’t seem to have worked quite that well.
added by AustenBlog | editAustenBlog, Trai (Sep 9, 2010)

Lee, TonyAdapterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richards, CliffIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grahame-Smith, SethOriginal work authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the graphic novel adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It shouldn't be combined with the novel from which it was adapted.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345520688, Paperback)

THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER—NOW AN EYE-POPPING GRAPHIC NOVEL OF MANNERS, MORALS, AND BRAIN-EATING MAYHEM

It is known as “the strange plague,” and its unfortunate victims are referred to only as “unmentionables” or “dreadfuls.” All over England, the dead are rising again, and now even the daughters of Britain’s best families must devote their lives to mastering the deadly arts. Elizabeth Bennet is a fearsome warrior whose ability with a sword is matched only by her quick wit and even sharper tongue. But she faces her most formidable foe yet in the haughty, conceited, and somehow strangely attractive Mr. Darcy. As the two lovers meet in the ballroom and on the battlefield, they’ll soon learn that nothing—not even bands of ninjas, hordes of flesh-eating zombies, or disapproving aunts—can stop true love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:04 -0400)

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

119 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,397,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible