Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic…

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel (edition 2010)

by Jane Austen, Tony Lee (Adapter), Cliff Richards (Illustrator), Seth Grahame-Smith

Member:danierenae
Title:Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel
Authors:Jane Austen
Other authors:Tony Lee (Adapter), Cliff Richards (Illustrator), Seth Grahame-Smith
Info:Del Rey (2010), Edition: Original, Paperback, 176 pages
Rating:*
Tags:jane austen, adaptation, adult comic, young adult comic, classic, zombies, horror, parody, warriors, fighting, re-imagining, georgian period, regency novel

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies: The Graphic Novel by Tony Lee (Adapter)

Another of those books picked up out of curiosity for their popularity. Disappointing, for I failed to find much humor from it. ( )
  poonamsharma | Apr 6, 2013 |
The graphic novel doesn't do the mash-up justice. It's all black and white, which surprised me for some reason. The illustrations weren't very distinct at all -- everyone pretty much looks the same. I mean, I'm not a graphic novel reader, so maybe my expectations were just totally off. I wasn't impressed by this though. ( )
1 vote melissarochelle | Mar 31, 2013 |
The graphic novel was slightly better than the book but it was a bit lacking in the zombie genre and just seemed to mainly poke fun at a great classic novel. Contains graphic zombie violence. ( )
  SparklePonies | Mar 1, 2013 |
I have read Pride and Prejudice, but I have not read the original Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so I can only judge this as a remake, not a remake of a remake. I found parts of this graphic novel to be laugh out loud funny, and I enjoyed the art style. The alternate universe where this story takes place is funny, dark, and compelling enough that I could see myself enjoying a sequel based on it. Some the the attempts to shorten this novel into comic form fell short, and I could see where some of the expository elements were insufficient if one has not read either of the "originals". ( )
  innogenchi | Nov 28, 2012 |
A very silly book, adapted from what I understand is also a very silly book, not having read Seth Grahame-Smith's novel. Taking the graphic novel as a concentrated dose, I surmise that all enjoyment is derived from the zombie-related plot-points, as the character interactions and the plot of manners is skipped over in favor of bawdy puns and bloody battles.

Replacing Elizabeth and Mr. Bennet's enjoyment of human folly with blood-thirsty warrior codes and tempers devoid of humor was not a development I had anticipated.

The art is very fluid, and if the faces could be a reliable way of identifying characters, the visual narrative would have been quite entertaining. As it is, only Jane Bennet is distinguishable from her sisters and mother, by virtue of being rendered as brunette rather than blond. While characters were indistinguishable, individual panels were beautifully composed, and rendered, providing excellent illustration to the story, if no narrative drive of their own. ( )
  storyjunkie | Nov 12, 2012 |
If you’re a Janeite, or even if you’re not, I’m sure you know about the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies craze by now. I’m sure that many of these mashups were in development before PPZ and were released once it was known there was an audience, but many of them have not had the same success as the original. I’m one of the more accepting of the craze myself, but I still find myself rolling my eyes as more and more books join the fray. Having read this graphic novel adaptation of the work that started it all, it seems like an attempt to join in on the cash cow–one that doesn’t seem to have worked quite that well.
added by AustenBlog | editAustenBlog, Trai (Sep 9, 2010)

Lee, TonyAdapterprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Richards, CliffIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Grahame-Smith, SethOriginal work authorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
This is the graphic novel adaptation of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. It shouldn't be combined with the novel from which it was adapted.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345520688, Paperback)

THE NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER—NOW AN EYE-POPPING GRAPHIC NOVEL OF MANNERS, MORALS, AND BRAIN-EATING MAYHEM

It is known as “the strange plague,” and its unfortunate victims are referred to only as “unmentionables” or “dreadfuls.” All over England, the dead are rising again, and now even the daughters of Britain’s best families must devote their lives to mastering the deadly arts. Elizabeth Bennet is a fearsome warrior whose ability with a sword is matched only by her quick wit and even sharper tongue. But she faces her most formidable foe yet in the haughty, conceited, and somehow strangely attractive Mr. Darcy. As the two lovers meet in the ballroom and on the battlefield, they’ll soon learn that nothing—not even bands of ninjas, hordes of flesh-eating zombies, or disapproving aunts—can stop true love.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:04 -0400)

A mysterious plague has fallen upon the quiet English village of Meryton--and the dead are returning to life! Feisty heroine Elizabeth Bennet is determined to wipe out the zombie menace, but she's soon distracted by the arrival of the haughty and arrogant Mr. Darcy.… (more)

119 wanted1 pay1 pay

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,495,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible