When Pleasure Rules by J.K. Beck

When Pleasure Rules

by J.K. Beck

Series: Shadow Keepers (2)

I really loved the first book of this series, "When Blood Calls." I really liked this one. So no real love here, but it is a good book in a good series. The two main characters, Lissa and Rand, are both appealing and well-written -- especially as a duo. There was plenty of chemistry, to keep things lively, and complexity, to keep things interesting. The story was also nicely paced from cover to cover, and I never grew bored. Best of all, just enough attention was given to the "supporting" characters, building anticipation for the next and future books of this series.

I have to say, I've always liked this author's work when writing as Julie Kenner, but this new series is easily better -- better characters, better writing, better stories. I hope this series goes far. ( )
  TheBooknerd | Oct 17, 2010 |
After reading When Blood Calls I was anxious to start reading When Pleasure Rules , sadly it didn't live up to When Blood Calls for me. I excepted When Pleasure Rules be as good if not better When Blood Calls .

Honestly I am not really sure the reason I didn't care for When Pleasure Rules . I would have to say that at least part of the reason was I didn't fall in love with the main characters. Honestly I really didn't care for either of them. I didn't find Rand and Lissa to be likable.

Lissa is a succubus who owned a business of trading souls. I really wanted to like her, she tried to save her fellow succubi from people that wanted to abuse them but I felt she went about it the wrong way, by blackmailing people. I also didn't feel any passion for what she does, or how she lives her life. I really needed more spark form her.

Rand, was supposed to be a reformed bad boy, but I didn't see it. He killed people for his boss, and didn't care. I liked Rand until I read that he killed his wife's killer because she belonged to him, and no one takes what is his. He didn't love his wife, or even care about her if he thought of her as a possession.

There were times I honestly just wanted to put When Pleasures Rule down, but I stuck with it because I really enjoyed When Blood Calls . I feel that if the characters had been more likable, and I could really feel them that I would have been able to get into When Pleasure Rules . The one thing I really liked about When Pleasure Rules is that we got to see some of the characters from When Blood Calls, such as Sara, Luke, and Doyle. Hopefully When Wicked Craves will be better. ( )
  MDobson84 | Oct 9, 2010 |

J.K. Beckprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nielsen, CliffCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

"Seven innocents have been brutally murdered in Los Angeles, yet the Shadow Alliance has no suspects and no leads. As the body count mounts, the age-old feud between vampires and werewolves threatens to explode. Lissa Monroe--a strong-willed, ravishing succubus who entices men to surrender their souls--agrees to go undercover for the Alliance. Her mission: infiltrate the mind of werewolf leader Vincent Rand, a ferociously alluring enemy who exerts a powerful hold over her..."--P. [4] of cover.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,561,321 books! | Top bar: Always visible