This Is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging…

This Is Getting Old: Zen Thoughts on Aging with Humor and Dignity

by Susan Moon

A good friend fell in love with this book and loaned it to me, thinking I'd love it too.
I didn't.
I was expecting wisdom. Instead, I got an autobiography. What incredible self-absorption!
Had possible readers been warned that it's really all about the author, with some watered-down Buddhism thrown in, we could have decided whether or not we were interested. I'll bet the Buddhists didn't like it any better than I did, and I'm eighty. ( )
  AudrieClifford | Aug 9, 2014 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Great thoughts about living life, at any age, with the added perspective of age. Still, not particularly deep. I think that Who Ordered This Truckload of Dung or many/most things by the Dalai Lama are more beneficial to me, though I believe This Is Getting Old certainly is written in a way that is accessible for most any reader. ( )
  srsstringham | Feb 7, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a good book for someone who is feeling the pinch of aging and needs a friendly voice from someone who has experience. It might be a bit of a scary peek into life as a 60+ year old for someone who is still younger or is in excellent health.
I could easily relate to the experience of becoming mysteriously invisible as one ages. I especially liked the chapter on some of the gifts that aging brings, such as the opportunity to rediscover one's inner tomboy. ( )
  rmyoung | Jan 10, 2011 |
Feeble effort. Shallow and annoying to read. I appreciated her description of deep, long-lasting depression; but again her whining tone re. the sources of her depression was quite pathetic. I too have trod that path and it is impossible to convey the full hell of it. (Susan Moon gives it a very good try). My life circumstances are overwhelmingly more tragic than hers, hence the source of much of my dislike of this book. These books on aging can be treasures, but this isn't one of them. Instead read Florida Maxwell, May Sarton, or for fun, Erma Bombeck. ( )
  C-WHY | Jan 4, 2011 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Thank you Susan Moon! She who was never going to grow old, has certainly found the words, grace, humor and wisdom to have crafted a wonderful collection of essays on the very subject. I am not a Buddhist, nor do I understand Zen, but I was captivated by Susan's ideas, and her courage to be so honest in her own questions about it. This has joined my favorites list, it was an enjoyable read, but one I put down several times to think. I kept thinking I'd like to meet this woman, I think I'd like her. ( )
  EllenH | Oct 28, 2010 |

In this warm and funny collection of essays on the sometimes confusing, sometimes poignant, sometimes hilarious condition of being a woman over sixty, Susan Moon keeps her sense of humor and her reader fully engaged.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

This Is Getting Old by Susan Moon was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,328,014 books! | Top bar: Always visible