SantaThing sign up ends in 45 minutes (23:00 GMT) » Find out more about our bookish Secret Santa!

Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness…

Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoir (edition 2010)

by Mark Vonnegut

Member:labwriter
Title:Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoir
Authors:Mark Vonnegut
Info:Delacorte Press (2010), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 224 pages
Collections:Books read in 2012, Memoir, Your library

Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoir by Mark Vonnegut M.D.

Not interested in father Kurt.  Not interested in Mark's implication that I beat the demon because I was determined to do so, and you can, too."  Not interested in generalizations like "You" and "We" and "People" and "America."  This book helps me understand neither myself, nor my son, nor others I know who have challenges, not one whit more."
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
Vonnegut humor. Dry, tells it like it is - a struggle with mental illness and how things sometimes work out, sometimes they don't. An entertaining read. ( )
  quakerkathleen | Apr 23, 2016 |
I think this is the best book about someone in recovery from mental illness that I ever read. It gives a good picture of a person who is functioning but is still a bit off. It gives me hope that there is recovery after mental illness, even if there isn't full return to life before psychosis. ( )
  KamGeb | May 17, 2014 |
choppy finish but a good read overall ( )
1 vote lilulak | Jan 11, 2014 |
I do believe one needs to be able to laugh at oneself and Mark does this at some of the tougher times in his life. I am not sure this book really helped me to understand what it means to be mentally unstable, but I do know it gave me insight into how art plays a part in the lives of creative people. Another of those 3.75 ratings! ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
The arts are not extracurricular.

More than thirty years after the publication of his acclaimed memoir The Eden Express, Mark Vonnegut continues his remarkable story in this searingly funny, iconoclastic account of coping with mental illness, finding his calling as a pediatrician, and learning that willpower isn't nearly enough. Here is the world after Mark was released from a mental hospital to find his family forever altered. After nineteen rejections, Mark was accepted to Harvard Medical School, where he gained purpose, a life, and some control over his condition. Ultimately a tribute to the small, daily, and positive parts of a life interrupted by bipolar disorder, this is a wise, unsentimental, and inspiring book that will resonate with generations of readers.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So by Mark Vonnegut was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,652,388 books! | Top bar: Always visible