Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness…

Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoir (edition 2010)

by Mark Vonnegut

1992959,376 (3.66)25
Member:labwriter
Title:Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoir
Authors:Mark Vonnegut
Info:
Collections:Books read in 2012, Memoir, Your library

Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoir by Mark Vonnegut M.D.

I think this is the best book about someone in recovery from mental illness that I ever read. It gives a good picture of a person who is functioning but is still a bit off. It gives me hope that there is recovery after mental illness, even if there isn't full return to life before psychosis. ( )
  KamGeb | May 17, 2014 |
choppy finish but a good read overall ( )
1 vote lilulak | Jan 11, 2014 |
I do believe one needs to be able to laugh at oneself and Mark does this at some of the tougher times in his life. I am not sure this book really helped me to understand what it means to be mentally unstable, but I do know it gave me insight into how art plays a part in the lives of creative people. Another of those 3.75 ratings! ( )
  lindap69 | Apr 5, 2013 |
In the interval between The Eden Express and the present memoir, Vonnegut's diagnosis has shifted from schizophrenia to bipolar disorder. This isn't surprising for two reasons: 1) He responded well to lithium, which today we generally understand as tipping the scales toward a bipolar diagnosis; and 2) schizophrenia is a garbage category for a lot of disorders that include psychosis (and in my opinion, may not be etiologically related). These days, there's a lot less hebephrenic schizophrenia and a lot more bipolar II.

The Eden Express makes more sense as a narrative of manic and depressive episodes (leavened with a plethora of recreational substances). It's wild, fast, roller coaster-like. The author is not in consensual reality for much of the story. By contrast, Just like Someone Without Mental Illness Only Moreso is a normalized book, slower and perhaps less interesting, although the contrast over time is fascinating. Read the two together as a really good look at how disruptive unchecked bipolar disorder can be.
1 vote OshoOsho | Mar 30, 2013 |
The first part of this book, stories of the author's childhood, was interesting, but overall the book did not fulfill its promise. I would have expected more about the challenges of getting through medical school while dealing with his illness. Perhaps the author's point is that he is/was "sane" except during his four identified breaks with reality, but his writing in portions of the book seem to belie that. ( )
  cherilove | Mar 5, 2012 |
The arts are not extracurricular.

More than thirty years after the publication of his acclaimed memoir The Eden Express, Mark Vonnegut continues his remarkable story in this searingly funny, iconoclastic account of coping with mental illness, finding his calling as a pediatrician, and learning that willpower isn't nearly enough. Here is the world after Mark was released from a mental hospital to find his family forever altered. After nineteen rejections, Mark was accepted to Harvard Medical School, where he gained purpose, a life, and some control over his condition. Ultimately a tribute to the small, daily, and positive parts of a life interrupted by bipolar disorder, this is a wise, unsentimental, and inspiring book that will resonate with generations of readers.--From publisher description.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So by Mark Vonnegut was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,363,463 books! | Top bar: Always visible