Warped by Maurissa Guibord
2101955,654 (3.75)7

Warped is a nice little book. It's a young adult novel but contained most of the fantasy elements without any annoying aspects of urban fantasy. The finer point being put on nice since the book did not address any of the nastier aspects of falling in love with someone from the fifteen century. I've read books where the time warp from fifty years ago yielded more problems regarding inequality, racism, class or sexism. The book being young adult rather than urban fantasy spared us the trope of lairds taking their women for example.
[If you like that sort of thing that might be a drawback.]

Not to regurgitate the plot [that is only a good thing when a bird does it] but Tessa's dad owns his own bookshop. They get an evil witch's unicorn tapestry and diary by mistake at an auction.
Tessa starts to have nightmares about the glaring unicorn on the tapestry about him being hunted by villagers. The unicorn was really a noblemen whose life essence is stolen by a weaver.
I imagined the unicorn to look like Prince Blueblood from My Little Pony.

The book had it's fun moments from the villain, the Grey Lady, that reminded me fondly of a soap opera villain. She used her time and wealth on being a pop star among other things. I didn't feel sorry for her since I don't think anyone needs to live five centuries but time did suck for people back then.
The Norne, who are in control of weaving the threads of fate were interesting characters as well. I particularly enjoyed their misplaced blame on Tessa and interference of her life. ( )
  peptastic | Nov 24, 2013 |
RATING: 3 stars.

There are books that disappoint you terribly because you had high expectations; books you find were better then you expected because you had low or no expectations; and then there are those books that you like in spite of knowing they aren't that good. For me, "Warped" fits into the third category. While I read it I catalogued all it's flaws: weak characters, insta-romance, unrealistic premise and weak story. But... I still liked it. Because I also saw potential.

Now, I'm no professional judge of books and what is good or bad literature. I can merely give an opinion about a book, write about what I 'feel' would have worked better. It's a mostly subjective view although I do try to focus on character development, world-building and plot complexity. Which means that even if I liked a book I'll always find flaws. But even this attempt at objectivity doesn't always work.

All this to say it didn't work with "Warped". I liked the author's voice even if I thought she could have written a much better book. If only she had developed her characters better and had taken her story in a different direction.

"Warped" is a story about a girl and a tapestry. Tessa (the protagonist) comes into possession of an ancient tapestry that depicts a unicorn. She feels there is something strange about it but it's still very surprised when she pulls a thread and a guy pops out of the tapestry. He is William de Chaucy, 16th century noble, who was imprisoned within in order to provide the gift of eternal youth to the owner of the tapestry (who is, of course, a witch).

On the whole not a very exciting story. I found the plot simplistic and unbelievable, the characters too stereotyped and the romance flat and too instantaneous for my taste. Basically "Warped" has all the major flaws that your typical YA paranormal romance has. So why did it stand out for me? Because of the potential for more. Because of the Fates/Norns and the fact that the author hinted that Tessa was more than she appeared.

Overall: "Warped" is a very typical YA fantasy book. It definitely won't stand out; it's not even that good. Still I think Guibord intends to do more with the plot and characters so while this first book wasn't brilliant I think the concept can evolve into a great story. I am considering this an introductory book and hoping the second will be more intricate and complex. ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
Review courtesy of Dark Faerie Tales.

Quick & Dirty: This was a beautifully woven tale, filled with fun characters, a good plot, sweet romance and a wonderful middle age/modern day setting.

Opening Sentence: On a hillside stood three figures.

The Review:

Tessa is a 17 year old girl that has never really believed in fate. She lives with her father and her mother passed away 4 years ago in a terrible car accident. Tessa’s father owns a book shop and he has just recently attended an auction where he got a few old books a beautiful tapestry of a unicorn. Her dad gives her the tapestry and soon after she starts to have very vivid dreams about a brutal hunt for a unicorn and things from the past. Hundreds of years ago 7 life threads were stolen from the Fates and weaved into the tapestry that Tessa now owns. One day she finds a loose thread and decides to pull it out, and she releases a terrible secret. She also happens to release William de Chaucy, a gorgeous nobleman from the 16th century, who has been stuck in the tapestry all these years. Now Will and Tessa have to correct the wrongs of the past, but time is running out. The Fates have discovered that Tessa has the missing threads in her possession and they think that she is the one that stole them. If she can’t give them back in time everything she loves will be destroyed.

Tessa is our heroine in this book and she was a likable character. She has a stubborn streak in her but she is very sensible most of the time. She loves to read (which I loved of course). She is also an artist, but she really hasn’t done much since her mother passed away. She is faced with a lot of tough decisions throughout the book but she faces them head on and doesn’t shy away from a challenge. I felt that she was a strong protagonist and I really enjoyed reading her story.

Will is handsome, arrogant and chivalrous all rolled into one. He totally captivated me right from the first moment I met him. He grew up in a time where he was a lord and he is use to people doing what he says. When he meets Tessa she is stubborn and so different from any of the girls from his time, but she is also slightly familiar. Will and Tessa have great chemistry and they are really cute together. Will is a total gentleman and he just made me swoon. I definitely fell in love with him right along with Tessa.

First off, I just have to say that I love books that have a historical setting mixed with modern day. Warped was a really fun read for me. The characters were very charming and fun to get to know. There is good action with a fun and an interesting plot. The romance was sweet and really well developed. Warped was a nicely woven tale, intermixing fantasy, myth, and the middle ages. The story really kept me intrigued the whole way through and I had a hard time putting it down. This is the first book that I have read by Guibord, but it will definitely not be my last. I would highly recommend this to anyone that likes YA fantasy books with a medieval twist to it.

Notable Scene:

A young man crouched on the floor beside her, gasping for breath and shaking. Tessa stared as he raised his head to look at her. Dark blonde hair fell in coarse tangles across his forehead and reached to his shoulders. His eyes, an intense, startling golden brown, were ringed with dark lashes.

Tessa was so surprised, her scream came out only as a strangled gasp. She scuttled backward, away from him, and scrambled to her feet. Her heart was pounding. “Okay, wake up,” Tessa told herself. “Wake up.”

The guy stared at her. He was panting in deep, heaving breaths, as if he’d been running. He stood. He was tall, and dressed in a gray cloak and suede pants and boots; all were torn and muddy. His lean, tanned face was dirty too, and he had an ugly gash down one cheek.

FTC Advisory: Delacorte Books for Young Readers/Random House provided me with a copy of Warped. No goody bags, sponsorships, “material connections,” or bribes were exchanged for my review. ( )
  DarkFaerieTales | Jun 13, 2013 |
I received Warped as a gift from my brother, along with some other books. He checked out my “want-to-read” list, and stated that he decided to go with the one with the best cover (yeah, I know “don’t judge a book by its cover” … it just does not apply to him). It was a choice out of the many that I would have like to read, so it doesn’t really matter which ones he’d have chosen, I would have liked it regardless. But, I am glad Warped was picked.

Just the perfect stand-alone read!

It is extremely hard to find a good YA read-on-its-own book now and days (maybe it’s just me), and I am glad that Maurissa Guibord decided not to stretch the story any further; it just would not work out.

Fate … Magic …these two words are not in Tessa Brody’s dictionary… at least … it wasn’t until a magical tapestry changes all she had ever believed in. Strange things have begun to happen-there’s unexplained evil lurking around, and along with it all, she meets William de Chaucy-young, gorgeous, beautiful-haunting-familiar eyes, and although arrogant from time to time, still mesmerizing. Oh, not to mention he’s from the sixteenth-century. Weird, is an understatement. Together they will uncover hidden past and secrets that will put their lives in danger.

Like and dislikes

A fantasy book of fate, time-travel, romance, family concerns, and ancient evil, perfectly woven together, it is deserving of a 5/5 stars rating! As I was reflecting on what I have read, there was nothing that I really disliked. The plot and pacing of the book was perfect and the ending was wrapped up nicely. For a short read, Maurissa Guibord made sure to keep things moving along, but at the same time making sure things aren’t rushed; which tends to happen in a three-hundred something page book.

Would I recommend it?

I’m already thinking about re-reading it, so yes, I would definitely recommend it!

Happy reading:) ( )
  starryeyedheart | Jan 6, 2013 |
I'll admit, it was the mention of a unicorn that attracted me to WARPED, so I was totally unprepared for the epic storyline that I discovered within the covers of this debut novel.

After reading just a few pages of WARPED, in which the Fates examine and manipulate the threads of life they rule over, I was completely dedicated to finding out what would happen next. The Fates have always fascinated me and Guibord's unique treatment of the related mythology was exceedingly clever. The idea that someone might steal life threads from The Fates for their own nefarious use... ingenious!

To add to the mayhem, Tessa finds herself falling for William de Chaucy, who is as alluring as he is maddening. I enjoyed the push and pull between these characters. They both have strong personalities that don't always mesh and neither controls the other... they're very much equals.

WARPED is one of the most creative YA contemporary fantasy novels I've ever read. Guibord combines magic, time travel, and mythology to create a fantastic story with a convincing villain and a much deserved happily ever after. ( )
  thehidingspot | Mar 31, 2012 |

Tessa doesn't believe in magic. Or Fate. But there's something weird about the dusty unicorn tapestry she discovers in a box of old books. She finds the creature woven within it compelling and frightening. After the tapestry comes into her possession, Tessa experiences dreams of the past and scenes from a brutal hunt that she herself participated in. When she accidentally pulls a thread from the tapestry, Tessa releases a terrible centuries old secret. She also meets William de Chaucy, an irresistible 16th-century nobleman. His fate is as inextricably tied to the tapestry as Tessa's own. Together, they must correct the wrongs of the past. But then the Fates step in, making a tangled mess of Tessa's life. Now everyone she loves will be destroyed unless Tessa does their bidding and defeats a cruel and crafty ancient enemy.

From the Trade Paperback edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:42:25 -0400)

When seventeen-year-old Tessa Brody comes into possession of an ancient unicorn tapestry, she is plummeted into sixteenth-century England, where her life is intertwined with that of a handsome nobleman who is desperately trying to escape a terrible fate.… (more)

Maurissa Guibord is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,618,809 books! | Top bar: Always visible