The Pumpkin Muffin Murder by Livia J.…

The Pumpkin Muffin Murder

by Livia J. Washburn

59None199,414 (3.77)8

I was very, very surprised when this book got instant 5/5 status as soon as the climax was threatening to be revealed. I was confident that it would be a solid work of literature. But though the premise of a festival was again used, it didn't feel forced or repetitive. I liked how the author alerts us that something important has just transacted, but in the final reveal that moment was not mentioned again. However the book did enough to elevate itself above its usual fare, and now I have better hopes for the successors in this quite delightful series. I recommend this book to anyone who likes a well paced and thrilling book. ( )
  Jiraiya | Apr 10, 2014 |
I read the Pumpkin Muffin Murder by Livia J. Washburn not at Thanksgiving time when it was set but at the beginning of the New Year. I did feel connected with the main character, Phyllis Newman. She is in her late sixties light me and even thinks like me!Phyllis lives in Weatherford, Texas and I live in North Texas so we have a lot in common.

I really enjoyed her time with Bobby her grandson along with all the boarders, in particular, Sam Fletcher. Felt right at home in her boarding house.

The author knows how to handle a cozy mystery. She made me feel comfortable with all the characters even the murderer! My mouth kept watering for her pumpkin cheesecake muffins. I also learned that having severe hypoglycemia puts you at risk for a heart attack. I knew diabetes did but wasn’t aware of the other.

Hope that Bobby appears in later in this Fresh Baked Mystery Series He was so sweet and inquisitive. The murder weapon was very inventive too!

I would recommend this cozy mystery to all cozy fans that are in their sixties. ( )
  Carolee888 | Jan 5, 2014 |
Pleasant read follwint the adventures of Phyllis and Sam into yet another murder in Weatherford, Texas. This one leaves you guessing until the last few pages, but the denouncement is Holmsian in that the deductions are leaps of faith rather than hard clues. ( )
  DrLed | Mar 10, 2013 |
It’s Thanksgiving in Weatherford, Texas and the residents of the town are celebrating their very first Harvest Festival. Retired schoolteacher and often-time sleuth Phyllis Newsom is taking care of the apple of her eye, grandson Bobby, while his parents go out of town for the holiday. But babysitting for Bobby doesn’t stop Phyllis from baking her special pumpkin, cheesecake muffins for the Harvest Festival. Nor do her grandmotherly responsibilities prevent her from finding another dead body disguised as one of the event’s scarecrows.
The dead body belongs to festival organizer Logan Powell and Phyllis discovers that in life Logan’s body was very busy indeed. He’d been having affairs with at least four of the town’s young, eligible women.
Phyllis tries to stay out of the case—sheriff’s orders—but when the autopsy reveals that Logan died right after eating one of Phyllis’s pumpkin muffins, well, what’s a good cook like Phyllis to do but jump in and solve the case?
Great fun, great recipes, great sleuth. Yummy fun!
Reviewed by Susan Santangelo, author of “Retirement Can Be Murder” for Suspense Magazine ( )
  suspensemag | Oct 12, 2011 |

The fifth in a delectable series fans can't wait to sink their teeth into. Includes fifteen recipes!

The dead body is that of the festival's organizer- and his wife, Carolyn's friend, falls under suspicion. Carolyn turns to Phyllis for help, because who's better at dishing out some justice than a baker extraordinaire who can handle the heat...

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:43:01 -0400)

Phyllis loves to spend quality time with her grandson. She'll be taking him to a festival with hopes of winning the baking contest-now that her friendly competitor, Carolyn, is judging and not competing. But when a decorative scarecrow is actually a dead body in disguise, it's Phyllis's sleuthing skills that are needed. The dead body is that of the festival's organizer- and his wife, Carolyn's friend, falls under suspicion. Carolyn turns to Phyllis for help, because who's better at dishing out some justice than a baker extraordinaire who can handle the heat.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible