Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by…

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2006)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

I read this book in one day. Very well-written and interesting, if not a little unrealistic for a novel about teenagers. Despite this, it was powerful enough that while on a mediocre date I was thinking about how Nick and Norah had so much more chemistry than me and this bearded man from Brooklyn. I finished the book on my train ride home from the date. :) ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
This story grabs you by throat and doesn’t let go. Norah’s character is spot on for the good kid confused by what’s happening around her. Boys, school, demanding friendships –all wrapped up in a blanket of music. I loved seeing the softer side of Nick, — the boy who can quote lines frmo Dirty Dancing right alongside the queercore bassist scene kid. This book captures the fear, confusion and frustration of teenage love beautifully. I particularly liked how the gender lines were blurred –Nick holding hands with Dev, Tris teaching Norah how to kiss –because that is such a true depiction of how boys and girls relate to each other in that scene. My favorite line in the book — “The moshpit doesn’t lie.” One quibble, though. I really liked how Tris was developed as the story went on and how she impacted Nick & Norah’s relationship, but I wish the author had done a little more with Tal, Norah’s ex. We know a lot about Nick’s relationship with Tris, but not so much about Norah & Tal. Of all the books, I think this speaks to contemporary teen life the best. ( )
  patriciau | Dec 27, 2018 |
The book takes place over the course of one night in New York. Teens Nick and Norah meet in a punk rock club. Both have just ended their romantic relationships. There is quite a bit of anguish over their lost romances and quite a lot of discussion about music. But after considerable second-guessing and some distress, Nick and Norah eventually end the evening together.

The book is written in alternating chapters with Rachel Cohn writing the Norah chapters and David Levithan writing the Nick chapters. And even though the book is written for the YA audience, there is an overabundance of foul language. The story while ending happily doesn’t have a great deal of substance. However, I feel rather certain that the story with the theme of love lost and found with some music reference in the mix, offers plenty of appeal to the teenage reader.
  Rdglady | Nov 20, 2018 |
Read in High School
Age 13 (2006) – Age 22 (2015)
  KiTiraShorter | Mar 5, 2018 |
Except for the excessive vulgarities, I think this book is pretty good. I mean it depicted exactly the screwed-up life teenagers can have (which explains the cursing). Still, I felt the chemistry between Nick and Norah :'>

It focused on the present. The past wasn't much explained...too bad. But to think that this book all happened in the course of one long night is amazing. So, yeah. Four stars :) ( )
  heycaye | Feb 14, 2018 |
added by gsc55 | editShitzu Book Reviews (Jul 20, 2015)

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Card, Emily JaniceNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Heyborne, KirbyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Martha and Real Nick
The day begins in the middle of the night.
"Maybe that's it," I say gently. "With what you were talking about before. The world being broken. Maybe it isn't that we're supposed to find the pieces and put them back together. Maybe we're the pieces."
She doesn't reply, but I can tell she's listening carefully. I feel like I'm understanding something for the first time, even if I'm not entirely sure what it is yet.
"Maybe," I say, "what we're supposed to do is come together. That's how we stop the breaking."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037584614X, Paperback)

NOW A MAJOR motion picture starring Michael Cera (Juno and Superbad) and Kat Dennings (The 40 Year-Old Virgin)! Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist is a comedy about two teens thrust together for one hilarious, sleepless night of adventure in a world of mix tapes, late-night living, and, live, loud music. Nick frequents New York’s indie rock scene nursing a broken heart and Norah is questioning all of her assumptions about the world. Though they have nothing in common except for their taste in music, their chance encounter leads to an all-night quest to find a legendary band’s secret show and ends up becoming the first date that could change both their lives.

From YA fan-favorites Rachel Cohn and David Levithan comes the story of Nick and Norah. This movie tie-in edition also includes an 8-page photo insert from the film, as well as a map of Manhattan, detailing all of the sites Nick and Norah go to on their all-night date.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:45 -0400)

High school student Nick O'Leary, member of a rock band, meets college-bound Norah Silverberg and asks her to be his girlfriend for five minutes in order to avoid his ex-sweetheart.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,567,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible