Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel…

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (edition 2008)

by Rachel Cohn, David Levithan

Info:Ember (2008), Edition: MTI, Paperback, 183 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:music, relationships, New York City

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn

An adorable, sappy, punk rock, teenage romance that takes place in the span of one night. Nick is desperate, his ex-girlfriend the evil wench that broke his heart is at the club where his band is playing and he can't face her. She's already moved on, has a new boyfriend and he can't stop moping. When he sees her approaching him he turns to a random girl he doesn't know and pleads, "Will you please be my girlfriend for the next five minutes?" Thus starts a long night of punk music, burlesque nuns, disappointment, heartbreak, and ultimately, hope. I really hope the movie does this edgy provocative book justice because I really enjoyed it. The story is told in alternating viewpoints from both Nick and Norah. ( )
  ecataldi | Apr 30, 2016 |
This review is based on the audiobook version.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist makes the list of novels that I wish I hadn't wasted hours of my life on, which surprises me because the reviews are generally good. The reviews also informed me that I would find this book hilarious. And, maybe I would have if I hadn't been so busy counting the number of times in which "f*ck" was used to see if it was repeated more than "the." It was a tie. Now, I don't believe in censoring one's language when writing, but "f*ck" was used more in this novel than in all of the war novels, Godfather novels, and crime novels combined that I've ever read (and that's a lot), which led me to accept that it was being used pretentiously and that word, pretentious, pretty much encapsulates this novel.

(This would be that YA novel that Ruth Graham from Slate told you you should be embarrassed to read. It's definitely not intended for a mature audience.)

To be fair, and demonstrate why I bothered giving it two stars, there were a few good moments, a few insights, but they were mostly from Nick's point-of-view. He could express a coherent philosophy that moved beyond appearances and gender and explored an outer world experience while Norah seemed to be stuck in the superficial, the world of boys and looks (stereotyping what people believe a teenage girl is), which is probably why her character would utter the, again pretentious, statement that the Beatles were overrated.

So, maybe if I were a youngish, I would treasure this book as a testament to the "awesomeness" of my generation, but then again, maybe not, hopefully not because I would like to think that the young me even valued something more than instant gratification. ( )
  SaschaD | Apr 28, 2016 |
I read Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist a long time ago I want to say about six years ago, I had been wanting to re-read it luckily for me it came out as my TBR jar book of the month.

It is definitely a quick pace, fast read I literally finished it in a day. You should be warned that the language is vulgar so if you’re not into having the f bomb thrown around a lot then you may find this a bit over the top.

Our Story
Nick is still not over his ex Tris who broke his heart like three weeks, three days and 23 hours and 5 minutes ago [he is really counting]. When he sees her at a club after his band just performed with her new boyfriend, he does the only thing he can think of. He asks the girl standing next to him if she would pretend to be his girlfriend for five minutes. Five minutes that’s all he needs.

And so the story begins.

Like I mentioned in the beginning, this book is a fast and easy read and a bit vulgar. It is a bit crazy for all this to happen in seriously one night. But still it’s a fun read.

I loved how music was incorporated. I didn’t know much about the songs mentioned but I did like how both characters were into music and how it really played out in the story.

I did think it was a bit over the top and bit corny. I mean that’s one hell of night, I’m kinda jealous.

Our Characters
Nick
Nick is the guy who just experienced his first heartbreak. He is also the only straight guy in all gay band. But is also sweet, a little romantic and kind of shy. He’s the kind of guy to write love songs about you. Like what girl wouldn’t fall for that?

Norah
She’s a bit rough around the edges. She’s sarcastic. She’s awesome. I really liked how she wasn’t afraid to be a fool and say silly things in front of Nick. You see her grow from being a bit side offish to finally breaking out of her shell.

Overall
It is a bit over the top and has a cheesy romance that all happens in one night. But if you are looking for a fast quick read then go on and pick this up. And watch the movie when you’re done. ( )
  tina_thebookworm | Feb 12, 2016 |
This wasn't a bad book, I just hated the extreme overuse of the f-word and some of the sexual references were too explicit for my tastes. However, the storyline was fun and I enjoyed the alternating perspectives of Norah and Nick as they told their story. This might be one of these rare times where the movie is better than the book!? For older teens only! ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jan 23, 2016 |
Better than the movie, no Michael Cera for starters. ( )
  Superenigmatix | Jan 16, 2016 |
added by gsc55 | editShitzu Book Reviews (Jul 20, 2015)

Rachel Cohnprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Levithan, Davidmain authorall editionsconfirmed
To Martha and Real Nick
The day begins in the middle of the night.
"Maybe that's it," I say gently. "With what you were talking about before. The world being broken. Maybe it isn't that we're supposed to find the pieces and put them back together. Maybe we're the pieces."
She doesn't reply, but I can tell she's listening carefully. I feel like I'm understanding something for the first time, even if I'm not entirely sure what it is yet.
"Maybe," I say, "what we're supposed to do is come together. That's how we stop the breaking."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 037584614X, Paperback)

NOW A MAJOR motion picture starring Michael Cera (Juno and Superbad) and Kat Dennings (The 40 Year-Old Virgin)! Nick and Norah’s Infinite Playlist is a comedy about two teens thrust together for one hilarious, sleepless night of adventure in a world of mix tapes, late-night living, and, live, loud music. Nick frequents New York’s indie rock scene nursing a broken heart and Norah is questioning all of her assumptions about the world. Though they have nothing in common except for their taste in music, their chance encounter leads to an all-night quest to find a legendary band’s secret show and ends up becoming the first date that could change both their lives.

From YA fan-favorites Rachel Cohn and David Levithan comes the story of Nick and Norah. This movie tie-in edition also includes an 8-page photo insert from the film, as well as a map of Manhattan, detailing all of the sites Nick and Norah go to on their all-night date.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:02:45 -0400)

High school student Nick O'Leary, member of a rock band, meets college-bound Norah Silverberg and asks her to be his girlfriend for five minutes in order to avoid his ex-sweetheart.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,514,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible