Sewing a Friendship by Natalie Tinti

Sewing a Friendship

by Natalie Tinti

851,035,133 (4.4)None

This is a great book for kids of all ages, especially girls, since it really expands on the subject of friendship in a very playful & exciting manner. ( )
  Natalie-Tinti | Dec 12, 2012 |
Sewing a Friendship, by Natalie Tinti , is a wonderful inspiring story with lessons in friendship. In this chapter book you will find four sweet 7 year olds girls planning a PINK SLEEPOVER, and preparing for a fashion show. The author has written a story using whimsical names such as, Sokron Blossom, Nina Key, Meeka Venya, and Jonsy Jipsy. With character names like these you can imagine how special this story is going to be. The girls decide to participate in a fashion show and begin to sew the clothes themselves. But, there is one problem, only 9-year-olds are allowed to model in the show and they need five participants. The four girls befriend Kiki Shaver, a 9 year-old they thought was not a nice girl.

The characters get to know Kiki, become friends and work together to accomplish their goals. The fashion show turns out to be a big success and they learn valuable lessons in friendship. I particularly like the beginning of the book where you will find an introduction to all the characters. Each character is outlined with information about their birthday, hair color, favorite food, and specialty just to mention a few. Each profile includes a full page drawing of the character. I know readers will be able to identify with the characters and maybe even imagine that they are one of them.

Did I mention that this book is authored and illustrated by a 10-year-old? Natalie Tinti has written this imaginative story that girls between the ages of 6 and 8 will love reading over and over again. The age appropriate vocabulary used by the author relates to how girls in this age group talk on a daily basis. Kids will relate to this text and will really enjoy the story. Readers will find colorful words and phrases in this story for example, Jonsy’s father asked her what she would like for breakfast and she responds, “I feel like a cherry with vanilla ice-cream, a cup of dragon tea with a yellow umbrella, and a huge hot chocolate cake”. This book is filled with glossy bright original Magna style drawings throughout. I highly recommend this book, and Natalie Tinti will be an author to watch for in the future. ( )
  MichellePoe | May 11, 2011 |
This book is written and illustrated by ten-year-old Natalie Tinti, a girl with a bright and very colourful imagination. Tinti creates a fantasy world where the wind speaks and little seven-year-old girls sew and together produce a fantastic outfit for a fashion show. The theme is centered on the value of friendship, and we are introduced to four unique girls who befriend Kiki, “the meanest girl on the planet” to include her on their team as they prepare for the show.

As a writer myself, I was impressed with Tinti’s ability to create unique characters, from their talents and traits to their distinctive clothes. I especially liked Meeka, the girl who loves math and solving problems. Tinti also brought to life a girly, fun world that I am certain will appeal to young girls. My nine-year-old daughter read this book too and liked it although I think the story was young for her as she is already in the middle-grade level books with older characters. Finally, the original Manga-like drawings are colourful and detailed and match the fantasy world the author created.

There were times when I felt the story was disjointed and a more thorough editing was needed to correct the overall flow of the book and the verb tenses. Otherwise, this is a cute book and story and will appeal to girls between the ages of 5 to 8. I must add that I admire this young writer’s ability to use the elements of story writing (characterization, plot, resolution, etc.) and her bright illustrations to create a unique children’s book. Congratulations, Natalie! ( )
  LauraFabiani | Jan 7, 2011 |
Summer vacation had just started while the wind listened to a group of friends (Sokron Blossom, Meeka Venya, Jonsy Jipsy, Nina Key), all seven (7) years old, discussing their summer plans, a new one was presented to them. They wanted to be a part of the big fashion show, but the problem was they needed a five (5) member team to enter. They were only four (4), but as they were trying to figure out how to fix it, Sokron’s dog, Dogon, took off with the rules for entering. Chasing him down they found another little girl (Kiki Shaver), but she was nine (9) which might work out because one of the rules was that at least one of the team members had to be at least nine (9). So they asked Kiki if she wanted to be a part of the fashion show as one of their team mates. After much thought, Kiki agreed, for one reason she didn’t have many friends so she thought this would be a good place to start making some.

As a story concept, this is a very cute and inspirational one. One member of the team is overcoming a fear of shyness and all of them are looking past some of their preconceived opinions of the others. Mostly I liked how they were all accepted for who they are and they all made the best of each of their own special strengths to make it to the fashion show. The help of Babushka (Grandma) and Dogon was a cute addition to the story, but not entirely necessary. (The nit-pick section of my review is about the grammar), I did find a few spots that should have maybe been corrected, but only a small handful of them. The illustrations on this book are Magna in style, full of color and tie into the story well.

The interesting thing about this book is the fact that it is written and illustrated by a 10 year old. As a writer, she has room to grow (of course) but to be able to articulate herself so well through her story and pictures is just amazing. The book I received shows that it is has already been nominated or received awards from several places. This may be an up and coming author to watch. ( )
  onyx95 | Oct 24, 2010 |
Recently, we were given the opportunity to review a book written by a young author. When we received it, I noted how beautifully done it was. While often the case - we see beautifully written and illustrated books all the time - but how often do they originate from a 10-year-old? "Sewing a Friendship," written by a creative and talented young girl named Natalie Tinti is such a book.

The book formed in Natalie's mind from her own experience when she noticed that many of her classmates and friends were lonely, unhappy and depressed. Natalie came to realize that these kids, including herself, had extremely different opinions and attitudes about the same experiences -- the experiences that make us who we are and how we act toward others.

Natalie's story provides incredible insight about what makes kids interact with others the way they do. Why are bullies, bullies - and why are some kids cruel in ways that hurt and demoralize others who don't deserve it at all? Developing friendships is an area that Natalie Tinti has researched in her own life. In her book, Sewing a Friendship, she tells what great things can happen if kids go that extra mile in giving others a chance.

Tinti's characters in Sewing a Friendship are colorful and creative personalities. In her "Introduction of Characters," Natalie presents an overview of the characters in her book, including her grandma and grandma's dog, Dogon. Each character has different talents and likes and dislikes. Jonsy Jipsy loves to sing and belly dance, Sokron Blossom lives in a neat and tidy world and loves to read fashion magazines. Meeka likes brain games - the more numbers involved, the better -- and Nina is happy with her life and the music it brings her.

All but one of the characters seems happy with their lives. One of the girls, Kiki Shaver, was sad living a small home with her aunt and uncle. She had no friends and didn't know how to make them. When four girls invite her into the circle of their friendship, it's no wonder that Kiki is hesitant and apprehensive. She doesn't want to be hurt.

The story continues as the five girls become a team in an attempt to win a fashion show. How four girls invite and accept a "not so likable" girl into their lives skillfully acquaints the readers with the characters and the dilemmas that confront them as they invite a hesitant Kiki into their circle and begin to "sew a friendship" that they'll all benefit from.

Today, it seems that almost every news headline begins with a child's suicide - or murder - because of being bullied, not having friends or family to discuss issues with and feelings of low self esteem. What's causing this rash of senseless tragedies? If more ten-year-olds were as insightful as Natalie Tinti, perhaps more kids would invite the outcasts into their circle of friends and lives would be saved as well as pointed in another direction.

Natalie Tinti finds her voice in Sewing a Friendship - and demonstrates a talent that's rare for such a young girl; especially one who wants to help kids realize that they can help others and accomplish remarkable things that can change the world when they set their minds to do it. Recommended reading for all YA fans.

This book review covers Sewing A Friendship by Natalie Tinti

Article Source: Mending Lives and Teaching Friendship With a New Young Author ( )
  audreyl1969 | May 5, 2010 |

The four best friends, who are seven-year-old girls, are super excited about the start of summer! Their adventure begins with getting out of school and talking about a pink sleepover. But things do not run smoothly when nine-year-old Kiki, the rival girl, gets in the way by uninviting the girls to a famous fashion show. When she mentioned, "But of course you're not invited. What a shame! Ha," the girls dash to Sokron's house to talk of how they could be in the fashion show also. "We can use newspapers, leaves, flowers, floppy toys, dog hair, candy wraps, super glue, peanut butter, and gel,..." excitedly pasted Jonsy, as she started to list ideas. Everything seemed as though it would work out, except one little thing: an invitation stated that every team must have five people and their model should be at least nine years old.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:13 -0400)

Four best friends excited about the start of summer! Their adventure begins with getting out of school and talking about a pink sleepover. T hen, they find an invitation to a fashion show. But things do not run smoothly when Kiki gets in the way. Will the girls still be able to have fun and participate in the fashion show?… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,080,470 books! | Top bar: Always visible