The Novice (The Black Magician Trilogy, Book…

The Novice (The Black Magician Trilogy, Book 2) (original 2002; edition 2004)

by Trudi Canavan

Member:Torech
Title:The Novice (The Black Magician Trilogy, Book 2)
Authors:Trudi Canavan
Info:Harper Voyager (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 480 pages

The Novice by Trudi Canavan (2002)

English (46)  Dutch (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (50)
At 27% I wrote: "Regin is such a gross little gremlin honestly. Like Draco Malfoy except also a sexual predator. So far this book has been about Sonea getting bullied in a hundred different ways, Akkarin being hot and mysterious and possibly evil, and Dannyl having the worst gaydar in the Allied Lands"

And honestly if that wasn't the mood for the whole book ( )
  camillawb | Nov 6, 2018 |
This is part 2 of the Black Magician Trilogy and continues the story of Sonea as she develops her skills as a magician.

The Bad Stuff: As with all trudi's books, I struggle with the writing style sometimes, ie. Internal Monologue.

The Good Stuff: The story world is well developed and this book builds on the existing characters, adding more dimension to them and the world.

I personally enjoyed this more than the first book in this Trilogy. This series is a good read with a few twists you won't see coming. I give it 4 out of 5 golden bookmarks. ( )
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
Il primo volume ha posto le basi per un buon "secondo capitolo", che riesce ad avvincere pur se a volte la trama risulta essere un po' prevedibile. ( )
  cecca | Jul 31, 2017 |
My main issue with this book was how Sonea kept withdrawing from conflict instead of dealing with it.

I think that mainly due to my testosterone and the male ability to put EVERYTHING into terms of fight or die".

Something about Akkaron just doesn't wring true. The final paragraphs made me feel much better about him and that shouldn't be the case with a main antagonist.

Dannyl and his issues did make it such that I would not be buying this series. Deviancy has no place in my home." ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Sonea continues her training growing in strength and intrigues occur at the Guild. ( )
  brakketh | Nov 18, 2016 |

Trudi Canavanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my mother, Irene Canavan, who always said that, with hard work and determination, I could be anything I wanted to be.
For a few weeks each summer, the sky over Kyralia cleared to a harsh blue and the sun beat down relentlessly.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060575298, Mass Market Paperback)

"Even if a magician's powers surface of their own accord, he will soon be dead if he does not gain the knowledge of how to control them."

Alone among all the novices in the Magicians' Guild, only Sonea comes from lowly beginnings. Yet she has won powerful allies—including Lord Dannyl, newly promoted to Guild Ambassador. But Dannyl must now depart for the Elyne court, leaving Sonea at the mercy of the lies and malicious rumors her enemies are busy spreading . . . until the High Lord Akkarin steps in. The price of Akkarin's support is dear, however, because Sonea, in turn, must protect his mysteries—and a secret that could lead a young novice mage deep into the darkness.

Meanwhile, Dannyl's first order to resume High Lord Akkarin's long-abandoned research into ancient magical knowledge is setting him on an extraordinary journey fraught with unanticipated peril—as he moves ever-closer to a future both wondrous . . . and terrible.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:48 -0400)

Despite her lowly beginnings, Sonea has won powerful allies in the Magicians' Guild, including newly promoted Guild Ambassador Lord Dannyl, but when Dannyl leaves, Sonea is left at the mercy of the lies and malicious rumors her enemies are spreading.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,268,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible