The High Lord (The Black Magician Trilogy,…

The High Lord (The Black Magician Trilogy, Book 3) (original 2003; edition 2004)

by Trudi Canavan

Member:Torech
Title:The High Lord (The Black Magician Trilogy, Book 3)
Authors:Trudi Canavan
Info:Eos (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 531 pages

The High Lord by Trudi Canavan (2003)

Recently added byTaraWood, AFaith, rena75, johnnyg77, aoifekerr, private library, NielsK, Didici, Corayana

English (49)  German (3)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (55)
The High Lord is the third book in Trudi Canavan's Black Magician Trilogy. It carries on the journey of Sonea as she continues to learn the art of magic. In this final instalment, Sonea and Akkarin have been exiled from Kyralia for the use of Black Magic.

The Bad Stuff: As always, I struggle with the internal monologue and it's use to lead the reader. There are some obvious plot twists that could have been presented more subtly.

The Good Stuff: This is set in a well defined world, with familiar characters whose stories have been followed through the previous two books. The story flows smoothly and brings a conclusion to the series.

On the whole this was a great end to the Black Magician series. I enjoyed all three books and so far, have found this title to be my favourite of Trudi's books. I give this one 4 out of 5 golden bookmarks. ( )
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
the ending was unpredictable. I thought this would be another happy-ending story, but I was wrong.
Well, despite of it, I still LOVE this book, and LOVE Akkarin :) ( )
  gabrielleindah | Jan 15, 2018 |
Dannyl and Tayend. Enough said. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Satisfying and enjoyable conclusion to the Black Magician Trilogy. Sonea is vindicated and some societal change occurs. ( )
  brakketh | Nov 21, 2016 |
I was dying to read this book after the huge cliffhanger in the second book. The first and middle parts of this book were absolutely awesome; I was completely glued to this story. Unfortunately the ending absolutely sucked in the most sucky of sucky ways.

I listened to this on audiobook and the narrator did an amazing job. I highly recommend listening to this series on audiobook.

This is one of those books that is tough to review without spoilers; so I will put a spoiler header in here further down.

The first part of the story focuses on Sonea as she deals with being Akkarin’s apprentice. Akkarin reveals some truths to Sonea in very convincing ways. This leads Sonea down a difficult path along Akkarin’s side.

The story is well written and flows nicely. I loved the characters as well. The story really focuses on Akkarin and Sonea; although Dorian, Robin, and others still play a big role in the story as well. Akkarin is the best character in this series so I was excited to have him feature so much in this story.

Things end up coming together nicely and I loved how all the factions of the city (commoners, dwells, thieves, and mages) had to band together to face a larger fault.

Now for the spoilers….

-----------BIG SPOILERS START-------------------------
I loved how Sonea stuck up for her beliefs and what she thought was right. The fact that she stands steadfastly by Akkarin’s side for the sake of the kingdom and her own believes showed amazing strength and also showed how much she had matured as a character and magician. Even when Akkarin wants to take the fall by himself and leave Sonea out of it, Sonea refuses to make things easy for herself and the Guild and instead does what is right.

Sonea and Akkarin falling in love and becoming a couple was perfect. They complement each other so well; neither one will let the other falter and they both temper each other when either start to go down a path that’s too dark. I loved that they had started thinking about ways to change the future of Imardin and improve it for future generations. I was so looking forward to seeing Sonea and Akkarin come back and help the city improve and really put energy into taking care of the city they loved so much.

So...well screw that! said Canavan...I have a better idea let’s f%^&% kill Akkarin right at the end of the battle. Because you know neither Sonea nor Akkarin has suffered enough personally throughout this series. They only both lost all their friends and their home trying to save this stupid city, so right when they get to the pinnacle of victory let’s kill off the best character in this book.

As if that’s not enough let’s take this awesome, beautiful, and strong new person Sonea has become (despite all her previous trials and tortures) and crush the emotional fight out of her once and for all. Nope, no happiness for this girl. In fact let’s pour salt in the wound and make her pregnant too! That way she can be a perpetually sad woman, who is shadow of herself and continues to be ostracized by the guild for not only being Black Magician left but for being pregnant with a potentially powerful child as well.

I don’t get it, why take a great story and give it this awful and contrived ending that does nothing but destroy the best characters in the book. So depressing and sad and anti-climatic.
-----------BIG SPOILERS END-------------------------

Overall this was a great series and this book definitely wraps it up...but not nicely. The majority of the book is fantastic and engaging, the world and characters are amazing. The ending sucks big time and kind of made me sad I read this series at all. I don’t plan on reading anymore of Canavan’s books because the ending to this series angered me big time. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 17, 2016 |

Trudi Canavanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my friends, Yvonne and Paul. Thank you for your help, honesty and patience, and for reading this story over, and over, and over . . .
In ancient Kyralian poetry the moon is known as the Eye.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060575301, Mass Market Paperback)

"You want to know the truth."

Sonea has learned much since she was but a penniless urchin possessing an awesome untapped ability. She has earned the grudging respect of her fellow novices and a place in the Magicians' Guild. But there is much she wishes she had never learned—what she witnessed, for example, in the underground chamber of the mysterious High Lord Akkarin . . . and the knowledge that the Guild is being observed closely by an ancient fearsome enemy.

Still, she dares not ignore the terrifying truths the High Lord would share with her, even though she fears it may be base trickery, a scheme to use her astonishing powers to accomplish his dark aims. For Sonea knows her future is in his hands—and that only in the shadows will she achieve true greatness . . . if she survives.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:32 -0400)

"You want to know the truth." Sonea has learned much since she was but a penniless urchin possessing an awesome untapped ability. She has earned the grudging respect of her fellow novices and a place in the Magicians' Guild. But there is much she wishes she had never learned -- what she witnessed, for example, in the underground chamber of the mysterious High Lord Akkarin . . . and the knowledge that the Guild is being observed closely by an ancient fearsome enemy. Still, she dares not ignore the terrifying truths the High Lord would share with her, even though she fears it may be base trickery, a scheme to use her astonishing powers to accomplish his dark aims. For Sonea knows her future is in his hands -- and that only in the shadows will she achieve true greatness . . . if she survives. In this engaging conclusion, Sonea has learned much as a novice in the Magicians' Guild. But she'll never forget what she witnessed in the underground chamber of the mysterious High Lord Akkarin. Sonea knows her future is in his hands--and that only in the shadows will she achieve true greatness, if she survives.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,161,367 books! | Top bar: Always visible