Voice of the Gods by Trudi Canavan

Voice of the Gods (2006)

by Trudi Canavan

Series: Age of the Five Trilogy (Book 3)

Recently added bymiracle152004, wpisfs, private library, g4dzooks, Shaidz, kpevjen, si_j_peacock

Overall I liked the universe Trudi Canavan created in this series but I found the story and the characters a bit disappointing and most of all too predictable.
Nothing surprised me, not even the ending that was painfully obvious from book one, and yet it still was supposed to be a major plot point.
It wasn't in any case boring and I had some fun reading the third book but I wasn't drawn to the characters until the very end and nothing ever felt special.
I think it was even more of a disapointment because I had enjoyed her previous work so much.
Worth a read if you have the time and nothing else in stock. ( )
  ElenaF | Feb 26, 2014 |
great end to a greaqt trilogy, have read it twice and would happily read it again. ( )
  rincewind1986 | May 24, 2009 |
Canavan’s Black Magician trilogy is up there amongst my favourite reads. In comparison, this series has seemed flat and predictable. The first two in the trilogy were OK, but this one is the least strong of all her novels so far. It's a solid 3 stars, but it could have been so much more – in fact, the whole series fell just short of hitting the mark.

The ending will not come as much of a surprise to most, unless you've been guilty of skipping pages searching for some plot points and action and missed all the obvious foreshadowing of the final plot twist. If the Circle killed ALL the other gods during the Time of the Many, where did the Pentadrian gods from? The answer was so obvious all the way through, yet the entire book hinged on this plot point.

The background about the Gods was interesting, and explained a lot that had come before in Priestess of the White and Last of the Wilds. But there were so many characters and story threads that could have been developed much more. I would like to know more about the Elai; the relationship between Emerahl/Mirar/Auraya could stand much more development; Danjin Spear and Reivan are really interesting; what is the history of the Twins and Gull; and why is Mischief the only veez we hear anything about?

Maybe these threads will provide material for future explorations – I hope so.

Having said that, I found myself thinking about the world she had created even after I had closed the book. And this is Canavan's skill. ( )
3 vote Jawin | May 11, 2009 |
I decided about 75 pages in that life was too short and that this story needed to go back to the library it came from. Maybe some other day but I doubt it.
  wyvernfriend | Apr 30, 2009 |
I picked up the first two of the books in the trilogy just to have a nice easy story to read for a change. Shortly after starting the first book I found myself really starting to get immersed in Canavan's world and started to care about her characters far more than I expected to. When I finished the second book I was itching to get the third and finish the story, unfortunately I had a wait of several months. I would like to say that the wait was worth it but I can't. Although the third book is not bad and was not a struggle to read, it can unfortunately be described in one word. Predictable. In all honesty you can see the ending coming from very early in the book and it does leave you feeling a bit flat when you finish and not have had any curve balls thrown at you. Overall a good book but don't be expecting any surprises. ( )
1 vote rickya100 | May 27, 2008 |

Trudi Canavanprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0060815922, Mass Market Paperback)

Unable to avoid being drawn into the terrible conflict, Auraya, now protector of the Siyee, fears she will be unable to meet the conditions of the all-powerful gods she once served. And an offer from a mysterious woman may be impossible for Auraya to refuse, but, if revealed, would brand her an enemy of the gods. Now, the immortal Wilds will not be deterred in their quest for powerful, long-buried secrets. But they have deadly adversaries who also seek the world-shattering truth . . . and it may appear in a form that no one anticipates.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:49 -0400)

In her new role as protector of the Siyee, Auraya investigates sightings of a landwalker stranger in their land. She meets a mysterious woman claiming to be a friend of Mirar's: a woman who makes an offer Auraya is unable to refuse, but which she must conceal or risk the wrath of the gods.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,387,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible