The Magicians' Guild (The Black…

The Magicians' Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy, Book 1) (original 2001; edition 2004)

by Trudi Canavan

4,200871,714 (3.85)94
Member:biglou8501
Title:The Magicians' Guild (The Black Magician Trilogy, Book 1)
Authors:Trudi Canavan
Info:Eos (2004), Mass Market Paperback, 384 pages

The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan (2001)

Recently added byprivate library, rena75, Emvignya, Angie_RBJ, DajiBooks, ishamaeli
    The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (Bama6776)
    Alanna: The First Adventure by Tamora Pierce (Owlnip)
    The Naming by Alison Croggon (ed.pendragon)
    ed.pendragon: Another opening volume in a fantasy trilogy by an Australian author, featuring a strong-minded female lead.
    A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin (Bama6776)

English (77)  German (3)  Spanish (2)  Italian (2)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (87)
The Magicians' Guild is basically a story about Sonea, a girl with innate magical abilities that appear when she throws a stone at a magician of the guild in anger. On realising she has magical power the guild search to find her before her magic consumes her, but she thinks they want punish her for throwing the stone and so is in hiding.

The Bad Stuff: Trudi Canavan tends to use a lot of internal thought to convey what she wants the reader to know or think, this irritated me a little. Some of the story was a little predictable.

The Good Stuff: I liked the different characters and cultures within this story. The world is also well established.

On the whole, this was a very enjoyable book, Trudy Canavan has created a solid fantasy world with interesting characters that will carry you through the story and leave you wanting more. I give this one 4 out of 5 golden bookmarks. ( )
  AWA1 | Sep 24, 2018 |
3.5/5 stars
I ended up really enjoying this book! I didn't really have any expectations going in - I had picked this up at my local used bookstore, and I liked it!

We follow Sonea, a "dwell" - a girl who lives in the slums and her journey with her friends, the magicians, and how she discovers her magic.

I actually really enjoyed Sonea's character development and her journey with her magic. I also really liked Dannyl and Rothen and Cery. They were all very well fleshed out and well developed.

The plot was a little slow, but the pacing remained the same throughout the whole novel. I liked the detail we got of each part of the plot and how things progressed.

The writing was engaging as well.

Overall, it was good, and I will continue on with the series at some point. ( )
  jdifelice | Jan 20, 2018 |
This is the start of a very interesting world. It's created internal tension, external tension, and the threat of problems due to its many character conflicts. The difficulty became the slow build of the story line to reach the point of moving at a decent pace. It isn't until you near the end that you see the need of the building the author did early on. The normal trope appears here: powerful magic user who didn't know gets sought for their new found power.

One gripe: Too many names ending with the similar end sound. Sonea, Tania, Dania... The characters might be different but the names blended together.

There was little question who the focus bad guy would be in the book. It was telegraphed, dropped in front of the reader. Sure, some red herrings were offered, but they didn't hold well enough to distract. The overarching plot bad guy, on the other hand, they were a surprise.

I'm saying this is a worthy start to a series and I'm interested to see where the author goes from here. ( )
  gilroy | Feb 16, 2017 |
I really enjoyed this. Not sure it actually deserves a 4 star rating, because everything was a bit simplistic as far as I was concerned and the 'badguy' wasn't so bad, at least until you realize he truly is small potatoes compared to the reveal at the end. Now that was cool!

Definitely going to be reading the whole trilogy... ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
fantastic start to a trilogy. a well thought out universe , few spelling mistakes but generally great ( )
  grlewry | Sep 22, 2016 |

Trudi Canavanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Stawicki, MattCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Targete, Jean PierreCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is dedicated to my father, Denis Canavan. He provided the spark that lit the twin fires of curiosity and creativity.
It was said, in Imardin, that the wind has a soul, and that it wails through the narrow city streets because it is grieved by what it finds there.

Young girl with "powers".
"Establishment" tries to zap.
Finally accepts!
(Sinetrig)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006057528X, Mass Market Paperback)

"We should expect this young woman to be more powerful than our average novice, possibly even more powerful than the average magician."

This year, like every other, the magicians of Imardin gather to purge the city of undesirables. Cloaked in the protection of their sorcery, they move with no fear of the vagrants and miscreants who despise them and their work—until one enraged girl, barely more than a child, hurls a stone at the hated invaders . . . and effortlessly penetrates their magical shield.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:52 -0400)

This year, like every other, the magicians of Imardin gather to purge the city of undesirables. Cloaked in the protection of their sorcery, they move with no fear of the vagrants and miscreants who despise them and their work -- until one enraged girl, barely more than a child, hurls a stone at the hated invaders . . . and effortlessly penetrates their magical shield. What the Magicians' Guild has long dreaded has finally come to pass. There is someone outside their ranks who possesses a raw power beyond imagining, an untrained mage who must be found and schooled before she destroys herself and her city with a force she cannot yet control.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,425,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible