Chicken Big by Keith Graves

Chicken Big

by Keith Graves

All member reviews
I liked this book for a few different reasons. One reason that I liked the book was because I had heard the story of Chicken Little before and I was excited to see the adapted version of the story. Another thing that I liked about the story was the illustrations. I felt that these illustrations were not only essential to the story but also they enhanced the written text. I thought that it was nice for the reader to be able to see the size difference between the big chick and the other chickens and the coop. Another thing that I liked about the story was the written text. I really liked that the author not only included the spoken text from the characters, but he also included the inner thoughts from the big chick. I thought it added a lot to the story to see what the big chick was thinking while the other chickens made comments about him. In my opinion, the overall message of the story was to not judge a book by its cover because you never know what they will be like on the inside. ( )
  sradin2 | Nov 19, 2013 |
This book turns Chicken Little on its head. Is this the Big Red Hen as a child? Chicken Boo perhaps? ( )
  pussreboots | Aug 8, 2013 |
Clever take on the Chicken Little story. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Chicken Big is a (you guessed it!) giant chicken. Throughout the book, the other chickens can't seem to figure out what he is ("he's an elephant!", "he's a sweater!"). The other chickens do not allow him in the coop until the very end when they find out that he is, in fact, a chicken.

I really loved the illustrations in this book and thought this book was cute! ( )
  bereneezypie | Apr 26, 2013 |
Chicken Big is a humungous chick born in an itty-bitty coop, on a teeny little farm, and the other (very small, definitely not too bright) chickens don't know what to make of him. Could he be an elephant? Definitely too big to be a chicken, anyway! Chicken Big protects them each time they panic about something, keeping them dry in the rain, for example (could he be an umbrella?). After he rescues their eggs from the fox, the chickens finally realize that “only one thing could be so smart, so kind, so warm, and so brave.... a chicken!” Winner of a 2011 E.B. White Read-Aloud Picture Book Honor Award, this is a fun story for preschool to grade two, who will enjoy the silly antics of the little chickens. ( )
  gail208 | Dec 5, 2012 |
This book is about a chicken who is very unique. He happens to be very large and not small like the other chickens. The other chickens keep trying to guess what he is and suggest things like, elephant, sweater, squirrel, and umbrella. It is only until the big chicken rescues their eggs do they realize that he is actually a chicken. This book would be great to teach that be different is okay and that people should be treated the same way. Also, this book shows how writing sizes is written. For example, little rooster, small chicken, smaller chicken and smallest chicken. ( )
  Bethany1221 | Nov 5, 2012 |
Kids love this book. I think it has possibilities for a readers theater production. ( )
  brangwinn | Oct 25, 2012 |
With an artistic style reminiscent of Looney Tunes, Keith Graves' "Chicken Big" showcases the benefits of being unique and kindhearted, even in the face of ridicule. When a tin hen lays an egg bigger than anything in comparison, the local coop becomes hysterical over what kind of animal might be inside. Once hatched, the humongous chick becomes misidentified as an elephant, a squirrel, and even an umbrella. The theme of being open to someone who looks different permeates through the light-hearted tale. ( )
  edeidrich | Sep 11, 2012 |
This book was so funny. I liked that the other chickens kept thinking the big chicken was something else like a sweater or hippo or squirrel. ( )
  ashcamp2086 | Mar 7, 2012 |
Comedy ensues in the coop when a large, well, huge, chicken comes out of the egg. No one can tell what he is and soon the big chicken is wo rried he may not fit in. There are many things that Big Chicken can do for his friends but they still doubt that he could be one of them! Soon, Big Chicken sees a mean old fox steal some eggs from the coop and off he goes, clambering over the hills to the fox hole where he rescues the eggs, much to the delight of his friends at the farm. Big Chicken quickly finds himself accepted by the others.
  emb2 | Dec 5, 2011 |
Summary:
This book is about a BIG egg that hatches a very BIG chicken. The other small chickens do not know what the BIG chicken is. At first, the others think he is an elephant. Then they think he is a squirrel, umbrella, sweater, hippopotamus, cow, and finally they realize he is a chicken just like them.

Personal Reflection:
I thought this book was very cute and funny. My nephew really enjoyed this book and laughed the whole time. It shows the children that no matter if you are big, small, tall, short, skinny, or hefty, you are still yourself.

Classroom Extension:
1. This is a great book to read to get the day started and to put everyone in a good mood.
2. This book would help show the students to be themselves no matter what ( )
  laceyfield | Oct 30, 2011 |
On a teeny, teeny farm, a little bitty hen just laid an ENORMOUS EGG! It can't possibly be a chicken. So what is it? ShAkE, RaTtLe, CRACK - the egg hatches and out pops...Chicken Big! Despite the feathers, the other chickens just can't accept that whatever hatched out of that egg is a chicken. Through a series of hilarious events, the not-so-bright chickens try to decide what Chicken Big really is...a squirrel, an umbrella, a sweater? It's not until Chicken Big saves the other eggs from a greedy, hungry fox, that they realize Chicken Big really IS a chicken! After all, what other animal could be so smart, kind and brave?

Readers of all ages will enjoy this book. The funny characters, clever dialogue and fun illustrations will bring a smile to all! ( )
  Pangle | Apr 19, 2011 |
Really fun to read aloud. Especially after reading Chicken Little. A Large egg hatches and a big chicken pops out. The other chickens don't know what it is and their guesses are pretty out there, like an elephant, or an umbrella. The kids loved it and it ties up happily in the end. ( )
  oapostrophe | Nov 22, 2010 |
Chicken Big is a great read-aloud book for all ages. I love Chicken Big! I am impressed with the author's writing and story telling. I think he is pure genius. Keith Graves mentioned that his grandpa read stories to him each night in his bio. First I began reading this delightful children's book in one sitting and howled aloud. As a grandma, it was pure delight to read this winning book to my grandson who giggled with glee and then my husband overheard the story and chuckled as well.

The story starts with the main character, a really big chicken called Chicken Big who was born from a hen egg. The story line moves along with other not-so-smart chicken character's being introduced from the chicken community who are trying to figure out just what this enormous someone really is. Perhaps he's an elephant. At any rate, Chicken Big is just too big to fit into their group so they boot him out.

Soon all the little chickens are clucking with excitement (you know how they get) and seem to be alarmed that all of their chicken eggs have been stolen by a sly red fox. No worries, this story has a very happy ending because Chicken Big saves the day and happily is accepted in the chicken community. There is definitely room for this big dude in their coop!

Charming book with great pictures and humor, plus a classic fable. It's great to laugh, too. ***** stars. I highly recommend Chicken Big to kindergarten-5th grade teachers, parents of little ones and then to all precious grandparents who love those endless laughing moments of complete hysteria, entertainment with education, for sure with their grandchildren. (Makes a great gift book, too). ( )
  LadyD_Books | Nov 11, 2010 |
As long as we're doing chicken stories...most of us know the story of foolish Chicken Little...but what about Chicken Big? When a truly enormous, gigantic, HUMONGOUS chick pops out of his massive shell, there's widespread panic among the chickens. He's too big to be a chick - so what IS he? An elephant? An umbrella? A hippopotamus? As Chicken Big helps out the foolish chickens, their guesses get wilder and wilder until finally they realize the truth and Chicken Big finds his place in the world.

The outrageous humor, silly chickens, and panel-style illustrations will make this a fun favorite for both storytimes and individual enjoyment.

Verdict: Recommended. Pair this with Chicken Little for storytime, so you make sure your audience gets all the jokes, and hand it to kids up to 1st or 2nd grade who will appreciate the raucous humor and jokes on the original story.
  JeanLittleLibrary | Nov 1, 2010 |
This BIG, hilarious twist on the classic Chicken Little story lends a whole new perspective to what it means to be chicken.

Look up in the barnyard, it's an ostrich, it's a tractor... nope, it's just the biggest chicken you've ever seen!

Chicken Big is confused about his size as are the other chickens in the coop, who mistake him for many things including an elephant and an over-sized umbrella there to keep them dry.

As someone who raises chickens, this adorable children's story kept me chuckling all the way through. A true delight that my rural boys also appreciated and giggled right along with me.

This endearing, uplifting tale about kindness, courage, and "fitting in" is illustrated with fun, bright, big pictures every child will love. Highly recommended for kids of all ages and chicken lovers everywhere! ( )
  BarbWebb | Oct 16, 2010 |
Top notch review for many reasons....one of which is that while this is a picture book aimed at audiences approximately 4-8 years old, it can truly be enjoyed by one and all. The crazy/fun little chickens and their lack of understanding about the "BIG" disturbance in their family circle provides BIG fun. Expressed through comical quotes and thought bubbles, you'd think that'd be enough...nope. The author and illustrator worked hand in hand and provided wonderful illustrations to match the mood of each page. Really, just try not to laugh at the BIG chicken's facial expressions as the story progresses...I'll bet you find yourself smiling the whole way through. Happy reading! ( )
  GRgenius | Aug 19, 2010 |
Keith Graves is kind of a brilliant guy. I mean he has written a story that's a great read-aloud and which had my two children and myself racing to the end to see what happens.

The story begins with an EGG BIG being laid. Out from it pops a really huge chick. He's so large in fact that the other chickens don't recognize what he is. They stand around using various modifiers that mean BIG until the Smallest Chicken, who isn't "the sharpest beak in the flock", exclaims that Big Chick must be an elephant.

The chickens then more-or-less come to the conclusion that an elephant doesn't belong in a coop, and they shove him outside. Things might have gone badly from there except that the next day there's an incident with an acorn. The Smallest Chicken gets bonked on the head, panics, and sends the others running -- for don't ya know, the sky is falling. They are in a serious tizzy until Big Chick calmly points out that there's nothing wrong and that it's only an acorn falling from the tree, the way acorns do. Big Chick then announces that acorns are tasty, which is quite unfortunate because the silly chickens then conclude that Big Chick must be a squirrel, because in their tiny minds they associate squirrels with acorns.

The rest of the book proceeds with similar funny misidentifications as the chickens keep identifying a single act with a particular critter or item. Dryness with Umbrellas, Warmth with Sweaters, for example.

THE SKINNY:::
The artwork in Chicken Big is great fun. The expressions on the birds are priceless.

I really like that this isn't some vacuous story. There are actually some real good ideas to consider here.

After we read the book through twice in a row, we talked about where the chickens had gone wrong. That they had jumped to conclusions without enough information. It was an opportunity for me to give my 'scientific method' and 'logic' pitch. After which we talked about how we should give others a fair chance before labeling them based on how they look.

Don't worry though if your children are younger. Chicken Big is a great read-aloud and they'll enjoy it for the zany characters and artwork.

For teachers who want to add it to their classrooms, or parents looking for a book for their children to practice reading, Chicken Big is written at the 2.7 AR level.

Pam T~
mom and blogger ( )
  PamFamilyLibrary | Aug 17, 2010 |

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,113,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible