Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

Queen Pin by Jemeker Thompson-Hairston
621,268,033 (2.9)None

This review was first posted on my blog: http://jewelknits.blogspot.com/2010/08/queen-pin-book-review-and-giveaway.html

My Take: It's always been interesting to me to see how people choose to live their lives and to figure out what makes people take a certain path.

This book attempts to describe the life of someone who finds herself drawn into the world of drugs and money. NOT because she had no other choice, but because she was vain and money-hungry, really.

I felt no sympathy at all for her - she chose to live a certain life, and even when that voice inside was telling her to quit, she kept doing it. And she paid a heavy price for it. losing the rest of her son's growing up years in prison.

Although this seems as though it could have been a great memoir, it was all surface to me. There was not enough detail to make anyone seem drawn to life, even though it is an autobiography. The writing was rather detached and clinical, and, as such, I felt as though I were reading a newspaper account. There is no real lesson in the book either. No real moralizing on how wrong the path taken was, no real true-blue shaking of the faith, either. For me, this was a dry, rather lackluster account of snippets of someone's life that somehow didn't seem very cohesive or tied together.

A friend of mine, on the other hand, LOVED this book and blew through it, giving it back to me the day after I gave it to her.

This is why I say that my rating system is based on my OWN enjoyment of a book. What's good for one may not be as good for the next reader. Maybe it's because most memoirs (with exceptions, most notably "Southie") all feel to me as though the person narrating is not actually the person who lived that life (in this case, with ghost writers, it's true).

QUOTES:

Soon as it was over, Muh'Dear pulled me aside. "Don't you ever speak out against family, Meechee." She looked me in my eyes and said, "Friends come and go but your family is forever, You don't go against your family, no matter what."

"Remember me?" I asked, tapping her on the shoulder. From the look on her face, I didn't think she did. But it didn't matter. I knew who she was and as I threw the first punch I let her know who I was. I was Daff's wife.

I could and would be the queen of anything I set my mind to ( )
  jewelknits | Aug 29, 2010 |
From My Blog...

Queen Pin by Jemeker Thompson-Hairston is the true story of Jemeker “Queen Pin” Thompson-Hairston’s life. Queen Pin is not the average memoir but rather a story of how Jemeker went from a homeless child to running one of the largest drug cartels in the 80s and 90s. The narrative begins with Jemeker trying to evade capture by the Feds; yet desperate to see her son’s 6th grade graduation, she ends up being captured. Jemeker then takes the reader back to her childhood and the paths, which lead to her becoming “Queen Pin”, and subsequently being arrested and doing time in federal penitentiaries where her life changed around and Jemeker became an evangelist. Queen Pin is a fast paced book filled with raw emotion and descriptions and the path one woman’s life took from living in a motel to running a drug cartel to becoming an evangelist. Queen Pin is a memoir that I would recommend to adults only and those who do not mind reading about life with drugs as well as God. ( )
  knittingmomof3 | Jul 27, 2010 |

Jemeker Thompson-Hairston paid a heavy price for her involvement in the drug game. Learning from her sources of a federal investigation, Jemeker went on the run. It was love for her young son that brought her back to Los Angeles, even though she knew she would be arrested. A subsequent 15-year sentence would cost her not only her legitimate business and the fortune she'd amassed through the drug trade, but the most precious thing of all: time with her child. But not all was lost. Fortunately, while Thompson-Hairston was serving out the fifteen-year sentence, one pivotal moment helped her turn her life around, setting her on a path to help and inspire others like her. Now, in QUEEN PIN, written with New York Times bestselling author David Ritz, she reveals in gripping detail her journey of redemption that readers won't soon forget.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:29:23 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,704,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible