You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of…

You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises (2010)

by Mark Lauren, Joshua Clark

Recently added byMurshid, juliebarkley, tataylor2, Moongirl, jagmuse, vrullan, justchris, brew, twogerbils, private library
    Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy (caimanjosh)
    caimanjosh: Both probably about the best bodyweight training books you'll find. I think Bret's knowledge of strength training is probably better, but Mark Lauren's book is more comprehensive and complete. You can't go wrong with either.

English (5)  German (1)  All languages (6)
Contained is some very effective routines to keep your workout going at home, the office, or anywhere without the need for regular equipment. ( )
  capiam1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
  smcamp1234 | Aug 14, 2013 |
Although I still prefer lifting weights in most cases (over bodyweight exercises), the author here does make some good points out bodyweight exercises. They are, of course, always available -- good when you're traveling -- and tend to be excellent in terms of improving functional movement and core fitness. (That said, free weights allow for much easier progression, which is absolutely key to improving strength and building muscle.) The list of exercises is impressive, and I plan to try some of these out the next time I'm away from a gym and want to get some workouts in. The author's knowledge of the concepts of progression, periodization, and strength training is clear. Probably the best bodyweight exercise book I'm aware of. Recommended if you would like to make use of bodyweight exercises to improve or maintain fitness. ( )
1 vote caimanjosh | May 28, 2013 |
I have to echo buchowl's review! I'm a bodyweight exercises novice, but You Are Your Own Gym has been a great introduction. I've been a member of a gym for a long time, but since I took on a new job I haven't had time. A friend recommended the book to me, and it has taken my workout to a new level. After three weeks of 20 minute sessions five days a week, I've already noticed new definition in my arms and legs. Each of Lauren's exercises includes tips to take it up or down a notch, so I can work at my own pace. The militaristic tone doesn't bother me as much as some recurring grammatical errors ("loose" instead of "lose") but I contacted the publisher (yes, I'm serious about grammar) and learned that the mistakes will be corrected in the next batch of books, due out in a few weeks. Grammar nit-picking aside, I've been extremely pleased with this book. He lays out eight different 20 minute workouts and within each workout, you can choose from a variety of exercises and tailor them to your own needs/goals. Although I personally have no military experience, Lauren's special ops training gives me confidence in his methods and results. Highly recommended! ( )
1 vote ehzs0416 | Jun 7, 2010 |
I hope I don't sound too much like an infomercial but this is could be the last workout book you ever need. Mark Lauren drew on his military training to put together the most complete collection of bodyweight exercises I have ever seen. What's so great about bodyweight exercises? Well, if you use bodyweight your gym is always with you and ready to go. And for those who have objections of bodyweight exercises being boring or not challenging enough Lauren will put an end to that thinking. There are 111 exercises in this book going from the very easy to the impossibly difficult so boring/not challenging won't be an issue. Exercises are well explained and demonstrated plus detailed photos of not only the exercises but the muscles you are working out with a particular set of exercises. There are also ready -made workout programs in the back of the book (although Lauren encourages you to make up your own workout program). Refreshingly devoid of ANY sales pitch for a product he is trying to sell, Lauren even gives recommendations of regular household items that can be used to enhance a workout. Well thought out and nicely put together, this is a book for the no nonsense fitness buff (or those who inspire to be one). Only complaints about the book are the heavily military flavor (yes, Mark, we know you are a stud but enough already) and the fact that the female demonstrator in the book is heavily made up. No way is this woman really going to sweat without a big mess (reminds me of the fifties where housewives are depicted in dresses and high heels as they clean -ugh) although kudos for not having her is an embarrassingly skimpy workout outfit. That said it is a great book and one I would recommend to anyone - man or woman - who is serious about getting fit. ( )
1 vote buchowl | May 23, 2010 |

Mark Laurenprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clark, Joshuamain authorall editionsconfirmed
In Memory of
Major William “Brian” Downs
Captain Jeremy J. Fresques “FS”
Captain Derek M. Argel “AL”
&
Staff Sergeant Casey J. Crate “CE”
I want you to understand, unlike many other fitness authors, I do not train movie stars, television celebrities, models, or other personalities whose livelihoods hinge on being fit.

From an elite Special Operations physical trainer, an ingeniously simple, rapid-results, do-anywhere program for getting into amazing shape.

As the demand for Special Operations military forces has grown over the last decade, elite trainer Mark Lauren has been at the front lines of preparing nearly one thousand soldiers, getting them lean and strong in record time. Now, for regular Joes and Janes, he shares the secret to his amazingly effective regimen—simple exercises that require nothing more than the resistance of your own bodyweight to help you reach the pinnacle of fitness and look better than ever before.

Armed with Mark Lauren’s motivation techniques, expert training, and nutrition advice, you’ll see rapid results by working out just thirty minutes a day, four times a week—whether in your living room, yard, garage, hotel room, or office. Lauren’s exercises build more metabolism-enhancing muscle than weightlifting, burn more fat than aerobics, and are safer than both, since bodyweight exercises develop balance and stability and therefore help prevent injuries. Choose your workout level—Basic, 1st Class, Master Class,and Chief Class—and get started, following the clear instructions for 125 exercises that work every muscle from your neck to your ankles. Forget about gym memberships, free weights, and infomercial contraptions. They are all poor substitutes for the world’s most advanced fitness machine, the one thing you are never without: your own body.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:21:52 -0400)

Presents a training guide to improving muscle strength and overall appearance, providing instructions for 125 exercises geared toward varying levels of fitness, and requiring only the resistance of one's own bodyweight.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,367,361 books! | Top bar: Always visible