Vermiss mein nicht: Roman by Cecelia Ahern

Vermiss mein nicht: Roman (edition 2009)

by Cecelia Ahern, Christine Strüh (Übersetzer)

Member:Buechereule90
Title:Vermiss mein nicht: Roman
Authors:Cecelia Ahern
Other authors:Christine Strüh (Übersetzer)
Info:Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag (2009), Ausgabe: 7, Taschenbuch, 440 Seiten
Rating:*****

A Place Called Here by Cecelia Ahern

English (69)  Dutch (3)  German (3)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (77)
I almost skipped over this book on account of its cover, which looks more like what I'd expect from a Christmas themed romance, but I checked it out anyway because I hated not finishing a library shelf properly. (I'm reading 'all' the adult fiction books in my local library, except the romance and 'inspirational' books, one shelf at a time.)
So, my first book finished for 2016 is this one, and it was actually really good. First of all, this story is set in Ireland, always a plus, and it is NOT a romance. It is in fact a sort of reimagining of the Wizard of OZ, sort of blended with a magical fairy land that reminds me of traditional Celtic fairy myths and Andre Norton Witch World books. And, if you have read Janina Matthewson's lovely novel,[b:Of Things Gone Astray|21805265|Of Things Gone Astray|Janina Matthewson|https://d.gr-assets.com/books/1422216148s/21805265.jpg|41068105] , this book has a similar theme and aesthetic. I really enjoyed this novel, a great way to start the new reading year. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
Ever since Sandy Shortt's classmate went missing Sandy has been obsessed with finding things. As an adult she runs a missing person agency. One day she goes missing. She finds her self in a place called "Here" where missing people, things, sounds and even smells go.

The book goes between Sandy and Jack, who went to Sandy to find his missing brother Donal.

I really enjoyed listening to this. I really liked Sandy. Sometimes I would get frustrated with the back and forth, just when one perspective gets interesting it switches to the other. But both sides kept my interest.

I enjoyed the ending

Favorite quotes:

“At moments when life is at its worst there are two things that you can do: 1) break down, lose hope, and refuse to go on while lying facedown on the ground banging your fists and kicking your legs or 2) laugh”

"That was the other thing I hated about kids; they always said the exact things that deep down you already knew, would never admit to, and most certainly never wanted to hear." ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 21, 2017 |
ok, about a girl that gets lost while searching for missing peoples. She finds a world where all the missing things and people go. Kind of dumb. Listened on audio Aoife McMahon & Aidan Mcardle - ok ( )
  Indygirl | Aug 5, 2016 |
I wanted to like this more than I did. Sandy is obsessed and it is hard to understand just how to feel about her. I liked Jack's story and character better. ( )
  tjsjohanna | Jul 11, 2016 |
Well written with a balance of "stories", the merging of the storylines was very well done. It was a light read with lots of simple characters that were drawn nicely with broad strokes to reduce the complexity.

I found it a lovely positive read and would recommend as a nice holiday read ( )
  Felicity-Smith | May 29, 2016 |
"A missing person is anyone whose whereabouts are unknown
whatever the circumstances of disappearance.
The person will be considered missing until located and his/her
well-being, or otherwise, established."
--An Gardai Siochana
For you, Dad - with all my love.
Per ardua surgo.
Jenny-May Butler, the little girl who lived across the road from me, went missing when I was a child.
British title, A Place Called Here. American title, There's No Place Like Here

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0786891319, Mass Market Paperback)

Acclaimed novelist Cecelia Ahern's There's No Place Like Here tells the story of Sandy Shortt, an obsessive-compulsive Missing Persons investigator who suddenly finds herself in the mystical land of the missing, desperate to return to the people and places from whom she has spent her life escaping. With this imaginative fourth novel, Ahern, whose P.S. I Love You was made into a major motion picture, continues to establish herself as not only an icon of Irish chick lit, but also a bold and creative thinker.

Continuing the whimsical trend she started with If You Could See Me Now, Ahern asks readers to step outside the boundaries of reality, and enter a world where missing people (and possessions) from all over the globe congregate to start anew. When Sandy goes on an early morning jog and strays too far into the forest, she too finds herself "Here," the aptly named home of the missing. In addition to finding her lost socks, diaries, and stuffed animals, she also finds many of the people she has searched for throughout her career. From Bobby Stanley, who disappeared from his mother's house at the age of sixteen, to Terrence O'Malley, a librarian who disappeared on his way home from work at age 55, Sandy is quickly reunited with the people she has come to know only through photos and heartbreaking memories shared by devastated loved ones who enlisted her services. Of course, finding these people and possessions only makes Sandy realize how much she has missed out on in her real life, most notably her concerned parents and her on again off again boyfriend Greg.

There's No Place Like Here is often predictable and the premise is a bit hard to swallow at times. Still, readers who take the leap will be rewarded with what is ultimately a witty, compassionate, and captivating love story. --Gisele Toueg

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:40 -0400)

Sandy Shortt has dedicated her life to finding missing people and missing things, so Jack Ruddle enlists her help in searching for his vanished brother. But when Sandy goes missing, Jack must hunt for her--and Sandy must find her way back home from a place called Here--a community where the missing seem to go.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Cecelia Ahern's book There's No Place Like Here was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,921,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible