Promise Me by Richard Paul Evans

Promise Me (2010)

by Richard Paul Evans

Great book - read it in 2 days! Interesting ideas and concepts. I would have liked to have seen Beth have a list for Matthew at the end - that felt kind of unresolved to me. ( )
  karen.collins | Jun 27, 2012 |
I LOVED this novel! I could not put it down and literally read it in one sitting in two hours!! The characters draw you close and you feel like you are a part of the story; love story that is. I smiled so much that I cried! Definitely a must read for Evans fans! ( )
  irinka87 | Jan 3, 2012 |
What is it with these Christmas books? No matter how much alike they are, no matter how predictable, you can’t get through them without crying.

This one is about a young woman, Beth, who was not having a good life. It was 1989. Beth discovered her husband was cheating. A lot. Nevertheless, she decided she still loved him and would forgive him, only to find out he was dying of pancreatic cancer. He died in October. Meanwhile, her daughter Charlotte developed a mysterious disease no one could diagnose. Between the medical bills for her husband and daughter, Beth could no longer afford payments on her house. Then on Christmas Day, during a quick trip to the neighborhood 7-Eleven, she met a handsome stranger, Matthew, who changed her life forever.

However, when we first meet Beth in a prologue, it’s Christmas Eve, 2008, and she is married to Kevin.

The desire to find out what happened in the intervening years keeps you reading to the end, when we come back full-circle to the beginning.

Discussion: This book is of the "holiday book" genre in which you expect certain tropes, like magic or angels, and in which you do not expect to find multisyllabic words or high-flown prose. Even accepting the parameters of the genre, however, the author seems to have forgotten some important parts of the plot set-up. Thus, in spite of the appealing aspects of his main conceit, there are crater-sized holes in the logic that the author just elides over at the end. However, this didn’t stop me from crying. Christmas books, Christmas movies, Christmas commercials – doesn’t matter: they turn me into a eye-leaking mess.

Evaluation: A readable Christmas book with a fun twist, albeit with a couple of gapingly large plot holes. ( )
  nbmars | Dec 16, 2011 |
The first and only book of RPE that I have not given 5 stars. While I did enjoy this book and found it hard to put down, I'm really not into the whole he dates his future mother-in-law thing. I get that he saved her and changed her future and his wife's for the better, but it's still kind of creepy. With the strong Christian theme's of RPE books I am surprised by this turn. While the overall message was good and it was written in the same addicting manner, I'm not completely in love with it. ( )
  roseysweetpea | Apr 18, 2011 |
The book started off at a slow pace. Dependent trusting wife, cheating husband, sick child, a death .. and everything else that you would normally expect. Don’t get me wrong; I enjoyed the read but the story had nothing new to offer. Just when I was giving up, Matthew entered and everything changed. The story was no longer just about romance and two people’s emotions.. It was about a mysterious man who was playing a vital role in a lone woman’s life. He was helping her live better; he diagnosis her daughter’s health condition, makes enough money for her to last a lifetime, loves her, cares for her daughter and seems to know a lot about her and the future – yet he does not get romantically linked with her.

Beth was someone I liked from the very first page. A brave woman who goes through a very tough phase in life but still manages to keep her spirits up and give life another chance. Her attraction towards Matthew and how she struggles initially is honest. The emotion and anger that she expresses when she doubts him of stealing her money is sincere. Matthew is a charm. He could sweep me off my feet any day and what makes him even more desirable is his ability to be honest to his relationships. The struggle by both of them to keep the relationship at the right level is so beautifully expressed.

“Promise Me” gave everything it promised and so much more. I enjoyed the book, the love, the characters and the writing. Now and then you come across a book that makes you feel good when you put it down and “Promise Me” did just that. ( )
  kavyen | Mar 15, 2011 |

Beth Cardall's life was falling apart: her six-year-old daughter, Charlotte, was suffering from an unidentifiable illness; her marriage transformed from a seemingly happy and loving relationship to one full of betrayal and pain; her job was increasingly at risk; and she had lost her ability to trust, to hope, or to believe in herself. Then, on Christmas day, Beth encountered Matthew.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,245,522 books! | Top bar: Always visible